Is humanity inevitably heading toward disaster led by idiocy?

AnimaAeterna

33 minutes ago, Genady said:

I wouldn't say that I fully understand what you mean

For example, the Russian revolution missed a step; it went straight from subsistence farming to a capitalist end game by force, not choice...

2 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

For example, the Russian revolution missed a step; it went straight from subsistence farming to a capitalist end game by force, not choice...

Which revolution was it?

Just now, dimreepr said:

You'll note that in my first post in this thread I added the word finally, the inference being it's happening now.

I am asking about the revolution that you referred to here:

14 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Do you mean that this^^^ revolution is happening now?

2 minutes ago, Genady said:

I am asking about the revolution that you referred to here:

Do you mean that this^^^ revolution is happening now?

I don't know!!! 

Can you tell when the event horizon is crossed?

All I'm saying is, Marxism is more about balance than communism... 

1 minute ago, Genady said:

That is the only event horizon that is well defined. I assume that you mean some metaphorical event horizon. Then, only you know what it is.

I can't find the slaphead emoji 🙄, I imagine I'd use it as I frantically tried to swim away from the cameras that covers Niagara fall's...

Stephen Hawking used to say humanity had another 1,000 years.  However, shortly before he died, he changed his prediction to 100 years.  But when he says we need to colonize another planet within 100 years that seems impossible.  How could a colony on Mars be self-sufficient within only 100 years?  Doesn't make sense.

Stephen Hawking says we have 100 years to colonize a new planet—or die. Could we do it? (popsci.com)

"Could we do it?"  No we can't.

Edited by Airbrush

On 7/28/2023 at 1:34 AM, iNow said:

Hasty generalizations are always wrong all the time and this never varies. Not ever. Not once. Never. 

I don’t accept your premise. I bet we also define science differently 

Does that include your generalization of generalizations? :P

In any case, I understand greed doesn't necessarily follow power. In fact power is often attained through competence rather than greed, or some combination of competence and other factors. My generalization is aimed at much of politics and big businesses. 

3 hours ago, AnimaAeterna said:

Does that include your generalization of generalizations? :P

In any case, I understand greed doesn't necessarily follow power. In fact power is often attained through competence rather than greed, or some combination of competence and other factors. My generalization is aimed at much of politics and big businesses. 

Your generalisation isn't aimed at all, it's like a punt gun pointing at a flock of people.

Greed is good for example, is it only wrong in the right circumstances, or, only right in the wrong circumstances???

On 7/30/2023 at 1:02 AM, Airbrush said:

Stephen Hawking used to say humanity had another 1,000 years.  However, shortly before he died, he changed his prediction to 100 years.  But when he says we need to colonize another planet within 100 years that seems impossible.  How could a colony on Mars be self-sufficient within only 100 years?  Doesn't make sense.

Stephen Hawking says we have 100 years to colonize a new planet—or die. Could we do it? (popsci.com)

"Could we do it?"  No we can't.

Of course it is feasible, but not in a capitalist world where everything revolves around money.. In a capitalist country, only what will bring a return on investment is done.

A significant number of people waste their lives doing a job they hate, just to make money.

A significant number of people waste their lives not being able to graduate from a good school because they and their family are not rich enough to send their children to places like Harvard, Oxford, MIT, etc. Teachers, scientists, engineers plan their careers based on how much they will earn. And they are even forced to do so because they have taken out student loans.

Instead of working on their projects, scientists and engineers waste time begging management and investors for money for their projects. The amount of return on a project is the key to its acceptance or rejection.

How much can you earn from a flight to the Moon?

How much can you earn from a flight to the Mars?

I would say nothing that can be earned in the current human lifetime.

Billionaires will be even more reluctant to fly into orbit and similar risky tourism activities, after the Titan disaster. The first dead billionaire in a space accident is yet to come. It's not a question of "if", but "when"..

On 7/30/2023 at 1:02 AM, Airbrush said:

How could a colony on Mars be self-sufficient within only 100 years?

There are places that will never be self-sufficient. The Arctic and Antarctic are not self-sufficient for the people who live there.

UK and Japan are examples too. They have to import 50%-60% of the food people consume.

"Japan imports about 60% of its food. Though the country usually is self-sufficient in rice, eggs, mandarin oranges and whale meat, it imports many basic goods, such as soybeans and cooking oil. Among developed nations, Japan is one of the countries with the lowest rate of food self-sufficiency. "

https://www.culturalworld.org/how-much-food-does-japan-import.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_food_self-sufficiency_rate

11 minutes ago, swansont said:

This scientist didn’t.

You are an exception :)

ps. People would be more interested in what scientific discoveries you made during your life. No one would care how much money you made (or Einstein, or Newton, or some pathetic politician).

Edited by Sensei