Why do adults frown upon running around to get to places?

A Tripolation

Now, I've been taught since I was little to "not run in the halls" and to "quit tearing around the store", but now, I really wonder why.

I mean, there are so many times that it would be SOOO much quicker to just run somewhere. Why walk for 10 minutes when you can run and be there in 5? But, when I tried this at my uni to get to my class quicker, I get looks from almost everyone as if I'm some sort of loon.

So I ask all you adults, why is it that society hates people getting to places quicker? I honestly don't see how someone running somewhere is bad, or why we teach our kids not to.

Any thoughts?

Well running in stores and stuff I think we can assume it's a safety thing, you're more likely to fall over, hit things or run into people if you are running, and when you do you cause more damage.

As for running between classes or just getting places, well you sweat and that is not that great, because it's firstly annoying, and secondly it's then quite likely you'll smell for the rest of the day... not nice....

So I ask all you adults, why is it that society hates people getting to places quicker? I honestly don't see how someone running somewhere is bad, or why we teach our kids not to.

Any thoughts?

You're in less control when running quickly, and more likely to harm someone else.

We are a social species, and we need to adhere to certain social norms. People generally see you as a potential threat to their own health when you are running... you could knock them over, or push them out of the way with all of your momentum, or any number of things... That's why.

When you are young, your parents are trying to teach you social norms, and further, they'd be the ones in trouble if you (as their child) ran into someone and knocked them over.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, you should be able to run and endanger others as you desire, your time is all that matters. However, anyone you run into should be entitled to beat the hell out of you with a ball bat for running into them when you should have been more considerate of others in the first place.

Any thoughts?

I doubt the OP is talking about running recklessly through crowded areas or busy stores, and it's pretty easy to calibrate when you run and by how much. It is of course easy to make a mistake if you're careless but running down a non-crowded street or 'dashing' a little in a store shouldn't put people in jeopardy.

However, just as a general practice unless we are exercising we tend to only run in emergencies - which is useful as if we account for running to stay on schedule we have no way to make up for unforeseen delays. Since we tend to only use running in emergencies it naturally tends to draw attention since most who resort to it are in some form of distress. Maybe just to catch a late bus or get to a class on time, or dodging law enforcement - but it usually implies miscalculation and something going wrong on the part of the runner.

Aside from that, if you "run" to get ahead in a forming line it can be pretty rude if you pass someone who is walking casually up to the line. People have the general sentiment that we should all be move about at a casual pace and if someone "got there" before you they'd checkout before you, and they could run to beat you - but they want to move at a comfortable pace.

There you have it:

Safety

Consideration for others

For the record I occasionally run within my office building, but only where there are wide corridors and no risk of colliding with someone emerging from an office, or around a wall and when there is a good reason to get somewhere quickly. I am sixty one.

I doubt the OP is talking about running recklessly through crowded areas or busy stores, and it's pretty easy to calibrate when you run and by how much.

Yes, of course. I don't mean blithely running around unaware of everyone else. I just mean in situations where you have room to run around.

Ok, point taken people...running could be dangerous I suppose.

But I'll be damned if I walk across the horribly long main-field again. :D

Yes, of course. I don't mean blithely running around unaware of everyone else. I just mean in situations where you have room to run around.

But I'll be damned if I walk across the horribly long main-field again. :D

Yeah, next time: Skip! :D

I think that's all your teachers have been trying to get you to see. Accidents happen and should be avoidable if everyone takes the right precautions.

If we would run, it is likely that:

1. We'd be in a better shape, so we'd be less tired upon arrival. Marathon runners also don't get tired from a 2 km run.

2. We would probably have less body fat, and have a lower weight. This means we would actually have to use less energy / kilometer

3. We'd actually sweat a lot less per km than we do now, because of (2.)

4. If it is normal to run everywhere - we would wear different clothing and we'd adapt our deodorants and such... again resulting in less sweat.

