Where to go for our wedding anniversary

zapatos

In January my wife and I will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. We live in the midwest portion of the US and plan to visit another country (or more) for two weeks sometime in 2013. At this time anywhere is a possibility and we are trying to narrow it down. We tend toward more simple things, such as eating where the locals eat rather than in high-end restaurants, or staying in a local lodge rather than in 5 star hotels.

We spend a lot of time outdoors although we do like cities and museums. Our last few vacations were in the US and included hiking in Colorado, renting a cabin on Lake Superior, and exploring the Pacific Northwest and Vancouver, Canada. We've also done resorts in the Caribbean. We usually schedule vacations that include staying at more than one location.

We've been thinking of visiting places like Italy, England-Scotland-Ireland, New Zealand-Australia, or maybe even a safari in Africa. Wherever we go, my wife needs to feel safe, so for example we won't be visiting the pyramids on this trip. I have no desire to take a cruise with thousands of others.

We haven't done much overseas travel, so what I am hoping is that you can give me some suggestions based on something you've really enjoyed. Either where you live or someplace you've visited. Anything from 'visit Spain!' to 'take a barge down the Danube'. Lots of detail or not, I'd love to hear anything you have to say. If you think we should stay away from something/somewhere I'd like to hear that too.

Being Americans we are fluent in all the languages that begin with Eng...., although I can converse fairly well in Spanish if the person I am talking to is about 10 years old.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to your feedback!

Tuscany and Florence. Beautiful and well preserved countryside with amazing views and walks, plenty of vineyards (mmm Brunello), great traditional regional food whilst in the Tuscany. Then schedule a few days or more in the cities - Florence is amazing and quite possibly my favourite place to be, Siena is great, Pisa is fun (and the tower is fun but the Piazza dei Mirracoli is spectacular) and even the little towns are just medieval jewels.

It's a lot of walking in the towns - and there are a lot of tourists; but it is great! You will be coming a long way so maybe sort out a few days in Rome (the Eternal City is amazing even for an atheist) and in Venezia (get there before it's gone).

I live in London and would be a huge cheerleader for coming to the UK - London, the Cotswolds, Bath, York, the Dales and finish off in the beauty of Scotland etc. But it has been pissing down for about the last two months and it's grey and cold today - and frankly that's enough to spoil a holiday.

As to a world tour, I was never one to enjoy slogging around due to constant jet lag, unless you do it in baby steps.

The non-electrified (as far as I know) and non-vehicular Supai, Arizona (in the Grand Canyon) is the most remote community in the lower 48 states, and one of only two places that has its mail brought/sent by mule train (as popularized by its postmark, below).

supai_postmark2.jpg

Tourism is a key industry there.

You could travel around the world by tramp freighter.

Edited by ewmon

I'm in on my honeymoon with my wife and we've been to Paris, Venice, and are now in Florence (next stop Rome). All of these places seem to be safe and interesting. The only problem I've had is the tourists in Paris were pretty rude (though the Parisians were mostly very nice, take that stereotypes!).

I'm slightly bias being from NZ, but the south island of NZ has some beautiful scenery and a wealth of outdoor and cultural activities, if that's what you're after. January will be summer time, so you won't get much in the way of skiing, etc. but there are a number of national parks in and around the coastal and alpine regions that are always open.

The last time (and actually the first time; I'm a North islander myself) I was there I went to the Golden Bay area up past Kaiteriteri and into where Abel Tasman national park is. There are a bunch of walks and kayaking tours that you can do there over the course of however long you want with cabin lodging throughout. The kayaking is especially fun in summer, because it's usually sunny and the seals that live there will come will come right up to you if you let them. I had a great time and not having to worry about forest creatures trying to kill me is a welcome relief after living here in Australia.

I didn't get to go there when I was in the South, but along the western coast there are a number of glacial regions (the Franz Josef is probably the most well known) as well as Fiordland national park. The eastern coast has places like Kaikoura and Christchurch (the latter of which is not a very touristy place right now, sadly) and inland from that is of course the Southern Alps - all of which are lovely places.

I should say, the North island is also a nice place (Rotorua at least has an interesting odor, if you like sulphur) and is a fair bit warmer, but I'm much more a fan of the South. Lake Taupo (in the central of the North island) certainly wins where sunsets are concerned (you can't quite see it, but there were clouds sitting on top of the lake):

252_17708168501_9214_n.jpg

(Apologies for the slantiness; I took this from a moving vehicle and haven't been bothered to straighten it)

I wish I could comment more on Australia. Since I've lived here (almost 14 years now) I've left Queensland 9 times, 7 of which were overseas. I can tell you that Canberra is weirdly boring and small for a capital and that Melbourne has a nice zoo.

