Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Would the world be a better place without religion?

• Please log in to reply
505 replies to this topic

#501 Strange

Strange

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 11,319 posts
  • Location珈琲店

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

Then how do you explain the spread of new religions across multiple cultures?

I don't see a conflict there: religion often evolves as it spreads into new cultures. Sometimes splitting off to form new religions.

This makes no sense.

I think it makes some sense. Racism seems to be related to the innate concept of in- and out-groups. Without those there would be no racism and, possibly, instead of organised religion (and different religions) there would just be spirituality.

#502 dimreepr

dimreepr

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,132 posts
  • LocationStonehouse, Gloucestershire.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

religion often evolves as it spreads into new cultures. 

It does indeed, but ask yourself this, how difficult is it to get a new idea into a foreign culture?  

We all know how difficult it is to get any new idea into our own culture.

Perchance he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am.... -John Donne.

WARNING ...Participation in topics I start can seriously affect you’re grades... WARNING

#503 Strange

Strange

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 11,319 posts
  • Location珈琲店

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

It does indeed, but ask yourself this, how difficult is it to get a new idea into a foreign culture?  

We all know how difficult it is to get any new idea into our own culture.

Given the fact that several religions, as well as languages and most types of music, film-making, art and so on, have spread through most of the world: not too difficult.

#504 Prometheus

Prometheus

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

Then how do you explain the spread of new religions across multiple cultures?

This makes no sense.

I thought it was quite a good definition of religion.

For instance i've heard it said that Buddhism teaches the dharma but the dharma does not teach Buddhism, which i took to mean there's a meaning Buddhism tries to convey but Buddhism itself is not that meaning, which includes a load of cultural baggage picked up along the way.

The simple and overwhelming fact when it comes to racism, nobody is born a racist.

I thought there was a body of evidence showing that racism, or more generally the 'us vs them' mentality is an innate characteristic (as well as being reinforced by learning). I couldn't find much on a quick search - maybe someone else knows of the evidence on this?

The wild geese do not intend

To cast their reflection

The water has no mind

To retain their image.

To naively frown upon split infinitives.

www.senseaboutscience.org/

#505 Raider5678

Raider5678

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationPennslyvania

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

I am surprised how far this discussion has got without a single religious person in it. Unless I missed it and one of you are religious?

So when religious people do wonderful things, correlation implies causation. But when religious people do bad things then correlation not necessary implies causation?

No.

When a religious person does wonderful things, correlation doesn't imply anything. The same should be applied to bad things since it is often reversed.

When a religious person does something wrong, it's often correlated to their religion. When they do something good, it's often correlated to something else.

Absolutes lead to misunderstanding

misunderstanding leads to frustration

Frustration leads to anger.

Anger leads to the dark-side.

The dark-side leads to dislikes.

#506 dimreepr

dimreepr

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,132 posts
  • LocationStonehouse, Gloucestershire.

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

Given the fact that several religions have spread through most of the world: not too difficult.

Not too difficult, really? A new idea that directly challenges deeply held beliefs?

Whilst I recognise the point you're making, it's only valid when said religion is fully understood, otherwise it's just shia verses sunni or catholic verses podestant.

I thought it was quite a good definition of religion.

For instance i've heard it said that Buddhism teaches the dharma but the dharma does not teach Buddhism, which i took to mean there's a meaning Buddhism tries to convey but Buddhism itself is not that meaning, which includes a load of cultural baggage picked up along the way.

Good point.

I thought there was a body of evidence showing that racism, or more generally the 'us vs them' mentality is an innate characteristic (as well as being reinforced by learning).

Maybe 'us vs them' is innate, but we still have to learn the difference.

I am surprised how far this discussion has got without a single religious person in it. 

It depends on how you define a religious person, in this case dogma is a reasonable substitute for religion, as we currently understand it.

Perchance he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am.... -John Donne.

WARNING ...Participation in topics I start can seriously affect you’re grades... WARNING

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users