American women are Increasingly dying in childbirth

DrmDoc

According to this MSN article, the rate of women dying during childbirth has risen from 7.2 per 100,000 birth in 1987 to 15.9 in 2013. This article says this increase is occurring at a rate higher than any other developed nation. The stated primary causes of this increasing mortality rate are cardiovascular and chronic diseases such as diabetes, which are likely the afflictions of an increasingly unhealthy diet among American women.

Edited by DrmDoc

Another couple of worrying statistics:

1. black women are more likely to die in childbirth than white women, regardless of demographic factor matches between both races.

Black women still experience the greatest risk of dying from pregnancy complications

One stark — and somewhat inexplicable — trend in pregnancy-related deaths is that black women are significantly more likely to die than their peers.

Studies have shown that black women are less likely to begin prenatal care in the first trimester and are more likely to have pre-existing chronic conditions such as hypertension,diabetes, or obesity than white women. But this still doesn’t account for the enormity of the disparity that currently exists.

Black women are two to three times more likely to die from pregnancy complications than white women. What’s more, researchers found this to be true regardless of age, education, or similarities in living conditions.

And the disparity is growing worse. The maternal death rate for black women rose from 34 percent in 2007 to 42.8 percent in 2011. During the same time period the maternal death rate for white women only increased by 0.7 percentage points.

2. As much as one third of the deaths were preventable. In the richest nation in the world, people are dying from having poor healthcare, or poor healthcare education - the purview of public healthcare bodies. My worry is that propaganda and political shenanigans have started in the UK to privatise and polarise healthcare in this country by picking on the conditions for junior doctors (this makes my blood boil, but I don't want to sideline your thread).

Lots of maternal deaths are preventable. But we don’t have the right public infrastructure in place.

We know that maternal mortality is a big problem in the United States. But one of the most vexing issues researchers face is the absence of reliable data. Some states have maternal deaths review boards to collect data. But other states don’t. And what the boards do can vary tremendously from state to state, leaving public health researchers with an incomplete view of the problem.

And its especially important to study pregnancy-related deaths because the best research we have suggests as many as one in three were preventable. So, public health officials are now working on a national initiative to review every single pregnancy-related death in America — and the movement is building momentum.

My worry is that propaganda and political shenanigans have started in the UK to privatise and polarise healthcare in this country by picking on the conditions for junior doctors

It is more about control over the flow of information. Before the internet was around practically the only way to get healthcare knowledge was to train in healthcare. This method has always excluded the poor or people who don't follow the governments propaganda. So obviously the poor die because they don't have access to healthcare knowledge or the facilities to provide healthcare services.

It is more about control over the flow of information. Before the internet was around practically the only way to get healthcare knowledge was to train in healthcare. This method has always excluded the poor or people who don't follow the governments propaganda. So obviously the poor die because they don't have access to healthcare knowledge or the facilities to provide healthcare services.

"It is more about control over the flow of information."

The political interference with the NHS is not to do with control of medical information; it's to do with the Tories selling the NHS to their rich friends.

"Before the internet was around practically the only way to get healthcare knowledge was to train in healthcare. "

Did it occur to you that you could ask a doctor- if you could afford to pay for their advice?

"This method has always excluded the poor or people who don't follow the governments propaganda."

It also excluded poor people who did follow the propaganda.

"So obviously the poor die because they don't have access to healthcare knowledge or the facilities to provide healthcare services."

Because they can't afford to pay for it.

Also, we now have the internet etc- and poor people die young. Many years ago we didn't- and poor people died young.

Information is part of it, but information is often the cheap bit: cheap to obtain and practically free to pass on.

Another couple of worrying statistics:

1. black women are more likely to die in childbirth than white women, regardless of demographic factor matches between both races.

2. As much as one third of the deaths were preventable. In the richest nation in the world, people are dying from having poor healthcare, or poor healthcare education - the purview of public healthcare bodies. My worry is that propaganda and political shenanigans have started in the UK to privatise and polarise healthcare in this country by picking on the conditions for junior doctors (this makes my blood boil, but I don't want to sideline your thread).

What is the source of your information? Maybe I'm being dense but the following from your quote seems to indicate that greater than 1 in 3 black women die in child birth.

"The maternal death rate for black women rose from 34 percent in 2007 to 42.8 percent in 2011. During the same time period the maternal death rate for white women only increased by 0.7 percentage points."

What is the source of your information? Maybe I'm being dense but the following from your quote seems to indicate that greater than 1 in 3 black women die in child birth.

"The maternal death rate for black women rose from 34 percent in 2007 to 42.8 percent in 2011. During the same time period the maternal death rate for white women only increased by 0.7 percentage points."

Add "...of pregnancy-related deaths" after the numbers to give them correct context.

Edited by StringJunky

Add "...of pregnancy-related deaths" after the numbers to give them correct context.

Just looked it up and it seems to be poor proof reading by the author. I think it should have said "The maternal death rate for black women rose from 34 percent per 100,000 live births in 2007 to 42.8 percent per 100,000 live births in 2011. During the same time period the maternal death rate for white women only increased by 0.7 percentage points."

Just looked it up and it seems to be poor proof reading by the author. I think it should have said "The maternal death rate for black women rose from 34 percent per 100,000 live births in 2007 to 42.8 percent per 100,000 live births in 2011. During the same time period the maternal death rate for white women only increased by 0.7 percentage points."

Right.

Infant death is also disproportionately higher for black children(~13 vs 5.6 for non-hispanic white per 100k). While the overall increase in maternal deaths may be due to changes in record-keeping, the disparity between different groups cannot be explained by that. A number of groups have started to look into this issue, and so far it seems that those at higher risk were generally less educated, often single, started pre-natal care later or had not care at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.