B AR GA IN is it just a myth

Scylla

I watched a tv show and someone on the show said that theres a theory that if you can combine boron, argon, gallium and indium into a solor cell it would be possible to harness 100% of the suns energy. I know its a show but I just wanted to know is this a true theory or is it just completly false and theres so such history of BARGAIN.

Cheers.

Well thats not exactly true because there are many things they pull off that are actually genuine. Hooks law of elasticity or something that allows them to bring down a solid concrete wall by making afew small holes in the correct place, makes the wall very weak and unstable.

Regardless of it being shown in a tv show I just want to know if anyone has even heard of such a theory as the one im explaining.

Like has already been said, its crap. A big clue to this is the Argon. its completely unreactive (barring a few exotic states when its forced to react with fluorine and those are useless for solar panels as the light would destroy them, hell, anything above 100K would destroy them).

current promising methods of boosting PV efficiency are based more on carbon nanostructured surfaces to collect light.

• 11 months later...

Well thats not exactly true because there are many things they pull off that are actually genuine. Hooks law of elasticity or something that allows them to bring down a solid concrete wall by making afew small holes in the correct place, makes the wall very weak and unstable.

Regardless of it being shown in a tv show I just want to know if anyone has even heard of such a theory as the one im explaining.

I'm afraid that i have to kill you now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, there are super fluids that are friction-less like liquid helium (http://phys.org/news91000719.html) and super conductors that have 0 resistance and nearly-weightless metal, it would not be impossible that Prison Break got the idea from asking an actual scientist if it is theoretically possible, or researching to find such technology is being developed. But Indium and gallium seem like weird metals to use, they are close to semi-metals and gallium being able to be liquid at room temperature has a somewhat unstable structure that inhibits electrons passing though it to some extent, I suppose there's this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_wire

But you need Vanadium, they probably only mentioned those elements so they could spell the word "bargain".

Edited by SamBridge

Anything big enough to see that is said to be 100% efficient is inevitably untrue.

If someone makes a room temperature superconductor, I will willingly print this statement out and eat my words. And, I won't waffle over the inefficient process of putting energy into and taking energy out of it. It will be at least as remarkable as the nearly-weightless metal, and important to both industry and science.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/17/2010 at 8:48 PM, Scylla said:

On 4/17/2010 at 8:48 PM, Scylla said:

Cheers.

Prison Break Huhh...  Amazing Show! 

I don't think you can create a sustainable and renewable energy by harnessing the sun's solar power cells. 

Edited by Yamlak

• 4 years later...