Forum moderators and mental health

truth be known

What is it about internet forums that attracts control freaks as moderators? Is it the sense of POWER they feel possessing the 'banned' 'suspended' buttons? Do they enjoy total control because they have none over anyone in the real world? Were they robbed of a happy childhood, had an unhappier teen age hood, moved up to a miserable adulthood? Why can't they control their vicious instincts? Should they seek psychiatrict help or go to a churh where they will hear words like "Love" "Truth" "Honesty."

Posters on this forum, we need to have compassion for these moderators. They can't seem to help themselves, so let's help them through prayers.

A look at the list of banned and suspended posters on this forum shows the depth of the problem .. it seems to go on into near infinity. Solving the problem might take a LOT of prayer.

Edited by truth be known

Someone who joins an internet forum in order to critique the mental health of its staff, in my opinion, himself needs psychological assistance.

People come to a science forum to discuss science. People who don't won't to discuss things in a scientific manner tend to get banned. All moderator action on this forum is first discussed amongst the staff so there are checks and balances. Tell your recently banned friend to find a religion forum.

By the way thanks for joining and boosting our google analytics numbers :)

I personally make five or six new accounts a day just so I can ban them. It's an addiction to the release I get when I click the "ban" button, but it's not always enough. Sometimes I have to go after a real target. It's only a coincidence if I happen to ban someone who's a jerkwad who's breaking the rules and being an ass.

Sorry if I broke anyone's sarcasm meter

A recent study shows that praying for science forum Moderators can actually cause instability in the person praying, possibly resulting in all common sense getting sucked into an unstable, superdense area like a black hole, or maybe a white hole. It was some kind of hole, I remember that part.

Solving the problem might take a LOT of prayer.

I know!! Finally, someone with some sense. I've been sitting with my pasta drainer praying my heart out to the Flying Spaghetti Monster with all its mighty noodly appendages for hours on end, Ramen! It takes a lot of work, and a lot of repentARRRRGHs, but I'm getting there, I'm getting there.

Ramen,

~mooey the meek

"Should they seek psychiatrict help or go to a churh where they will hear words like "Love" "Truth" "Honesty." "

I can hear the same words from politicians, but that doesn't mean I should believe them.

"Solving the problem might take a LOT of prayer. "

Indeed.

It seems the prayers a good fraction of the population of Haiti

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Haiti

couldn't steer a earthquake out of the way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Haiti_earthquake

So the likelihood of all the prayers from this site achieving much is nearly nil.

Feel free to prove me wrong by praying for me to win the lottery this week.

This reminds me of the story told by Emo Philips.

"when I was a Kid I used to pray that God would give me a bicycle. Then I realised He didn't work that way.

So I stole bike and prayed for forgiveness."

Oh Flying Spaghetti Monster, I pray you'll help John Cuthber learn how to use quote tags someday. And I hope you'll find it in your meatball to help swansont control his vicious instincts. And please tell mooeypoo she's not going to Hell for touching my manicotti.

And we pray for brother Aristarchus to get better, so that someday we might get the banned back together.

In Cheeses name, Ramen.

Oh Flying Spaghetti Monster, I pray you'll help John Cuthber learn how to use quote tags someday. And I hope you'll find it in your meatball to help swansont control his vicious instincts. And please tell mooeypoo she's not going to Hell for touching my manicotti.

And we pray for brother Aristarchus to get better, so that someday we might get the banned back together.

In Cheeses name, Ramen.

and alas... just before, I mentioned I had discovered the scythe-wielder.

but who is it really that axes the linguine?

who really gets the spaghetti cut?

Well, some say with such flattering words, that she is an angel haired genie.

Perhaps she is the one with true power.

RAMEN.

What is it about internet forums that attracts control freaks as moderators? Is it the sense of POWER they feel possessing the 'banned' 'suspended' buttons? Do they enjoy total control because they have none over anyone in the real world? Were they robbed of a happy childhood, had an unhappier teen age hood, moved up to a miserable adulthood? Why can't they control their vicious instincts? Should they seek psychiatrict help or go to a churh where they will hear words like "Love" "Truth" "Honesty."

Posters on this forum, we need to have compassion for these moderators. They can't seem to help themselves, so let's help them through prayers.

A look at the list of banned and suspended posters on this forum shows the depth of the problem .. it seems to go on into near infinity. Solving the problem might take a LOT of prayer.

Are you trying to get banned? I can tell you that several of the last ones needed it. Stick around awhile without getting banned, and see if you still think that way of the mods. Most of the time they make good calls.

Edit: did you notice that this thread is falsifying your post?

Edited by Brainteaserfan

"Oh Flying Spaghetti Monster, I pray you'll help John Cuthber learn how to use quote tags someday."

Quote tags are an invention of the Devil- so I only use them sometimes.

Idle hands are the devil's quote tag

LOL. This is hilarious.

On another note..... I now know who wields the scythe. I've been wondering that for a while now.

Actually, I'm the good cop. You should watch out for the other mods.

I'll never forget when I had lunch with moo, when she leaned in and whispered, "Eight ways I could kill you right now. Oooh, a toothpick! Nine ways!"

Ok, now I'm wondering how this forum got started. I imagined someone started the website, and convinced a few people to come as mods. Now I find out most of the staff only know each other virtually.

btw, the layout seems to be similar to other forums. Is there a template that the site came from?

Well, the short version would be that blike and fafalone founded the site originally. They knew each other (attended the same school) and set the site up. Subsequent moderators and administrators were simply trusted members of the SFN community, rather than their own personal acquaintances. For example, I became an admin in 2006 when blike needed help setting a few things up and knew I could help.

We use this commercial software:

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/

I've never seen these people before in my life.

Haven't you had a chat with John on the phone? :D