pumpkin intake

fresh

We always carve pumpkins for Halloween and roast the seeds. Three pumpkins gives us several hundred seeds, and they're very tasty but it's pretty messy getting them. Personally, the pumpkin itself doesn't thrill me much to eat, since it's flavor usually has to be enhanced by other stuff that's not so good for you.

I prefer butternut squash, but there again I tend to need butter on it to make it taste right. I saw some Boston Marrow Squashes this year, very red and even bigger than most pumpkins I've seen.

We always carve pumpkins for Halloween and roast the seeds. Three pumpkins gives us several hundred seeds, and they're very tasty but it's pretty messy getting them. Personally, the pumpkin itself doesn't thrill me much to eat, since it's flavor usually has to be enhanced by other stuff that's not so good for you.

I prefer butternut squash, but there again I tend to need butter on it to make it taste right. I saw some Boston Marrow Squashes this year, very red and even bigger than most pumpkins I've seen.

You might want to try sauteing yellow squash with onions, garlic, and sweet peppers in olive oil, then stirring in stewed tomatos. Mmm Mmm Good!

Pumpkin is always reputed to be good for diabetic.

Many doctors strongly suggest diabetic eat pumpkin everyday in order to lower the blood sugar to normal, even the meal provided in hospital for diabetic includes pumpkin very often, however this famous doctor's advice recently goes opposite way : Pumpkin can not lower the blood sugar, so what food can ? squash.

it is the squash which is good for diabetic this time.

which one is true ? we are not surprised to know it is not unusual that experts don't have the same answers for their patients.

You might want to try sauteing yellow squash with onions, garlic, and sweet peppers in olive oil, then stirring in stewed tomatos. Mmm Mmm Good!

That is one of my favorite things to cook, it can be modified to taste very easily and is good for you! I like to add scallions, lots of red onions, and half zucchini half yellow squash.

As for pumpkin... by it's self it is quite nasty, pumpkin is mostly a vehicle for spices and sugar IMHO... Oh but when put into a pie with those spices and sugar... :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Pumpkin is rich in vitamin A; vitamin A is fat (oil) soluble.

(steam fresh pumpkin for 25 minutes without adding anything. WOW, very delicious :) )

* Is steamed pumpkin still rich in vitamin A ?

* Polar bear's liver is also rich in vitamin A, why eating only 1 ounce may kill you but eating pumpkin everyday kills nobody ?

* Polar bear's liver is also rich in vitamin A, why eating only 1 ounce may kill you but eating pumpkin everyday kills nobody ?

Some Arctic animals can store vitamin A, only using it when needed, but if something else eats them then they are going to receive toxic amounts because, presumably, they will absorb it all at once.

Edited by StringJunky

Some Arctic animals can store vitamin A, only using it when needed, but if something else eats them then they are going to receive toxic amounts because, presumably, they will absorb it all at once.

You mean pumpkin does not contain the dose of vitamin A to the extent it can kill people even if we eat 500 g per day, whereas polar bear's liver has astronomical dose which is fatal to us ?

It applies to ' the dose makes the poison' .

Pumpkins and carrots etc contain carotene.

Polar bear livers contain vitamin A

If the body is short of vitamin A it can make it from carotene.

If, on the other hand, it has plenty, it doesn't bother.

So, it doesn't ever make too much vitamin A.

Too much vitamin A is toxic; too much carotene is much less of a problem.

So, that's why polar bear livers are toxic, but pumpkins are not.

Pumpkin is always reputed to be good for diabetic.

Many doctors strongly suggest diabetic eat pumpkin everyday in order to lower the blood sugar to normal, even the meal provided in hospital for diabetic includes pumpkin very often, however this famous doctor's advice recently goes opposite way : Pumpkin can not lower the blood sugar, so what food can ? squash.

it is the squash which is good for diabetic this time.

which one is true ? we are not surprised to know it is not unusual that experts don't have the same answers for their patients.

We are not surprised to know that pumpkin is a type of squash.

(steam fresh pumpkin for 25 minutes without adding anything. WOW, very delicious :) )

* Is steamed pumpkin still rich in vitamin A ?

'Rich' is a relative term, i.e. it only has meaning in relation to how much vitamin A other foods have.

Here's a site that you can find out the nutrients and vitamins in foods. You can choose different quantities, different parts (e.g. pumkin leaves, pumpkin flowers, pumpkin seeds, etc.) as well as different cooking methods and additives such as salt. Nutrition Value dot Org >> http://www.nutritionvalue.org/ I have found it very useful in gourding my health.

This page is gives nutrition facts and analysis for pumpkin, boiled without salt and drained.

http://www.nutritionvalue.org/Pumpkin%2C_without_salt%2C_drained%2C_boiled%2C_cooked_nutritional_value.html For 100 gms of boiled pumpkin, Vitamin A content is 288.00 mcg which they give as 6 % of the Daily Value.

I used to eat acorn squash as it's what Mother used to make, but a couple years back I got onto the butternut. Damn it is good! Unlike the acorn squash I find I don't need to add anything to it, like the butter and brown sugar Mom added. To prepare it I halve it, remove the seeds (which I rinse and bake), peel, chop into 1" 'cubes', and microwave in a covered dish for about 18 minutes on high. A little salt and pepper and down the pie hole.

One time at band camp, I... oh... never mind. :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does pumpkin increase or decrease blood sugar level ?

It increases it, but slowly. According to this article it has a relatively high GI rating, but has a low effect on blood sugar.

The Glycemic Index of Pumpkin

Pumpkin ranks high on the glycemic index, or GI, which suggests that the carbohydrates in this nutrient-rich vegetable could cause a marked increase in your blood sugar. However, if you're using the GI values of foods to manage your blood glucose levels or control your weight, you shouldnt avoid this nutrient-rich member of the squash family. According to the Glycemic Index Foundation, the low carbohydrate content in pumpkin offsets its high GI value, resulting in a lower effect on blood sugar than its GI ranking might indicate. ...