rhymes with "False"

The "s" is pronounced differently in those plurals. Is it just my dialect?

I don't need a rhyming word for any particular reason, but I found it interesting that I could not think of one.

Edited by Mondays Assignment: Die

The "s" is pronounced differently in those plurals. Is it just my dialect?

That's the point. It's all about how you pronounce it. I saw a story on Eminem (Marshall Mathers / Slim Shady) on 60 Minutes a while back that reinforced this point... It's all about how you shape the word in your mouth and the rhythm you use to push out the syllables. Also, regardless of mouth shape and rhythm of the syllables, waltz is really quite a bit closer no matter how you pronounce it, IMO.

What rhymes with oranges?

From the above referenced 60 Minutes story:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/10/eminem-finds-five-words-that-rhyme-with-orange-on-60-minutes.html

“People say that the word orange doesn't rhyme with anything ... I can think of a lot of things that rhyme with orange," said Eminem, seated behind a mixing board at his private recording studio, before effortlessly conjuring an on the spot rap about putting an “orange, four-inch, door hinge in storage" and having "porridge with Geo-rge.”

Also, regardless of mouth shape and rhythm of the syllables, waltz is really quite a bit closer no matter how you pronounce it, IMO.

Waltz, halts, salts, malts, and faults are all very close, but they're not perfect. False is unique because its "al" is followed by a normal S sound, not a z-like S sound.

Someone will probably come up with a rhyming proper name at some point.

Pulse.

What rhymes with oranges?

With the tinges of bright oranges, children still fear the big syringes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What rhymes with purple?

Her pole.

What word do you think rhymes with purple?

I, a speaker of the English language, declare by an unprivileged oral right as a speech-capable organism and hereby ordain with the power of evolutionary linguistics this newly formed compound word, now and forever known in all its glorious verisimilitude as "her-pole". Let it be known.

Her pole.

I, a speaker of the English language, declare by an unprivileged oral right as a speech-capable organism and hereby ordain with the power of evolutionary linguistics this newly formed compound word, now and forever known in all its glorious verisimilitude as "her-pole". Let it be known.

Presumably, it would rhyme with perpole, if that was a word.

On the other hand it wouldn't rhyme with this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burple

When I googled that, I was expecting to find this joke.

http://anti-joke.com/anti-joke/random/what-is-the-color-of-a-burp----burple

BTW

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gurple

Edited by John Cuthber

I'm curious to see how creative everyone can get:

What rhymes with purple? What word do you think rhymes with purple?

Well... do you remember the drink called Burple?

post-51329-0-80621800-1371705549.jpg

You could always rhyme that you have a purple Burple filled with purple nurple. But, don't forget the painful purple nurple that could make you drop your purple nurple filled Burple. Because if you do, we'll proclaim a party foul and make you chug your purple nurple filled Burple until you become the color purple evil.gif

Edited by Daedalus

• 2 weeks later...

Furpull - the pulling of fur, written as an adjective.

btw: none of the words employing a 't' rhyme with "false" (waltz, etc) bcause the absence of a t is phonemically meaningful: "faults" is a different word.