what is time ??

The first paper linked by Michael Lombardi is a NIST document, in it he reaffirms all clocks use motion to measure time.

No, actually, he doesn't. Works written for a general audience aren't going to include the proper technical detail, and will include colloquial expressions that can't be taken literally.

http://etc.unitbv.ro/~olteanu/Tehnici%20de%20masurare%20in%20tc/18.%20Time%20Measurement.pdf

(Section) 18.3

"As observed, the uncertainty of all clocks depends upon the irregularity of some type of periodic motion. By quantifying this motion, one can define the second"

If you are going to continue to argue this please provide credible references supporting your argument.

Maxila

If you are going to continue to argue this please provide credible references supporting your argument.

I would also be grateful if you would answer my question in post#23

Edited by studiot

This is an imprecise statement, so would you please clarify the ambiguity in what you actually mean.

An increment of a change of position, i.e. A pendulum swing, a quartz crystal oscillation, an Earth rotation, the wavelength of a photon change of position (cesium clocks), etc, etc.

Edited by Maxila

An increment of a change of position

So I could make a clock of sorts out of any change of state then.

Swansont obviously works on the most precise one available, but that is not necessary to achieve some measurement of time.

http://etc.unitbv.ro/~olteanu/Tehnici%20de%20masurare%20in%20tc/18.%20Time%20Measurement.pdf

(Section) 18.3

"As observed, the uncertainty of all clocks depends upon the irregularity of some type of periodic motion. By quantifying this motion, one can define the second"

You need to access a credible technical reference about details of atomic clocks, and not rely on an overview document that doesn't go into any technical details. It's a colloquial expression, and ignores quantum mechanics. There's no reference, for example, to the pi/2 pulse that puts the atoms into a coherent superposition of the hyperfine states of the atom or the Ramsey method of separated oscillatory fields that's used in atomic clocks. Other than the definition of the second and a title in the reference, it doesn't even mention hyperfine states.

You need to access a credible technical reference about details of atomic clocks, and not rely on an overview document that doesn't go into any technical details. It's a colloquial expression, and ignores quantum mechanics. There's no reference, for example, to the pi/2 pulse that puts the atoms into a coherent superposition of the hyperfine states of the atom or the Ramsey method of separated oscillatory fields that's used in atomic clocks. Other than the definition of the second and a title in the reference, it doesn't even mention hyperfine states.

More opinion with without any credible scientific reference. Please provide credible references that conflict with the ones I've already provided, or stop speculating on what you "think" you know, because empirically it is wrong.

More opinion with without any credible scientific reference. Please provide credible references that conflict with the ones I've already provided, or stop speculating on what you "think" you know, because empirically it is wrong.

And how would you know it's empirically wrong? I mean, seriously — you read something that is not a technical reference, which has been "dumbed down" for a general audience so that it does not include the salient details, and you think you can make an assessment of the situation? Do you even have a course in quantum mechanics in your background? I am a subject matter expert on timing and have represented the government as such, so I'm not the only one who "thinks" I understand these details. I AM a credible reference in this area.

Schrödinger's equation (and the solutions) do not have any trajectories in them. There is no motion to be found in the solutions. You're basically asking me to show when motion doesn't appear. It always doesn't appear.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hydsch.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_atom

There are no trajectories to be found here. The electron is a wave. Position is not an eigenvalue, nor is velocity. This is not classical physics.

OK, I found EXACTLY the answer to your question! I think I watched every possible video on youtube about it and just like a few days ago I found this brand new video called the infinite stv implosion theory. it is such a cool explanation.

(link removed by moderator)

really I haven't come across anything like this before, so I guess it is really worth watching and digesting this new idea. i really think she's up to sthing. it's a bit boring but i really liked how she explains also the why of things and not just the how. it's so awesome cuz she actually goes against the whole world's smart brains saying like how her theory shows that the force of gravity is the opposite. it's really good stuff really revealing. So if you ask me how time flows and what is the present, I tell you watch that girl's video! let me know what you think

Edited by CaptainPanic
Violation of rule 2.7. Feel free to write down the general concept of that video in a new post. Don't make posts to draw traffic away from this forum or to generate traffic to another video channel..

it's so awesome cuz she actually goes against the whole world's smart brains saying like how her theory shows that the force of gravity is the opposite.

Someone making claims like this had better have some pretty impressive evidence.

• What data does she provide to support this idea?
  • What experiments have been done to produce this data?
  • How well does that data match the predictions of her theory?
  • How much more accurate are these predictions than existing theories?
  • Why is it presented as a video, rather than a scientific paper?

I haven't watched the video because its a video, and that is rarely, if ever, a good medium for scientific data.

!

Moderator Note

rivers82,
This forum is not the place to plug your videos. Please observe our forum rules, specifically section 2.7.

Because your other post also advertises the same video, which is btw 2 hrs long, so nobody will watch all that, all references to it have been removed. A next violation will lead to a spam-ban.

Sorry if your post was a genuine post. There are just too many people on the internet who desperately want attention to their advertisement / video channel / blog / whatever. We must be strict.

Do not respond to this moderator note in the thread.

• 2 months later...

I think time is caused by entropy. Entropy allows same solutions for slighty different states and so let processes flow. This overlap of states is similar to a distribution. I cannot reffer this but you might find it in the Internet. It's explained in the Theory of Dimensions.

"What drives the universe through this thing that is called TIME what exactly is it??"

I don't believe that the universe is driven through time, I believe that time is driven through the universe

At the "Big Bang" energy streamed into the emptiness, and Time, Space and the Universe came into existence.

It's logical, at least to me, that:

TIME=Is the movement of that Energy in the Universe and SPACE=Is the medium used to measure and record that movement.

• 3 weeks later...

I read a book ( patanjali yoga sutra ).... at one point of mediation ... time freeze...and the person become independent of time......since this is topic of time.. i thought of posting it....no hard feeling ... but a food for wise minds...I really don't understand how that could happen....possible ?

I read a book ( patanjali yoga sutra ).... at one point of mediation ... time freeze...and the person become independent of time......since this is topic of time.. i thought of posting it....no hard feeling ... but a food for wise minds...I really don't understand how that could happen....possible ?

It's a thread on time in a physics section of the forum, not the mumbo-jumbo section, which does not exist.

Your brain can determine your perception of time, though not time's actual progression.

edit:

cross-posted with SwansonT :}

Edited by Endy0816