Treatment by natural means

orphanjames

What exactly are you defining as artificial and natural?

I mean that in " the natural ways of curing from the various diseases like cancer , and also various phobias releated to mental issues also .

and i use the word artifical , basically it means that medication which generally doctors prescribes us when we are suffering from any diseases .

i just wanna tell you that their is some natural means also present in atmosphere which not only cure those disease but also provide a protection against it .

I mean that in " the natural ways of curing from the various diseases like cancer , and also various phobias releated to mental issues also .

and i use the word artifical , basically it means that medication which generally doctors prescribes us when we are suffering from any diseases .

i just wanna tell you that their is some natural means also present in atmosphere which not only cure those disease but also provide a protection against it .

Specifically what natural means? Could you provide citations?

I use the word artifical , basically it means that medication which generally doctors prescribes us when we are suffering from any diseases .

Why are they artificial? Many of them are (or are based on) naturally occurring compounds.

Such as?

citation i can provide you ;

That is not a citation, it is a video (and therefore of no value).

Do you have any scientific evidence that yoga can cure "various diseases like cancer , and also various phobias releated to mental issues"?

Edited by Strange

Why are they artificial? Many of them are (or are based on) naturally occurring compounds.

Such as?

See we all know that energy neither be created nor be destroy it is an universal truth , their are many energy in atmosphere which actually a positive waves.

Their is a field called yogic science which has a cababity to cure you from any chronic diseases .

yes, their are various medicines which uses natural compounds but at the same time its quantity is very less , and what im telling is , in this you needn't have to take any medicines , actually its a new phenomena called Biofield treatment.

See we all know that energy neither be created nor be destroy it is an universal truth , their are many energy in atmosphere which actually a positive waves.

Their is a field called yogic science which has a cababity to cure you from any chronic diseases .

yes, their are various medicines which uses natural compounds but at the same time its quantity is very less , and what im telling is , in this you needn't have to take any medicines , actually its a new phenomena called Biofield treatment.

How does it achieve this? No one is interested in being diverted to a YouTube video. You need to detail the science here in your posts or not at all.

That is not a citation, it is a video (and therefore of no value).

Do you have any scientific evidence that yoga can cure "various diseases like cancer , and also various phobias releated to mental issues"?

https://www.academia.edu/18920507/In_vitro_Evaluation_of_Biofield_Treatment_on_Viral_Load_Against_Human_Immunodeficiency-1_and_Cytomegalo_Viruses

How does it achieve this? No one is interested in being diverted to a YouTube video. You need to detail the science here in your posts or not at all.

https://www.mysciencework.com/publication/show/14872375/in-vitro-evaluation-of-biofield-treatment-on-viral-load-against-human-immunodeficiency-1-and-cytomegalo-viruses

"Biofield treatment" sounds like snake oil. Reiki, etc. Studies suggest they can reduce pain, but are there any that show that this is anything but the placebo effect?

A small study suggests "no"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10328637

"none of the final participants in round 4 (4 breast cancer patients and 4 observers) could differentiate between the identity of placebo and Reiki practitioners."

IOW, as long as the patients believed they were being treated, they felt better.

Anything that shows that diseases have been cured at a rate above placebo?

You guys are reading WAY too much into this question. Here is a simple answer to a simple question. Medical Science doesn't distinguish between natural and artificial, it doesn't care. If something is effective, modern medicine adapts it. If it's not, it doesn't get brought in. The story that medicine "avoids" cures is dumb, cures are difficult, and they are achieved through an insane amount of hard work and research. Not some crystals and fake magic radiation exposure.

Edited by TheGeckomancer

You guys are reading WAY too much into this question. Here is a simple answer to a simple question. Medical Science doesn't distinguish between natural and artificial, it doesn't care. If something is effective, modern medicine adapts it. If it's not, it doesn't get brought in.

Well put. Or, as Tim Minchin put it: "You know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work? Medicine"

Although it looks like the OP is using the old "just asking" ploy to promote his own wacky anti-science beliefs.

You guys are reading WAY too much into this question. Here is a simple answer to a simple question. Medical Science doesn't distinguish between natural and artificial, it doesn't care. If something is effective, modern medicine adapts it. If it's not, it doesn't get brought in. The story that medicine "avoids" cures is retarded, cures are difficult, and they are achieved through an insane amount of hard work and research. Not some fucking crystals and fake magic radiation exposure.