It's hard to beat Italy for down-to-earth, simple fare with beautiful surroundings, rich history and architecture. On the other hand, if you speak a bit of Spanish, Italian is going to sound enough like it to mess you up good.

Australia is next on my list, so I would push for you guys going there. It takes less time to filter the accent than Ireland or Scotland (seriously, I still don't know what's being said in the first ten minutes of The Commitments), and I've only heard fabulous things about the places and the people in Oz.

The only problem I've had is the tourists in Paris were pretty rude (though the Parisians were mostly very nice, take that stereotypes!).

Isn't that the truth, though? I think the rude French stereotype is undeserved. It's probably perpetuated by those who can't handle so much cool.

Thanks everyone for some really great ideas and for sharing first hand knowledge! We're looking into all of them and making a point to think seriously about options we've never previously considered.

I'd recommend the New Forest in southern England. It's a beautiful national park, you could stay in a log cabin in the woods perhaps. lots of nice things to do in the park, many 'ye olde' country pubs etc. It was first established in 1079 and hasn't changed much since. Sandy beaches of Bournemouth are only 30 mins away, or the Jurassic coast only an hour away; a 2 hour bus ride and you're in central London for some sight seeing. Stone Henge is just up the road also.

Here's a link to a New Forest tourism video. Enjoy

Great vacation I've been on was to Vieques, Puerto Rico. Small island that is quiet, safe and romantic.

Rented a jeep and explored abandoned navy bunkers in the hillsides / went out into the bioluminescent bay / evening dinners in magical bungalow restaurants / rented wave-runners almost everyday.

I'd definitely recommend it.

P.S. as a warning.. the U.S. used to test bombs on the island and there are contaminated portions that are blocked off. Also a higher cancer rate recorded in the local population, among other things. So you might turn green and sprout an extra limb, or die a week later.

I'd recommend the New Forest in southern England. It's a beautiful national park, you could stay in a log cabin in the woods perhaps. lots of nice things to do in the park, many 'ye olde' country pubs etc. It was first established in 1079 and hasn't changed much since. Sandy beaches of Bournemouth are only 30 mins away, or the Jurassic coast only an hour away; a 2 hour bus ride and you're in central London for some sight seeing. Stone Henge is just up the road also.

Here's a link to a New Forest tourism video. Enjoy

I hope you don't mind me adding that from the New Forest a very short ferry across The Solent takes you to The Isle of Wight - another interesting place. Video attached.

A recent article on the world's largest impact crater led me to read about Nuuk, Greenland. As the Greenland's capital and largest city (pop 16,000), Nuuk seems to have everything modern: cars, buses, hotel(s?), wireless internet, restaurants, shops, ferries, cruises, institutes of higher learning, hospital, harbor, international airport, multi-purpose stadium, museum, cultural center, tourism center, etc. The city/town seems to specialize in singular nouns :lol:. The people seem mostly Inuit and/or Danish in origin, and folks there are bound to speak English. It averages 38 to 50°F in July, although it's been known to hit a blistering 75 and a chilly 28. There is plenty of tourism in Greenland, although I'd draw the line at scuba diving next to icebergs.

I'll just write a biased advertisement for the Netherlands:

The Dutch have to offer:

- Many nice towns/cities with historical centers from the 1600-1800s. Many have lovely little canals, and all towns will have hotels and restaurants. Many towns are not overly touristic.

- Waterworks everywhere. Water works offer the possibility to combine some engineering geekiness with a day at the beach.

- Speaking of which, the entire coastline is a beach. With good weather (that's an if), the beach is the place to be.

- Tulips & other flowers, from approx. mid-April into mid-May only. Those are grown on an industrial scale.

- Great public transportation. It's easy to get around.

- Main airport (Amsterdam) is a hub for Europe, so it's easy to stay for just a few days.

- Most of the population speaks English.

- Biking infrastructure. You can cross the whole country by bicycle on special cycling roads. Also in the cities/towns, a bike is a good (and safe) way to get around.

- Safe.

What the Dutch don't have:

- Nature. Seriously, the entire country is artificial. If a tree was not planted by a man, then at least it's tolerated by someone, and it has a permit to grow there.

- Mountains. The Netherlands does not just lack mountains. It is common that a bridge is the highest point in a whole area. The country is seriously flat.