Washing machine connectors -in Europe?

Externet

Hi. 

In USA, houses made with paper and sticks use flimsy recessed box to connect clotheswasher hoses.  How is it done 'surface-mount' on stone/block/brick walls ?   Looking for such and cannot find in US

image.png.84ffa410767a1d9b3cca650ba33e7570.png

10 minutes ago, Externet said:

Hi. 

In USA, houses made with paper and sticks use flimsy recessed box to connect clotheswasher hoses.  How is it done 'surface-mount' on stone/block/brick walls ?   Looking for such and cannot find in US

image.png.84ffa410767a1d9b3cca650ba33e7570.png

I'm in the UK but surely all you need is a couple of U-brackets, like this, isn't it? :-

image.thumb.png.413f092510febb13c069ff573f346614.png

Surface mounting on concrete or stone is best avoided.  Use an impact drill and masonry screws to attach a couple furring strips,  then run your water lines up those.  If the anchoring degrades you will still have the top of the strips secured to the top plate (assuming this is a basement).  And attaching water pipes like PEX snugly to the wood strips protects them better from pets and small children.  I.e. never have a pipe where it can be easily yanked on, as in the photo shown.

46 minutes ago, Externet said:

Where have you found houses made of "paper and sticks"?

11 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Sounds more like Japan.

43 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Surface mounting on concrete or stone is best avoided.  Use an impact drill and masonry screws to attach a couple furring strips,  then run your water lines up those.  If the anchoring degrades you will still have the top of the strips secured to the top plate (assuming this is a basement).  And attaching water pipes like PEX snugly to the wood strips protects them better from pets and small children.  I.e. never have a pipe where it can be easily yanked on, as in the photo shown.

Presumably an operational hazard in the US. 😁

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

I think it is in direct comparison to the more common brick houses in Europe. In comparison, the wood frames in North America do appear quite flimsy.

Your houses look very combustible relative to UK and much of Europe. The last time we had an inferno rip through a large bullt up area was 1666 when houses had a composition  like yours today. :) Why are they not all brick/masonry in dense tree areas? Doesn't the US like bricks in general? IKEA-concept houses are not a good idea there by the looks of it. One of my uncles lives in Texas. My mum told me he bought a house, knocked it down and built another one... just like that.

Edited by StringJunky

Thanks.  

Surface mounting would take the U straps/brackets, then.  No 'pretty box' as in US at right image.  One in a hundred -or more- US dwellings has masonry walls.

New masonry/european construction foresees piping in walls to use the one at left, and a drain hole.  Found no 'boxes' for additions on masonry.

GRIFO LAVADORA ESFERA L-85 ARCOEFIELD Premium Washing Machine (Laundry) Outlet Box with Center Drain, 1/2 inch Sweat MIP x 3/4 inch MHT Connection, White...

Edited by Externet

14 minutes ago, Externet said:

Thanks.  

Surface mounting would take the U straps/brackets, then.  No 'pretty box' as in US at right image.  One in a hundred -or more- US dwellings has masonry walls.

New masonry/european construction foresees piping in walls to use the one at left, and a drain hole.  Found no 'boxes' for additions on masonry.

GRIFO LAVADORA ESFERA L-85 ARCOEFIELD Premium Washing Machine (Laundry) Outlet Box with Center Drain, 1/2 inch Sweat MIP x 3/4 inch MHT Connection, White...

Since the pipes and connection will all be behind the appliance, I should have thought there would be little need to worry about the appearance of the piping.  

14 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

But building glorified sheds in forests... Not Too Swiftie or what? :P 

Flip a coin. Will a fire burn near your house in California, or will an earthquake hit.

Flip a coin. Will a fire burn near your house in California, or will an earthquake hit.

A wood frame house can be protected from fire (proper shingles or sheet metal roof, clearing vegetation near structure, mineral wool insulation, fire-rated sheathing etc.), but it's impossible to stop a strong temblor from cracking or even tearing apart masonry.   Give me popsicle sticks any day.

25 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

IMG20240224163750.thumb.jpg.c10ad75d369ab198ff461c7f2dd30987.jpg

This is how mine is attached.

That's really a good idea to have those air chambers, which reduces the vibration as flow shuts off - "water hammer" would tend to tear those screws out of the concrete, otherwise.

4 hours ago, exchemist said:

Presumably an operational hazard in the US. 😁

Bwahaha!  

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

A wood frame house can be protected from fire (proper shingles or sheet metal roof, clearing vegetation near structure, mineral wool insulation, fire-rated sheathing etc.), but it's impossible to stop a strong temblor from cracking or even tearing apart masonry.   Give me popsicle sticks any day.

That's really a good idea to have those air chambers, which reduces the vibration as flow shuts off - "water hammer" would tend to tear those screws out of the concrete, otherwise.

Glad to know what those are.

Whoever did the plumbing before I bought the place really knew their business. Even the window AC unit has actual drain piping lol.

1 hour ago, Externet said:

No drain nearby... :huh:

Leaking water would flow outdoors.

Edited by Endy0816

13 hours ago, zapatos said:

That sounds like a gamble!

Edited by Sensei