New Member Posts

Phi for All

As a young man myself (NOT a moderator), it's simply getting used to the different systems. Here for some reason, if you don't check the "remember me" each time you sign in, by the time you have formed your post, it's forgotten your here. What I do, having gone through these problems and losing written post on a forum, is to form my post on 'word pad' or Jarte Word Processor software, free and can be down loaded online, then COPY and paste onto the forum. Let me know if you want more on this...

Hmm. I just checked and discovered that the time limit before being logged out is 15 minutes; if it takes you more than 15 minutes to compose a response, or you don't visit the site for 15 minutes, you're logged out.

Since a lot of our users take time to compose responses and find sources, I've doubled that to 30 minutes. Hope that helps.

Hmm. I just checked and discovered that the time limit before being logged out is 15 minutes; if it takes you more than 15 minutes to compose a response, or you don't visit the site for 15 minutes, you're logged out.

Since a lot of our users take time to compose responses and find sources, I've doubled that to 30 minutes. Hope that helps.

A simple JavaScript could help solve the dormancy issue. A small AJAX routine that fetched the homepage and discarded the contents in the header on a 14 minute timeout (present when a user is logged in) should keep the session current.

Since a lot of our users take time to compose responses and find sources, I've doubled that to 30 minutes. Hope that helps. [/Quote]

CR; I pretty much knew this, from experience (think less time allowed for editing), but for us older folks there are other causes* for the problem, you can't fix or maybe even shouldn't try to. Being about the same age as rigney, I'd guess a little more time under forum formats and using a dial up provider, I can assure you some of my post have taken hours. You really don't want posters, tying up your system while researching and composing post, whether it be from age or having other things going on around us.

*One very frustrating event that happens every so often, with folks using Microsoft (must use ABC Spell Check -internet explorer) is that after doing a spell check, then trying to edit (opposed to before the check) will inevitably lead to problems. Another; If you accidentally try to edit while on preview before submitting, using backspace, as it would anytime, your in fact backing up your available pages and past one (like trying to backspace out a word) you will lose what has been written the page your forming the post, even if you know HOW to then forward your pages to where you started.

For some of these reasons and others, I first went to M/S Word Pad, now New Rich Text, without a spell check, some problems still happening, then on to Jarte Word Processor, where I can not only spell check, check definitions or even research directly. Even here, some problems can happen, but if *Copied* off Jarte (not cut) and pasted on the forum, if anything does happen, dial up disconnects etc., I still have that original copy, not having to start over.

I had forgotten my post this thread and suppose I should have remembered what 'rigney' was talking about on his triple post thread, but the "with pay" certainly tripped me up. In the end though, if somehow this does happen again to him, he could edit simply cutting the last two and resubmit, which I have done a time or two.

CR; I pretty much knew this, from experience (think less time allowed for editing), but for us older folks there are other causes* for the problem, you can't fix or maybe even shouldn't try to. Being about the same age as rigney, I'd guess a little more time under forum formats and using a dial up provider, I can assure you some of my post have taken hours. You really don't want posters, tying up your system while researching and composing post, whether it be from age or having other things going on around us.

It doesn't really tie up the system -- it could take a few hundred more people online at a time before we hit any troubles handling everyone. Just composing a post doesn't tie anything up.

*One very frustrating event that happens every so often, with folks using Microsoft (must use ABC Spell Check -internet explorer) is that after doing a spell check, then trying to edit (opposed to before the check) will inevitably lead to problems. Another; If you accidentally try to edit while on preview before submitting, using backspace, as it would anytime, your in fact backing up your available pages and past one (like trying to backspace out a word) you will lose what has been written the page your forming the post, even if you know HOW to then forward your pages to where you started.

That's weird. Are you using the WYSIWYG editor? (as in, not typing BBCode but pressing the bold button and getting bold text in the editor) It might get messed up by the spellchecker.

Hitting backspace in the wrong place is something I run into fairly often. Firefox seems to save the data when I go forward again, so I don't lose anything -- unless I'm using Quick Reply, when the box is empty when I get back. Very annoying.

