Spelling

ydoaPs

What's non-American English?

South-African is nothing like Australian' date=' for example.[/quote']

I meant the spelling. We seem to be the only country that spells stuff like colour without a "u". I wasn't sure what else to call it. If I said British it would leave out the numerous other English speaking countries that also spell it that way.

In Chancery Englysh, *alle the billes that comprehende materes terminable at the commune lawe that semeth nought feyned be remited there to be determined. but if so be that þe discrecion of the counsail feele to greet might on that oo syde and vnmyght oo that other: (or ellus oþer cause Resonable þat shul moeue hem.)

*Excerpt from a Privy Council Minute Book, circa 1424

I spell words as I was taught; behaviour, foetus, aetiology, haemaglobin, amoeba, Edinborough, etc.. We often use incorrect spelling as an indicator of plagiarism. When we come across a paragraph that discusses participant 'behavior', or 'fetal' development, we know there is a reasonable chance the student cut and paste sections from the internet. It's not always the case, but it's a good alert mechanism and gives us a reason to Google for the source.

Having said that, I suppose when it comes to difficult words, simplifying the spelling (behavior, fetus, etiology, hemaglobin, ameba, Edinboro') must be easier than trying to teach people to spell properly :P

i prefer proper english spelling.

God knows why it was changed. it just reinforces the american stereotype. and over there our spelling probably reinforces the english stereotype as well.

for example. americans say "Airplane" while over here its "Aeroplane"

and u have aluminum over there compared to "aluminium"

you lot use "program" for both "program" and "programme"

etc etc