What has happened in the last 70 years ? That has "SO changed the World ?

Mike Smith Cosmos

One could remember backwards , and recall , Changes of attitude , Changes of experience, Changes of conditions , Changes in out-look, Changes in work, technology, style, safety, hope, aspiration , and a host of other interesting changes.

Has this given us a bright view for the future ? More ...? And more ......?

post-33514-0-68368200-1472491328.jpeg

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

The goddamn internets and the twitters, that's wot! You young whipper-snappers should put those contraptions down, look up and talk face-to-face every once in a while. Seriously though, technology, instant news and communication have made us an increasingly informed global community where we were once a citizenry frequently misled and divided by the ideology and propaganda of our political leadership. Many of us now get to see and hear for ourselves what is really happening in the world without government interpretation and filters. Our increasing global consciousness is what has changed in the last 70 years and it is what will change our world during the next 70, in my opinion.

The goddamn internets and the twitters, that's wot! You young whipper-snappers should put those contraptions down, look up and talk face-to-face every once in a while.

That's what MY dad said about the phone. "Trailing that cord all over the kitchen! Why don't you put that contraption down and go visit whoever it is face-to-face? But walk over there! Gas is up to 75 cents a gallon! Damn OPEC!"

A lot has happened. Change, maybe not so much.

The goddamn internets and the twitters, that's wot! You young whipper-snappers should put those contraptions down, look up and talk face-to-face every once in a while. Seriously though, technology, instant news and communication have made us an increasingly informed global community where we were once a citizenry frequently misled and divided by the ideology and propaganda of our political leadership. Many of us now get to see and hear for ourselves what is really happening in the world without government interpretation and filters. Our increasing global consciousness is what has changed in the last 70 years and it is what will change our world during the next 70, in my opinion.

We do talk face-to-face, though. There's even an app for that.

That's what MY dad said about the phone. "Trailing that cord all over the kitchen! Why don't you put that contraption down and go visit whoever it is face-to-face? But walk over there! Gas is up to 75 cents a gallon! Damn OPEC!"

A lot has happened. Change, maybe not so much.

Ha!

We do talk face-to-face, though. There's even an app for that.

I meant in-person...you kids and your apps, get off my lawn!

A hundred years ago, people were isolated compared to today, radio was an infant. Commercial radio broadcasts began in the 1920s, science advanced with SR, QM, a world expanded by the automobile and airplane, and a Universe expanded by large telescopes. These events were harbingers of Future Shock, as exponential change virtually slapped us in the face. A hundred years ago, people were content and complacent with the rhythm of life that had changed only a little in hundreds of years. As Future Shock rocked the world, we became distressed and distrustful. Despite statistics that say the world is safer, we hear daily reports of mayhem that distort our view of the world. Things are changing so fast, we feel as if the world is heading for disaster. And, reports of climate change, annihilation asteroids, potential pandemics, and nuclear extermination exacerbate our negative feelings. Though we are inventing technology that can make life almost utopian, it is difficult to believe we can survive and thrive.

Every generation ( since the time of the Greeks ), as they become old, have lamented that things are changing way too fast, that young people are disrespectful and irresponsible, and that things were so much better in the old days.

Different doesn't necessarily mean worse.

I suggest that the only thing that's changed is their age, and they miss their youth.

( I know I do )

Edited by MigL

I'd say it was the invention of the transistor that gave way to the modern world... it made computers possible and it is computing that gives us all of these internets and twitters.

I think we can go back a little further for the roots of our modern world, the invention of the railway rocked the world, IMO more so than the tinternet.

He said in the last 70 years though!

(and I think the transistor might be just over that now - whoops - sorry :) )

Nope, I was right - 1947 (I don't why I was thinking 1939... post not pre war) Shockley and Brattain @ bell labs.

Edited by DrP

Every generation ( since the time of the Greeks ), as they become old, have lamented that things are changing way too fast, that young people are disrespectful and irresponsible, and that things were so much better in the old days.

Different doesn't necessarily mean worse.

I suggest that the only thing that's changed is their age, and they miss their youth.

( I know I do )

I'd like my body to be young again, but don't want to go through the learning curve and emotional yoyo.

I'd like my body to be young again, but don't want to go through the learning curve and emotional yoyo.

This is the heart of that particular rant. It's the "youth is wasted on the young" argument. If you knew then what you know now....

That part will never change, I don't think.

This is the heart of that particular rant. It's the "youth is wasted on the young" argument. If you knew then what you know now....

Indeed, the path to understanding requires the mistakes of the past, there are no shortcuts; unless we're in the matrix.

You want to transfer your brain into a cloned younger body, in the present. That's more of a youth-wasted-on-the-young solution.

I suppose the if-I-knew-then solution relies on sending your present brain back in time into your own younger body. It rewrites history. It's not at all the same as continuing forward with a fresh body.

We might be pretty close to growing a new clone for you. EdEarl 2.0 with Kung Fu Grip! But putting you inside it still poses a problem. If we can figure out how to regenerate nerve tissue, that might be the WOW that changes the next 70 years.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have had a much harder time enjoying myself. A certain level of ignorance is part of the joy of being young.

(I'm still young, of course, but old enough to know what it is like not to be as young as I was).

I'm hoping for some regeneration, I believe a life of experience cannot be copied from brain to clone.

The first transplant would mostly likely be the whole head, no? Still need to regenerate nerve tissue, but you get to keep your face, eyes, etc, and probably a few other bits in the throat. You'll even look like EdEarl.

But better. Stronger. Wiser. The question is, how quickly will you go back to eating bacon?

Its been so long since I had pork that I cannot remember when it was, perhaps 50 years.

Ouch, head transplant. I hope nano-biotech will regenerate our current bodies slowly, and as we grow older our organs grow younger.

I picked 70 years , because I am in my early 70's . The idea being, that if necessary I can talk from a personal observation of life then . ( as I saw it ) , or more to the point " heard about it . ( no T.V. Then , at least in Devon ) .

Life was simple . Yet it was just after the Second World War , still had some isolated rationing . And chocolate had crushed 'ants ' in it .

As little boys , we played in the road . It was unmade up ( no tar macadam ) . We could scrape a shallow hole , and play ' allies' as marbles were called . You had to knock your marbles , by hitting it with another marble , into the hole . Boy was life simple , trips out to the woods to collect sticks to make ' bows and arrows ' and play ' Cowboys and Indians '

I remember , having way out dreams of the war ( just gone ) . A journey to London took a couple of days, you stopped half way there . I saw my first television in a friends house in London . It was the size of a washing machine . Black and white , blurry picture. Tv was only on a few hours a day .

But then we went to school and started to hear about the Korean War, Teddy Boys , and occasional music by Lonny Donigon, and Elvis Presley . And Conny Fransis , 78 revs per minute black ebony records . Computers did not come near the Public until the 1960's to 1970's

But then we had the 1960's Cuba Missile Crisis . Things started to hot up then , in ALL sorts of ways , with Music , technology, and things on a ' Global Scale ' . People started to move about the Earth More .including some adventurous Youth !

People started to discuss things openly , more .......... Life changed .... Life has always changed ... But " what a pace of change " we are accelerating into the future .....

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

People started to discuss things openly , more ...

There's the real changer there. We were already smart, but when we all started discussing things globally, and people from all over started sharing knowledge, it skyrocketed. We keep getting smarter, our children need more and more time to develop those immense brains, and our ideas can't seem to be produced fast enough so they don't get outstripped by newer ideas.