• 2 weeks later...
Can I receive an email alert everytime someone answers my question?
Go to My Account at the top of the page, Edit Options. Set the pulldown on Default Thread Subscription Mode that says Instant Email Notification and that will let you know each time someone posts to a thread you're involved in. You can unsubscribe from individual threads when you want to.

I've posted a few times and for the most part received great answers to my questions. The only thing keeping me from posting more is that I'm too busy reading what everyone else has to say. My ignorance is made obvious to me on this forum.

And I have to say that I love the level of discourse here. Such a breath of fresh air after listening to what typically masquerades itself as debate.

It enjoy these forums a lot. It just seems that most of the topics are way over my head. Maybe when I start college I'll be up to speed somewhat.

It's worth noting that I joined these forums when I was 12, and that didn't stop me from making 25 posts per day.

Of course, back then my posts didn't have much substance, but oh well...

There's nothing stopping you from going out, asking questions, and trying to catch up with everyone else. A lot of our members just love to explain things.

It's worth noting that I joined these forums when I was 12, and that didn't stop me from making 25 posts per day.

There's nothing stopping you from going out, asking questions, and trying to catch up with everyone else. A lot of our members just love to explain things.

I echo the person who said that when they read the posts of others, they feel way behind (and for me, uphill to catch up). There are some forums that I would love to participate in, like the ethics forum, but cannot, due to my low posting count.

It just feels intellectually disingenuous to pad my posting count with inane questions or responses such as "I agree with you" or "Tell me more". Asking questions about info that is covered in other threads and easily found with a thread search just seems redundant.

I understand why the rules have been put in place. I am not new to forums, and I am fully aware how the actions of a few can control the participation of the many. This ensures quality, not quantity.

Downside is...I can't participate as much as I would like to.

But...even with the restrictions it doesn't discourage my enjoyment of this site, or of my learning something new, or seeing something from a different perspective.

Haha, having said that, I am wanting to start a thread on Mitchell Joachim's visionary work.

But where would I put it? :confused:

So now you are 35? Youve been posting here for 23 years? :doh: It adds up fast diva, i am only 14 or sooooo....

Yeah, you should have been more like me :P

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
I echo the person who said that when they read the posts of others, they feel way behind (and for me, uphill to catch up). There are some forums that I would love to participate in, like the ethics forum, but cannot, due to my low posting count.

It just feels intellectually disingenuous to pad my posting count with inane questions or responses such as "I agree with you" or "Tell me more". Asking questions about info that is covered in other threads and easily found with a thread search just seems redundant.

I understand why the rules have been put in place. I am not new to forums, and I am fully aware how the actions of a few can control the participation of the many. This ensures quality, not quantity.

Downside is...I can't participate as much as I would like to.

But...even with the restrictions it doesn't discourage my enjoyment of this site, or of my learning something new, or seeing something from a different perspective.

Haha, having said that, I am wanting to start a thread on Mitchell Joachim's visionary work.

But where would I put it? :confused:

You can try asking specific questions. Also, access to restricted forums is sometimes granted to users by administrator access per request if the user does not yet meet the requirements. It can't hurt to ask.

You can try asking specific questions. Also, access to restricted forums is sometimes granted to users by administrator access per request if the user does not yet meet the requirements. It can't hurt to ask.

Thank you! I will keep that in mind.

• 2 months later...

Not sure where to put this so i'll put it here

HelloScienceforums my name is Dimension_Traveller I found this forum through Bing and decided to sign up as there are lots of interesting subjects that i can discuss with you on here.

I live in Gloucester, England and I am interested in Astronomy, Some Archaeology, Time Travel and Alternate Dimensions and also into Sci-Fi .

Well i hope to stay around from quite some time and in the future.

Not sure where to put this so i'll put it here

You have put this in the right place (said the actress to the bishop!).

I live in Gloucester, England and I am interested in Astronomy, Some Archaeology, Time Travel and Alternate Dimensions and also into Sci-Fi .

You state some interesting subjects. I expect you will post mostly in the Physics section.

Tell us more about your adventures in astronomy.

Well i hope to stay around from quite some time and in the future.

I look forward to discussing many things with you in the future.