My reason for not running is that I have a bicycle which gets me there faster than I could ever run at half the energy. ;)

If we would run, it is likely that:

1. We'd be in a better shape, so we'd be less tired upon arrival. Marathon runners also don't get tired from a 2 km run.

2. We would probably have less body fat, and have a lower weight. This means we would actually have to use less energy / kilometer

3. We'd actually sweat a lot less per km than we do now, because of (2.)

4. If it is normal to run everywhere - we would wear different clothing and we'd adapt our deodorants and such... again resulting in less sweat.

My reason for not running is that I have a bicycle which gets me there faster than I could ever run at half the energy. ;)

Ha, that was my reasoning too, except I didn't dare to bring it up since people acted like I wanted to run around with a machete in my hands randomly swinging it. :D

And bicycles are for pansies. :P

Oh, and Jill, cycling down a school hallway is quite possibly the most fun thing I've ever done. That's either incredibly awesome or incredibly sad.

I still think people should start running everywhere. Seems to me like the world would be a better place that way.

Edited by A Tripolation

I wonder if there isn't some top-shelf predator related stuff going on there as well. Fast movement grabs our attention and makes you an attractive target. When people see that there is a) no immediate threat to you, b) no immediate threat to them, and c) you aren't worth chasing down and bludgeoning, they are annoyed that you are running for no good reason. I wonder if we still have some predatory sense that tells us you are running because you have something we want, and perhaps we cover that up with the justification of dangerous behavior.

Moderate running to appointments seems like a great way to maintain health, especially if you're too busy for more focused types of workouts. But we are funny creatures, ones who wish we could get more exercise opportunities while looking for the parking space closest to the store, or we take the elevator up three flights instead of using the stairs.

I thought that one of the problems might be that everyone would think of you as "the permanently late guy who can never plan his schedule so he ends up running all the time". People would look at you as if you were an idiot because they might reasonably think you were an idiot.

Phi, I suggest that next time we should run, waver our arms and scream incoherently. Great exercise and it may obscure the fact that is no immediate threat. In fact, with some luck others will join in.

For now, excuse me, I will have to give a lecture and I have not screamed myself hoarse yet.

Moderate running to appointments seems like a great way to maintain health, especially if you're too busy for more focused types of workouts. But we are funny creatures, ones who wish we could get more exercise opportunities while looking for the parking space closest to the store, or we take the elevator up three flights instead of using the stairs.

I now live on the fifth floor of my dorm, and I basically refuse to take the elevators. It kills you for the first week or so, but now I can't wear pants without a belt. Excellent.

Phi, I suggest that next time we should run, waver our arms and scream incoherently.
I wonder which would get you in trouble faster, running/waving/screaming, or running/clutching an object like it's really valuable/screaming? Or perhaps running/holding an object out in front of you like you can't wait to get rid of it/screaming?

I now live on the fifth floor of my dorm, and I basically refuse to take the elevators. It kills you for the first week or so, but now I can't wear pants without a belt. Excellent.
I firmly believe that part of the reason we tend to put on weight as we get older is because experience teaches us the "wisdom" of conserving our energy when we can. We're proud of learning to stack five items on the stairs that need to go up, so we can take them all in one trip instead of climbing the stairs five times. Then we celebrate how smart we are by going out and buying bigger pants. Edited by Phi for All
qualifier addition

I wonder which would get you in trouble faster, running/waving/screaming, or running/clutching an object like it's really valuable/screaming? Or perhaps running/holding an object out in front of you like you can't wait to get rid of it/screaming?

Probably running, screaming, and unzipping your pants.

Oh, and Jill, cycling down a school hallway is quite possibly the most fun thing I've ever done.
Oh, it is fun. And the penguins* collectively had a snit of such intensity there was some speculation one or two might explode. >:D

That's either incredibly awesome or incredibly sad.
I withhold comment based on my 5th amendment rights. :D

*Catholic nuns.