SFN Server Issues

Quite frequently lately pages seem to be taking a long time to load, and often fail completely. It just cycles and cycles and cycles... Anyone else noticed performance issues with the SFN server lately? Is there anything that can be done to address it?

Cap'n - I haven't been tracking the timing of these events. I usually just move on to other things and other sites and come back later. If/when it happens again, I'll take note and share it with you here. As others have shared, though... It's been pretty frequent since the software upgrade.

60 seconds ago... 11:24pm CST

So that makes in my time...scratch scratch converting CST to UTC / GMT then adding (or substracting ?) my + 2.00 not making any mistake with pm (not "greek pm" that is Pro-Messeemeri - προ μεημερι = before midday=a.m.)

What a mess. Time zone converter has 5 CST's.

-------------

Stupid, the conversion is done by SFN. Just had to look at the post time.

Edited by michel123456

Since we know your location (under your avatar), and since we know the hour of your post (mentioned in the upper left corner), the 11.24pm CST is redundant.

you could have posted "60 seconds ago' and that's enough information.

And yet instead I chose to convey the information to Cap'n in more than one way to make it as easy as possible for him to determine timing. What's your point?

I was having some 500 errors and slow response times after the upgrade, but chrome browser updated itself and I haven't had any more issues. I wonder if it could have been browser related?

500 errors aren't browser related; only the server can give them.

Right now, and for at least the past five minutes

Backups. I wonder if I can make them less painful on the server.

500 errors aren't browser related; only the server can give them.

Backups. I wonder if I can make them less painful on the server.

That would be welcomed. It happened again just now.

Correction: IS happening right now

Looks like there's not much we can do about it. We may upgrade to a new server in a few months, in which case there are things we can do to limit the effect of backups (e.g. have a separate disk drive to write backups to), but until then we're stuck.

I've made a couple changes but I don't know how much help they'll be.

Looks like there's not much we can do about it. We may upgrade to a new server in a few months, in which case there are things we can do to limit the effect of backups (e.g. have a separate disk drive to write backups to), but until then we're stuck.

I've made a couple changes but I don't know how much help they'll be.

You are probably doing it already, but have you set the backups to be done when the member traffic is usually at its lowest point on average?

You are probably doing it already, but have you set the backups to be done when the member traffic is usually at its lowest point on average?

Good point. I had set the backup time based on some guesswork about when people are likely to be online, but I just compared that to the real statistics. The backups should now run a few hours later, when fewer members are online.