The Human Soul

HerbertSu

The sense of Self is an emergent property of the constituents of the brain ie it does not exist separately from it which, in contrast, the concept of Soul implies...I don't agree with the idea of a soul...it's equivalent to religion.

Perhaps the nearest a non-religious person can get to is conscience?

"Commonly used metaphors for conscience include the "voice within" and the "inner light".[5] Conscience, as is detailed in sections below, is a concept in national and international law,[6] is increasingly conceived of as applying to the world as a whole,[7] has motivated numerous notable acts for the public good[8] and been the subject of many prominent examples of literature, music and film.[9]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscience

Edited by Joatmon

• 2 weeks later...

My personal view of the soul is an illusion created from someones conscious. The will to survive is an instinct we have evolved to survive the odds, religion gives meaning to death and a soul or the thought that you wont cease to exist, which is your soul.

I'm not saying people fallow religions for an answer to death but I do think it reassures people and makes them feel more content. Leading to a "soul."

Edited by too-open-minded

Hi, just out of curiosity I'd just like to know how people define the idea of a human soul.

In Christian thought the word "soul" generally indicates the ultimate internal principle by which we think, feel, and will, and by which our bodies are animated.

In prior Jewish thought distinctions were made between nephesh (the animal or vegetative), nuah (the ethical), and the neshamah (the purely spiritual intelligence).

That's similar to distinctions between vegetative soul (which is what non-intelligent life has), sensitive soul (animals other than Man), and the rational soul (Man).

The Catechism of the Catholic says "In Sacred Scripture the term “soul” often refers to human life or the entire human person. But “soul” also refers to the innermost aspect of man, that which is of greatest value in him, that by which he is most especially in God’s image: “soul” signifies the spiritual principle in man.

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm?p=14-chapter4.xhtml%23para363

soul is the opposite to conscious, conscious is objective perspective reactions or drives while soul is a subjective free will sense and moves

what explain opposites existence is truth, so where opposites reference seem to be the same present fact

that is surely a reason why everything is through oppositions while meaning to take advantage from truth existence that cant b pointed objectively but in conception terms from what truth is first and last infinite character fact

that is why the more people enjoy the present existence the more they are conscious life

while the more they enjoy inventions of what never exist the more they are souls life

while conscious life is the exclusive true life and soul life is subjective invention of being a fact existing in opposition to present existence facts

Hi, just out of curiosity I'd just like to know how people define the idea of a human soul.

Everything about the human brain that we haven't defined by science yet?

Here's a youtube movie (TED) about oxytocin, which is a chemical in our brains which influences trust, morality. It shows that we have defined quite a lot already.

Everything about the human brain that we haven't defined by science yet?

Here's a youtube movie (TED) about oxytocin, which is a chemical in our brains which influences trust, morality. It shows that we have defined quite a lot already.

soul is individual life but what you seem to preconise is objective abuse of individual wills so kind of animal life conditions that of course is everyday more killed from what the condition being become the bases of will so less everyday the nature of will which is free

soul is individual life but what you seem to preconise[?!?!] is objective abuse of individual wills so kind of animal life conditions that of course is everyday more killed from what the condition being become the bases of will so less everyday the nature of will which is free

I bolded all the parts I don't understand. Proper capitalization, punctuation, grammar and using actual words would help us understand why you're trying to bring individual will and animal life conditions into a discussion about the human soul. Thank you for not using text-speak.

this is the point, u do not make the necessary effort for ur own means, u r not a real individual bc u mean to b as a gift u got

i didnt ask u any about ur words, how can any ask another on his own expressions in words terms, it is the whole sentence or post that exist not pieces bc what exist is the mouth that said it, there is no info there it is my own self mind expression so free conscious right, my expressions are mine totally, how m i supposed to show u how i speak, it is me not u

and since u r not understanding what i said then why r u interested to get smthg of, mayb there is nothing to understand but surely there is no interest for u at all otherwise u would mention it

why r u supposed to know how anyone else think, why dont u accept ur objective limits and mean ur frustrations by ur own freedom right so anything that concern u alone out of everything and everyone else rights

!

