Why Font Name When They Are Not Frequently Used?

When we post topics in SFN, we usually don`t consider the font type used as being too important. We simply type words as the font size given remains the same throughout the forum(SFN). If so, why still retain this function/service?

Until now, still unaware of post with different font types.

In the occasion that something is important and needs to be emphasized. Other options include bold and italic or even colors.

But it's considered poor form to use these too often, i.e. it's for emphasis, not for bodies of text.

As for the typefaces, those are options probably because word processors have them. People do use them on occasion, especially if they copy/paste from somewhere else. (In fact, it's one of the tipoffs that the person might have plagiarized or is spamming multiple forums with the same screed)

why still retain this function/service?

As has already been shared above, there are times when it is useful or needed, so the option remains. However, it is generally seen as distracting and users here tend to prefer standard/default font settings when reading posts.

Also useful for posting source code when no code tag is available, or it's syntax coloring doesn't handle the language the code is in properly:

;
; 32 bit Xorshift PRNG.
;
; Out: d0 = 32 bit pseudo random number
;
xorShift32
move.l d1,-(sp)
move.l seed,d0

move.l d0,d1
lsl.l #2,d1
eor.l d1,d0

move.l d0,d1
lsr.l #2,d1
eor.l d1,d0

move.l d0,d1
lsl.l #7,d1
eor.l d1,d0

move.l d0,seed
move.l (sp)+,d1
rts

Edited by Thorham

Also useful for posting source code when no code tag is available, or it's syntax coloring doesn't handle the language the code is in properly:

;

; 32 bit Xorshift PRNG.

;

; Out: d0 = 32 bit pseudo random number

;

xorShift32

move.l d1,-(sp)

move.l seed,d0

move.l d0,d1

lsl.l #2,d1

eor.l d1,d0

move.l d0,d1

lsr.l #2,d1

eor.l d1,d0

move.l d0,d1

lsl.l #7,d1

eor.l d1,d0

move.l d0,seed

move.l (sp)+,d1

rts

Just out of curiosity - is that handled correctly?

Because we all know that when you post in a Large Colorful Font, everyone will take you more seriously!!!

You are just attracting attention but not everyone will take you seriously.

Options for emphasis, that's all. Because sometimes, you need to call attention to a few words, and using ALLCAPS MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A CRACKPOT!!!

Emphasize can be done in various ways

They think of I am a sily teenager? Or they think that I shouldn`t exist in this world?

No. Someone who uses large or coloured font excessively will not be taken seriously. In the original post by Janus he was being sarcastic when he said posting in that way would make people take the poster more seriously.

In other words the "you" being referred to in these posts is not you, but an anonymous, imaginary person.

I mean I am suspicious about Janus`s post and her meaning. Not to mean you, dear Mr. Ophiolite. Nothing wrong with you, Mr.Ophiolite.

Janus was being funny - but relevant - by exaggerating to illustrate the point about excessive use of tools for emphasis.

Edited by StringJunky