I'm not quite that ignorant. In fact, I was hoping to tease out where the OP believed this distinction to lie, since it was clear that they believed there to be one. My initial inclination was to post the Tim Minchin song that strange quoted, but I decided for a more probative approach. It's hard to have a discussion when all you're doing is talking past each other after all.

Also, if you could not use the term retarded in such a derogatory manner, it would be appreciated.

!

Moderator Note

TheGeckoMancer

To re-iterate Hyper's comment - we really do frown upon the use of divisive language so please ensure you do not use it in future.

And much less importantly we also prefer to avoid the use of swear words - and whilst I agree almost totally with your comment and the need to express them with as much emphasis as possible please try to do this without using bad language

Thanks

You guys are reading WAY too much into this question.

I disagree. After you've been around for a year or so, and you're paying attention, you might see why — it's fairly common for people show up with such questions with an agenda. In this case, that there's something special or better about so-called natural remedies vs pharmaceutical ones. It's not unreasonable to inquire about whether the OP has such an agenda, or if there's just some simple confusion that can be cleared up.

If I assume the OP has a genuine interest, I'd tell him what TheGeckomancer said (without the unnecessary emphasis; this is an important enough message on its own). Cancer patients are being offered all kinds of therapy many would classify as "natural", such as massage, accupressure, aroma therapy, etc. These techniques don't have a proven curative effect, but they reduce stress, and that's important in patients recovering from any illness.

The thing I dislike most about the whole natural vs unnatural argument is that it strips humans of the very traits that make us special. Nobody wants to take the tiger's teeth or a raptor's talons, but if we humans do anything too smart, it's "unnatural". A snake's venom is natural, but when we figure out how to make it, it becomes unnatural. Why is that? Why have a definition of nature that excludes us?

Anything we create as humans has this arbitrary distinction as unnatural because we had a hand in it. That's just wrong, and I accuse popular media over the years for enhancing this distinction in its effort to create fear which creates readers which creates profit.

Also, if you could not use the term retarded in such a derogatory manner, it would be appreciated.

Thank you, Hyper. Without going off-topic, I'd encourage everyone in the New Year to think about the words you use to disparage, and make sure the wrong people aren't caught in your contempt.

The OP uses the word "artificial" as well. We have two words that exclude humans from nature.

Why don't we celebrate the fact that we can make poison like a snake, or claws like a cat, or fur like a bear? Why do the animals who are born with these things separately enjoy more celebrity than the one creature who can duplicate most all of them? Why have we become contemptuous of our intelligence?

I adjusted my comments to fit the mood of the board. I have no issues with any language, there are no terms that offend me. I apologize if anyone was offended.

I don't want to go off-topic with this, but it's not about offense. It's about hijacking the definition of words to hurt people. Retarded should only refer to people with clinically diagnosed mental development problems. It's been co-opted to mean stupid or silly, and there is a movement to correct that, one which this site supports. Thanks for your understanding.

Not up to me, but I'd like to defend the use of the word retarded. I had a whole thread disappear once (I think it was because I used the word retarded in it). It is an actual word in the English language that describes a view or belief that is old and obsolete. The views that these alternatives are medically sound (in the case of many, like homeopathy for example) have been proven wrong... we know as a race, for a fact, that it does not work - therefore a belief that it works is a retarded belief. This is a fact not an insult, although I agree people do use it as an insult which is wrong.

Not up to me, but I'd like to defend the use of the word retarded. I had a whole thread disappear once (I think it was because I used the word retarded in it). It is an actual word in the English language that describes a view or belief that is old and obsolete. The views that these alternatives are medically sound (in the case of many, like homeopathy for example) have been proven wrong... we know as a race, for a fact, that it does not work - therefore a belief that it works is a retarded belief. This is a fact not an insult, although I agree people do use it as an insult which is wrong.

Can you do me a favor and start another thread on this? There's a lot of misunderstanding about this subject, and lots of folks see it as either censorship, or political correctness, or over-sensitivity.

Sure Phi - let me think of how to word it though - I do not want to offend anyone. :)

Also, in the moderators defense, in the thread I had deleted I may well have been a little heavy with the word in describing certain views, which I realised was wrong.

Edited by DrP

This thread is retarded. And thats a generalisation.

Yes natural remedies can combat certain conditions aswell as prescription or otherwise, sometimes you get stuck in endless loop with prescriptions and the answers are alot more simple, like go jogging, take anti-oxidants, st-johns wart, positive thinking, maintain a healthy lifestyle. Stay away from radioactive material....dont eat yellow snow and so forth.