Moderator Note

Absolutely

This is a discussion forum - part of the deal is that you have to be able to be understood by the other members. It's not snobbery or old-fashioned attitudes, it's the fact that you are not making sense. Please start posting in coherent and intelligible prose. Please don't derail the thread by responding in the thread to this note - you can report the post or PM a moderator if you feel this is unfair or unjustified.

Thanks.

this is the point, u do not make the necessary effort for ur own means, u r not a real individual bc u mean to b as a gift u got

i didnt ask u any about ur words, how can any ask another on his own expressions in words terms, it is the whole sentence or post that exist not pieces bc what exist is the mouth that said it, there is no info there it is my own self mind expression so free conscious right, my expressions are mine totally, how m i supposed to show u how i speak, it is me not u

and since u r not understanding what i said then why r u interested to get smthg of, mayb there is nothing to understand but surely there is no interest for u at all otherwise u would mention it

why r u supposed to know how anyone else think, why dont u accept ur objective limits and mean ur frustrations by ur own freedom right so anything that concern u alone out of everything and everyone else rights

This is a discussion forum, specifically a science discussion forum. Discussion requires that the participants make sense to each other, and we most often do that by using the same language and terminology, taking extra care with what we write.

It has nothing to do with "the mouth that said it".

It has nothing to do with any imagined "rights".

It has EVERYTHING to do with sensible communication. That's so important, we put it in the rules you agreed to when you joined.

Edit: Sorry, I cross-posted with imatfaal.

Edited by Phi for All
cross-posted, my dog ate my first post

keep meaning talking to urself but u cant walk here by pretending knowing what communication is nor scientific ways of pointing anything in objective terms

when u cant respect else freedom rights then u cant pretend that else exist to pretend that u r communicating about anything

keep meaning talking to urself but u cant walk here by pretending knowing what communication is nor scientific ways of pointing anything in objective terms

when u cant respect else freedom rights then u cant pretend that else exist to pretend that u r communicating about anything

If you persist in writing in your current style which is just about incoherent and bordering on word salad you will, justifiably, be ignored or disciplined. One should always endeavour to speak or write so that your audience can understand...When in Rome...

Edited by StringJunky

why do u want from others to listen to u? about what?

i dont see anything wrong by writing you as u nor because as bc, it suits me in focusing more on the idea then on letters forms

it depends wether u enjoy substance or shapes in things, that is to freedom taste and when freedom is the exclusive right then it cant b wrong

anyway im out of here dont worry i never enjoy being where my freedom is not welcome since it is wat i am

!

Moderator Note

Okay, enough. This is no longer a nice friendly request, this is now a warning. You admitted yourself that other forums banned you -- so you know how this game goes. We are being quite patient, and obviously we have an abundance of that quality or we might have pre-judged you initially and this whole lovely argument would have been prevented.

And yet here we are, arguing silliness, and, as a result, completely derailing a perfectly soulful thread.

absolutely, here's the bottom line: Whether you like it or not, we do not understand what you're trying to say. This will not change by you trying to convince us we're stupid. You came to us, and you agreed to certain rules and etiquettes -- and you need to follow them or you will not stay here. We are being nice in warning you several times already - take the hint (which is hinted no longer) and stop acting like an immature little boy. Stomping your feet and closing your ears will only lead to your suspension or banishment. From the way things are going, it won't be much of a loss.

You have an opportunity to prove to us that banning you is a loss, and to do that, you need to start cooperating. That's non negotiable. Good luck.

And just in case you need traslation:

y0 hom1e i cnt c wht u say coz u ddnt use ne english. peace bro lol ltrzes

Do not make things worse by replying. We will start deleting incoherent posts on sight. Have a nice day.