How good are padlocks etc?

mistermack

This youtube video is a real eye-opener. After watching it, you won't be anywhere near as confident in your bike or shed lock. 

It's made me determined to pay a lot more next time I buy a lock. 

Has anyone got any methods that they consider failsafe? 

Two observations I recall from discussing locks with colleagues:

1. Locks keep honest people honest (i.e. they won’t succumb to temptation). Locks make it more difficult to gain access, not impossible.

2. One function of a lock is to make it obvious that someone has broken in. (Important e.g. if you are safeguarding information, which is something that could be copied without being physically removed.)

1 hour ago, swansont said:

Two observations I recall from discussing locks with colleagues:

1. Locks keep honest people honest (i.e. they won’t succumb to temptation). Locks make it more difficult to gain access, not impossible.

2. One function of a lock is to make it obvious that someone has broken in. (Important e.g. if you are safeguarding information, which is something that could be copied without being physically removed.)

As a corollary to 1. it makes the target less attractive compared to unsecured targets.  Even if built sturdy, many padlocks (especially in the low to mid-price range) can be picked by simple raking (a simple technique that often only takes seconds).

1 hour ago, mistermack said:

This youtube video is a real eye-opener. After watching it, you won't be anywhere near as confident in your bike or shed lock. 

It's made me determined to pay a lot more next time I buy a lock. 

Has anyone got any methods that they consider failsafe? 

A pitbull, chained nearby.

Bikes with quick release wheel and saddle. (stops ride away thefts, anyway)

Be Paul Erdos (scroll down to "Personality")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Erdős

The thing that really surprised me in the youtube video was the small size of the tools that you need. 

Bolt croppers I was aware of, but they are a bit of a giveaway due to size, and angle grinders make a lot of noise and sparks. But a couple of stout spanners, quick twist, and the lock's open is impressive, or disturbing, depending on how you look at it. 

Maybe there's an opening for an enterprising person, to start an assessment site for security devices in general, so that people can just visit and see how well their prospective purchase actually stands up.

I did know that the cheap Chinese cast iron padlocks are pretty much worthless, you can just hit them with a hammer and they shatter, but I wasn't aware how easy it was to break the clasps of the (slightly) more expensive ones.

I've generally put my faith in D locks, when it's convenient to carry one. They would take more than a couple of spanners to spring open, due to their size. 

It's the combination of small tools, and quiet and quick operation, that surprised me about breaking the padlocks.

I got a set of lockpicks and played with a few padlocks I had. I didn't rake them as I wanted to avoid damage, but I was surprised how quickly you can pick them even without training. And raking would have been likely as effective but only taking seconds.

LiteLock X1 and Hiplock D100 are the strongest I've seen. You have to cut them twice to remove them. 

It’s one of the toughest tests of a lock and it’s where the X1 really excelled. It took me an impressive 17 minutes 20 seconds to cut through one side of the shackle.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/accessories/locks/litelok-x1-bike-lock-review/

5 hours ago, mistermack said:

Bolt croppers I was aware of, but they are a bit of a giveaway due to size

They come in smaller sizes easier to conceal and with only minimal loss in cutting ability 

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

They come in all different sizes. I suppose I could go measure mine?

Anyway, when all else fails:

image.thumb.jpeg.3a2c50c6dad18ec028ce409b8dbb9907.jpeg

Angle grinders. As I've linked... isn't 17 minutes  and several discs for a single cut long enough. Are you going to spend over half an getting a lock off when the bike on next door can come off in seconds. Security is about moving thieves on to easier pickings. As for gas cutters, get real.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

It’s one of the toughest tests of a lock and it’s where the X1 really excelled. It took me an impressive 17 minutes 20 seconds to cut through one side of the shackle.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/accessories/locks/litelok-x1-bike-lock-review/

It's impressive, but at £150 it's more than ten times what I spent on my bike. (police auction buy)

The difference between padlocks and D locks and U locks looks fuzzy, I suppose they are all padlocks, and the difference is marketing names. 

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

Just being lighthearted. It’s not like I was planning on stealing a locked bicycle in the near future. 

OK. Sorry.

2 minutes ago, mistermack said:

It's impressive, but at £150 it's more than ten times what I spent on my bike. (police auction buy)

The difference between padlocks and D locks and U locks looks fuzzy, I suppose they are all padlocks, and the difference is marketing names. 

Yes, you have to weigh it up whether it's worth it to you. When I get my scooter it will be one of those.

Everything is a little easier with liquid nitrogen.  Locks that resist a hammer may succumb if the metal is made more brittle.  

(offered in the lighthearted mode of @iNow - it may be hard to remain unobtrusive carrying around a tank of LN and deploying it)

Demo at 4:40...

There's also the "outside the box" method, with bikes, of unbolting the rack which the bike was locked onto.

https://bikeportland.org/2022/12/05/video-thief-unbolts-rack-and-steals-bike-in-downtown-portland-367879

If you're a municipality or business installing a bike rack, be sure to have the bolts shielded in some way.