Is humanity inevitably heading toward disaster led by idiocy?

AnimaAeterna

..I have known many people who claimed to be scientists, but never bothered to do any experiment that could find something useful for humanity.. This forum is full of them, especially in the speculation section.. ;)

Being a "scientist" is not just about graduating from the right school or not.. it's about a general approach to the subject.. Priorities etc.

Edited by Sensei

20 hours ago, Sensei said:

Of course it is feasible

I don't see any of course about it given the extreme distance, extreme costs of transport and the extreme conditions. We don't even have an inventory of what minerals are essential vs which are available there let alone what it would take to exploit them cost effectively - cost being about how much time and work people there must do to produce what is needed, which inconveniently includes what colonists can exchange for what they import.

It is possible that nations would make a space colony and commit to supporting it in perpetuity in the hope it can become a self reliant Planet B in order to preserve an independent remnant of the human race from distant global catastrophe but that is not currently the case and I am not convinced it would have widespread support - although I expect there are some with bunkers intended for preserving a remnant from much nearer term catastrophes.

Having to rely for day to day survival on large scale taxpayer support from very far away, that must persist unbroken for unforeseeable lengths of time doesn't sound like a sound plan.

Edited by Ken Fabian

7 minutes ago, Genady said:

Which part what?

Well, Schrodinger's cat is designed to show the absurdity of comparing the little with the big, and you seem to be doing that, but in the antipode.

I'm just pointing out that this topic is, macro, so the micro need not apply...

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

Well, Schrodinger's cat is designed to show the absurdity of comparing the little with the big, and you seem to be doing that, but in the antipode.

I'm just pointing out that this topic is, macro, so the micro need not apply...

And I am pointing out that macro does not apply because the population is not on the macro level.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:32 AM, Sensei said:

..I have known many people who claimed to be scientists, but never bothered to do any experiment that could find something useful for humanity.. This forum is full of them, especially in the speculation section.. ;)

What does “useful for humanity” have to do with this?