82 replies to this topic

#41 Ophiolite

Ophiolite

Moderately Super

• Resident Experts
  • 5,436 posts
  • LocationWithin sight of three battles

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

I have seen in some circumstances a post getting neg point, then getting pos. (result null) then getting more pos. (result +2) then getting neg. again, the result of the fight being null. It would be very interesting to keep all the vote history, and not only the result. For example "this post got 3 neg. and 3 pos." instead of "0".

That is an interesting suggestion. I have given positive rep to posts, not because I felt they deserved it, but to counter negative rep that they certainly didn't merit.

I waited and waited for a response to my post and when none came I knew it must be from you.

Ashleigh Brilliant

One can never eliminate the concept of irreducible complexity as long as it is supported by inexplicable stupidity.

Ophiolite

#42 Spyman

Spyman

Prowler

• Senior Members
  • 1,955 posts
  • LocationHidden

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

I have seen in some circumstances a post getting neg point, then getting pos. (result null) then getting more pos. (result +2) then getting neg. again, the result of the fight being null. It would be very interesting to keep all the vote history, and not only the result. For example "this post got 3 neg. and 3 pos." instead of "0".

Yes, that would be nice, but it could also be showed with votes made, like in the example Rep:0 Votes:6 or maybe 0(6).

Edited by Spyman, 26 March 2012 - 10:11 AM.

A shadow hiding in the dark.

#43 CaptainPanic

CaptainPanic

Usually himself

• Moderators
  • 4,778 posts
  • LocationThe little swamp at the end of the river Rhine

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

There are two separate issues here:
1. Finding out which of your own posts got rep
2. Finding out who gave you that rep

We should not confuse these three matters, and we should evaluate these as two separate issues.

Personally (so, speaking as a member, not staff) I agree with the position of several others here: it would be useful to see which posts received the rep, both positive and negative. With such knowledge, it becomes easier to focus on your own strengths and weaknesses...

It is only useful to find out who gave you the rep, if you know that member a little better. So, it's pointless for new members, but possibly useful for people who have been around for a while.
If we would have names with the rep, then I propose that we also allow the rep-comments again, like we had a few years ago.

However, in my opinion (as a member), point 1. seems more important at the moment.

Just my 3 cents.
Veni, vidi, modeli - I came, I saw, and I modeled it

#44 Spyman

Spyman

Prowler

• Senior Members
  • 1,955 posts
  • LocationHidden

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

There are two separate issues here:
1. Finding out which of your own posts got rep
2. Finding out who gave you that rep

Actually with Moontanman's and Michel's suggestions we have four issues.
The other two are:
3. The most suitable limit of negative votes each day
4. The possibility to view how many votes made on any post

#45 Tres Juicy

Tres Juicy

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 733 posts
  • LocationSwindon, UK

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

I use the rep system quite a bit and I do feel that it would be useful to see where/why rep had been administered, a notification maybe?

I also feel that perhaps you should be able to see on your profile a breakdown of rep received rather than just a total (for example: If you have rep + 10, it could be made up of 40+'s and 30-'s)

I am also one of the people who will hold on to my neg vote for the day just in case and have sometimes used it and then seen a far worse post which then gets forgotten.

I would also like the ability to change my vote, I have often tried to click + (or even the reply button) and hit - by mistake. Like editing posts this could be timed to avoid misuse maybe?
A fencing instructor named Fisk
In duels was terribly brisk
So much that in action
The Fitzgerald contraction
Reduced his foil to a disk

Like all good science, I pose more questions than I answer

Spoiler

#46 Spyman

Spyman

Prowler

• Senior Members
  • 1,955 posts
  • LocationHidden

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

I would also like the ability to change my vote, I have often tried to click + (or even the reply button) and hit - by mistake. Like editing posts this could be timed to avoid misuse maybe?

I have already made a different thread for that problem in Suggestions, Comments and Support:

Changeable Votes of Reputation For a short duration after voting

Edited by Spyman, 26 March 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#47 Phi for All

Phi for All

Chief Executive Offworlder

• Moderators
  • 16,664 posts
  • LocationCO, USA

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

I use the rep system quite a bit and I do feel that it would be useful to see where/why rep had been administered, a notification maybe?

The notification may be possible. I seem to recall getting messages via the notification system on reputation changes when we first switched to the new software. I can't remember if the link took you to the post in question or not, but I think it did. Perhaps this got switched off somehow.

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred!" -- Super Chicken

God does have to keep the miracles going, or no one would believe that He is real.

#48 Klaynos

Klaynos

Insert Witty Comment

• Moderators
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

The notification may be possible. I seem to recall getting messages via the notification system on reputation changes when we first switched to the new software. I can't remember if the link took you to the post in question or not, but I think it did. Perhaps this got switched off somehow.

I'm pretty sure the old system notified but the new one does not.
Klaynos - share and enjoy.

