Will the cup of tea spill, and if so, which way?

studiot

We have had umpteen threads about forces and accelerations on rotating bodies, without result, so here is a question for those who think they know.

Put a cup, half full of tea, on the outer edge of a motorised lazy susan and spin.

What will happen to the surface of the tea in the cup.

Will it rise up one side, if so up the inner (close to the centre) or the outer?

What does this mean for the centrifugal v centripetal argument?

I have tried to find a video of this experiment without success. I can only find videos showing the vortex created by spinning the cup about its own axis. So I woudl be grateful if anyone can offer one.

You want something to move in a circle.

Here's the wrong line of reasoning: there's an outward push.

Here's the right line of reasoning: there needs to be in inward push. What is going to provide that?

I'd assume it should rise up on the outer edge, as the cup is accelerating towards the center. It's effectively the same result you'd get by sliding the cup quickly across the table and having the tea slosh backward over your hand.

Am I missing something about this set up that causes a non-obvious result?

Edited by Delta1212

I'd assume it should rise up on the outer edge, as the cup is accelerating towards the center. It's effectively the same result you'd get by sliding the cup quickly across the table and having the tea slosh backward over your hand.

Great example: if the cup is slid across the table, it is obvious that the force is in direction of motion. There is obviously no force in the other direction pushing the tea up the cup. Just like the circular motion example.

Thanks for the video, Google didn't find it for me.

That is probably because I only just filmed it! :)

It's the front wheel from my trusty hybrid, a carton which had nuts in, a bit of sellotape, some inky water, and some very bad cinematography

I wondered about that, I didn't think of a bicycle, though I've just pumped up a tyre this afternnoon. +1

I haven't the resources to do any graphics until June.

BTW I also never knew St James berries were red :)

Edited by studiot

Put a cup, half full of tea, on the outer edge of a motorised lazy susan and spin.

What will happen to the surface of the tea in the cup.

Will it rise up one side, if so up the inner (close to the centre) or the outer?

When accelerating the spin, it can rise opposite the acceleration. This direction can become inward with the first part of the rotation, before it becomes outward...and can slosh around before becoming primarily outward.

Here is an interesting sequel to imatfaal's experiment, courtesy the University of Illinois.

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=14308

The sand ends up in the middle because the vortex, made by stirring, is a funnel: descending grains follow the most active part of the funnel down. into the 'eye' at the bottom. I was thinking of tornados.

If the liquid in the teacup was frictionless, would the surface change?

Yes I think it would. But I think the viscosity of the liquid would matter even more - if I had filled the container with chain lube rather than water I think the angle would have been shallower than water which in turn would be shallower than ethanol (I could use vodka?). But maybe this would only really affect the time taken to reach equilibrium rather than the point of equilibrium itself. Good follow-up to a good op.

I have guests in my office all of next week so no chance for a follow up experiment with other liquids I am afraid

Yes I think it would. But I think the viscosity of the liquid would matter even more - if I had filled the container with chain lube rather than water I think the angle would have been shallower than water which in turn would be shallower than ethanol (I could use vodka?). But maybe this would only really affect the time taken to reach equilibrium rather than the point of equilibrium itself. Good follow-up to a good op.

I have guests in my office all of next week so no chance for a follow up experiment with other liquids I am afraid

If the liquid is frictionless, isn't the viscosity assumed to be negated?

If the liquid is frictionless, isn't the viscosity assumed to be negated?

I don't know - I think you are right.

The only frictionless liquid I could think of was supercooled liquid helium - and I wasn't even totally sure of what a frictionless liquid is other than superfluidity. So what I meant to imply by my post was that levels of room temperature viscosity was a more important and approachable question