Has an Alien civilization been found?

Moontanman

I can do without sensationalizing the headline when reporting science news. Something was found and more investigation will happen. Speculating that it's aliens is so un-science, and you have the gradual morphing (whisper game) of the question — which undoubtedly follows Betteridge's Law — into repeating it as a certainty. Purple monkey dishwasher.

Actually I had originally meant to use an emoticon to indicate this was a little bit tongue in cheek at least, how many times this year has it been announced this year that some sort of evidence of aliens has been found? My bad. I was distracted and failed to do so :ph34r:

Actually I had originally meant to use an emoticon to indicate this was a little bit tongue in cheek at least, how many times this year has it been announced this year that some sort of evidence of aliens has been found? My bad. I was distracted and failed to do so :ph34r:

It's not you, per se. The article suffered from the same failing. Too much sensationalism, not enough science.

• 4 weeks later...
Kepler my have found a mega structure around another star!

If it has then they are either

1. Far more advanced than us and capable of wiping us out

2. Extinct from something we haven't seen yet

either way we probably should stay away from them for a while. We can only hope that the reason we haven't seen aliens yet is because they can't see us. We should probably keep it that way.

Edited by fiveworlds

When I was young we used to knock on neighbours' doors and run away as a low level form of anti social behaviour.

On one occasion they followed us into our own garden where we cowered in the dark.

We could see them but they could not see us.

We got the message though and that was the last time we did it.... :)

It should be noted that this Star is 1500 light years away, they cannot know about us nor can we signal them in any reasonable time frame...

If they have a life span of 200,000 years, waiting 3,000 years for a reply would be a reasonable time frame for them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.