#49 iNow

iNow

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 17,246 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

It appeared on the User CP page before the forum software upgrade.

#50 doG

doG

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • Location33.78N 84.66W

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

It appeared on the User CP page before the forum software upgrade.

Yes, it's a built in feature of vBulletin, the software previously used for the forum.

doG

-- Science is about facts regardless of belief, Religion is about belief, regardless of the facts. --
-- If atheism is a religion, then "bald" is a hair color. --

-- The dyslexic agnostic insomniac atheist stays up at night wondering if there is a doG. --

#51 Hazel M

Hazel M

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

The little green icon that says "Vote this post up" -- is that the reputation icon?

#52 Greg H.

Greg H.

Organism

• Senior Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

The little green icon that says "Vote this post up" -- is that the reputation icon?

There are two:

The green one for positive rep, and the red one for negative rep.

Religion is about belief regardless of the facts and science is about the facts regardless of belief.

To be fair, bananas are like 90% horse.

Remember - if the predictions of your theory disagree with reality, it is not reality that is wrong.

#53 Phi for All

Phi for All

• Moderators
  • 16,664 posts
  • LocationCO, USA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

There are two:

The green one for positive rep, and the red one for negative rep.

And the red one will start showing up for new joiners after 30 posts.

God does have to keep the miracles going, or no one would believe that He is real.

#54 Hazel M

Hazel M

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

The red one will not show up on anybody's or just on mine?  I ask because I do not see a red one on anyone's posts.  That's how it is? 

Also, even though I click Quote, my post isn't showing the quote?  Am I doing it wrongly?

Edited by Hazel M, 19 June 2014 - 05:57 PM.

#55 Phi for All

Phi for All

• Moderators
  • 16,664 posts
  • LocationCO, USA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

The red one will not show up on anybody's or just on mine?  I ask because I do not see a red one on anyone's posts.  That's how it is?

The red one will show up for you after you have 30 posts total. Then you get 3 negative reputation votes per day. You get quite a bit more positive votes, and you get those right away.

Also, even though I click Quote, my post isn't showing the quote?  Am I doing it wrongly?

So I clicked Quote on your post, it placed that in my Reply to this Topic editor (at the bottom of the page) and let me break it apart to reply to your questions. Are you saying you did that and it didn't work?

#56 Greg H.

Greg H.

Organism

• Senior Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

And the red one will start showing up for new joiners after 30 posts.

I did not know that. Sorry if I confused you Hazel.

Religion is about belief regardless of the facts and science is about the facts regardless of belief.

To be fair, bananas are like 90% horse.

Remember - if the predictions of your theory disagree with reality, it is not reality that is wrong.

#57 Acme

Acme

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

I think the others explained the rep issue.

As to the quote not working, it may be due to the browser you are using. If you are using Internet Explorer the forum software doesn't play well with it. There are workarounds. Here's a thread on the subject including links to other threads on the problem. >> Quoting in windows 8.1

#58 Hazel M

Hazel M

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:13 PM

After reading a how to I just tried it twice.  Neither way worked.    First, I just clicked Quote and then clicked into the Reply form. Nothing.  Then I put the cursor in the Reply form first and highlighted what I wanted to quote.  Nothing.  I'll  keep at it and see if I can solve the riddle.  Thanks.

Not at all, Greg.  It always takes me a while to figure out how a new (to me) forum works.   There are several other things I am looking for but taking it easy. 

Now there is interesting.  Those two replies appearing in one box were actually posted separately.  But I see Acme's comment about IE.  Shall look into that.  Thanks, Acme.

Now three.  I'm quitting while I'm ahead.  Thanks all.

Edited by Hazel M, 19 June 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#59 Acme

Acme

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Now there is interesting.  Those two replies appearing in one box were actually posted separately.  But I see Acme's comment about IE.  Shall look into that.  Thanks, Acme.

Now three.  I'm quitting while I'm ahead.  Thanks all.

You're welcome. :-) As to the interesting two-in-one, the forum software automatically puts multiple posts within a certain time together into one post. I don't know what the time setting is however.

To get the quoting to work: first just click the general thread reply button, then click on the little toggle-switch icon in the upper left of the edit box menu. The menu items will gray out. Then go and click on the quote button in the post you want to quote and the quoted post will appear in the edit box in text format and displaying BB codes. For adding more quotes, character formatting, or URL links you then type in the appropriate BB codes. Here's a list of the forum BB codes: >> ScienceForum BB codes

BB Code
BB Code is a quick and easy way to add effects or formatting to your posts.
It is used in a similar format to HTML tags which you may already be familiar with.
Below is a quick guide to the most common BB Code uses.

#60 Hazel M

Hazel M

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Acme, I am sorry.  I did click Reply and got the window.  But I see no Edit box with toggle switch icon in the upper left. 

I'll think about that later.  For now, the link you gave me is for Windows 8.  I have Windows 7.  Will that still work?

Thanks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users