Learning a language solely by reading books

pwagen

Here's a really stupid question, I know that already. But still;

Hypothetically, let's say I want to learn to read French. Would it be even realistically possible to simply buy something like Victor Hugo's novel Les Miserables and dig in? For a few chapters, I imagine you'd need a dictionary, but would you get the hang of it after a while?

Regardless of the answer above, would it be any different depending on what language I feel like learning, and what languages you already know? I can imagine knowing, for example, Dutch would make it easier to learn Afrikaans, but would probably be quite useless if you're aiming to be fluent in Japanese.

i think it depends on the person although i doubt you could ever be fluent in the language using those methods. i have friends who know japanese pretty well ( by pretty well i mean they know the basics and have a good vocab) through anime. When i didn't want to study for Spanish i listen to Spanish songs and i am convinced that i learnt more from lady gaga songs than online... so i guess it's all about your approach.

Naturally, I wouldn't expect fluency. Especially not the oral part. I would expect, should it even be possible, a superficial understanding enough to at least understand the language in its written form.

I've heard of crazier things honestly. I remember watching television a while back and one women claimed to have learned english by watching CNN. But as the rest have said, you probably won't attain fluency until you start speaking it. I say that because there are people who were raised to speak only english and they are still a far cry from fluency. Just look at the status updates on your facebook if you doubt me.

As for what you are doing I think it is a great idea; but only as a supplement. Go out to a french restaurant or find someone who speaks french and attempt to hold a conversation. Watch videos in french with english subtitles. Get a feel for how the language is actually spoken and then start trying to introduce new words. I'm not much a french speaker myself so I can't say for sure how the language works, but I know it can be broken down into a science. Get creative, start studying, and start applying. Sooner or later you'll be able to hold a conversation in french and impress all your friends, put it on a resume as a second language spoken and be one step further in understanding a culture different from your own. All of which are positive things in my book.

-The Pragamatist

I've heard of crazier things honestly. I remember watching television a while back and one women claimed to have learned english by watching CNN. But as the rest have said, you probably won't attain fluency until you start speaking it. I say that because there are people who were raised to speak only english and they are still a far cry from fluency. Just look at the status updates on your facebook if you doubt me.

As for what you are doing I think it is a great idea; but only as a supplement. Go out to a french restaurant or find someone who speaks french and attempt to hold a conversation. Watch videos in french with english subtitles. Get a feel for how the language is actually spoken and then start trying to introduce new words. I'm not much a french speaker myself so I can't say for sure how the language works, but I know it can be broken down into a science. Get creative, start studying, and start applying. Sooner or later you'll be able to hold a conversation in french and impress all your friends, put it on a resume as a second language spoken and be one step further in understanding a culture different from your own. All of which are positive things in my book.

-The Pragamatist

hey that seems cool and all but what if it's a language that people in your geographical location don't speak i.e there are no french restaurants or it's a dead language like latin? there are situations where books are the only option

• 2 years later...

Great question. I feel language learning is a multi-part talent. To me learning a new language comes in at least 4 different parts. There is speaking, listening, reading, and writing. I feel they are all distinct skills that are intertwined in the language learning process. So for instance you could be great at speaking, but do poorly with listening/comprehension and reading and writing. For me I felt the skills developed at different rates.

I think ideally you would want to learn the basics of how the language works before digging in. Also how much you will learn depends on how motivated you are to consume the material. It would work best if you were reading about an interesting topic that you were already semi familiar with in your mother tongue. I feel like watching French movies would be more advantages than reading French novels. At least initially. Watching movies you get to see the body language and visual images to help you figure out what's going on.

I learned Spanish and some of my training came from watching movies that I did not understand and reading things (out loud) that I did not understand. I also played video games in Spanish. I feel like the video game playing was really awesome because it gives you high motivation to understand what is going on, you are actually 'playing' and 'learning' at the same time! a perfect combo.

Just my thoughts, I hope its helpful.

Edited by RyGuyFly

• 5 months later...

I once went through a couple of dozen different English translations of "Anna Karenina", reading the first couple of pages and comparing - and the differences were striking. So reversing the process probably has some pitfalls.

Something to try: pick a book you like that is fairly modern, has conversations etc, and is clearly and memorably written in your own language. Then read it in translation in the target language - out loud.

At least, that worked for me with Spanish, the chosen book being "The Hobbit". I anticipate my attempts to strike up bus stop conversation with fine looking Latinas on the topics of dragon hoards and the aberrant behavior of giant wood spiders to meet with success any day now. You can't expect culture from everybody.

I would say yes - my near-native knowledge of English comes almost solely from reading websites. I can also speak fluently with little accent. Depending on your level fo talent and proximity of the target language to your native one, you should be able to master it in 6 months to 3 years. Start by reading simple texts and then progress to harder stuff.

Watching television news works. Reading the lyrics while listening music works surprisingly well to sharpen the ear.

Reading material of a subject you are familiar/expert-in works. A good experienced teacher works.

Leaving fear and shame aside and converse even if poorly at the beginning works. Discarding deformed language speakers to learn properly works.

(You must not attempt to learn Spanish from a typical Mexican)

Perhaps certain books would be better than others for this task. Didn't Edgar Rice Burroughs give Tarzan a primer that had pictures? When you learn enough common terms, it's easier to understand the context of the rest, seemingly.
What worked for me, reading "The Hobbit" in Spanish translation, was the direct clarity and consequent memorability of Tolkien's prose style in English.

It doesn't have to be a simplistic, crude book, in other words.

There's an author named Clive James who compiled a book of essays on mostly European writers and politicians and such - "Cultural Amnesia", it's called - in which he specifically recommends certain writers to anyone wishing to learn a new language by reading prose. Three or four languages are mentioned, in the essays on writers who wrote in them. I'd be willing to take his advice.

I think you also get an image of how a culture is, a country, its folk - this is often more clearly said by reading a book than learning in school or language classes - so books can give you more tan grammar - it can be muc hmuch more!

• 7 months later...

I think you have to have some basics in a language you want to learn. And reading books in it will improve your skills.

I've learnt a grammar of my native language just by reading books. I remember how my teacher asked me at high school why did you write this words like this or why did you put a comma in here. And I just knew. I guess it's not the same.