Can I delete such folders from C disk, example "02eeb6d92f89e33ba2ea06"

PeterBushMan

It all depends on the operating system being used....

Different operating system, different meaning....

19 minutes ago, Mordred said:

They look like back up folders of some kind though I could be wrong

As usual, his post is too ambiguous. Creating such a folder on C:\ would require administrator privileges..

Edited by Sensei

I think these are "temporary" folders where updates are loaded to, before being applied. So while I'd expect them to not be needed once those updates have been applied, my inclination (especially in the lack of context) is to just leave them alone.

If anything, (and if sufficient rights are held) moving them to some subfolder, so they can be moved back if stuff stops working, or deleted a year later, would be what I did.

(There is no money back guarantee for this comment.)

16 minutes ago, pzkpfw said:

If anything, (and if sufficient rights are held) moving them to some subfolder, so they can be moved back if stuff stops working, or deleted a year later, would be what I did.

An alternative test is to rename them in some consistent way, so they can be renamed back if needed.

True, but moving isn't much more of an exercise for the disk than renaming (moving a file does not mean all of its content is shifted to some other area of the disk), and it achieves the immediate aim of tidying. If nothing breaks immediately, moved folders can stay where they are for a while. If only renaming, the root folder stays "messy" until the decision to delete.

Edited by pzkpfw

3 minutes ago, pzkpfw said:

True, but moving isn't much more of an exercise for the disk than renaming (moving a file does not mean all of its content is shifted to some other area of the disk), and it achieves the immediate aim of tidying. If nothing breaks immediately, moved folders can stay where they are for a while. If only renaming, the root folder stays "messy" until the decision to delete.

True, but unlike renaming, moving requires some way of knowing which folder it was moved from, in case you decide to move it back.

On 6/30/2023 at 6:44 PM, Sensei said:

Are you asking for permission to delete files from your own drive?

You are NOT smart, or you know Nothing about computer.

or You are NOT smart and you know nothing about computer.

I am sure you know NOTHING about the folder I mentioned.

3 hours ago, PeterBushMan said:

Nor do you.
Which means that, if Sensei isn't smart, nor are you.

Past evidence suggests that he's smarter than you are.
And, in any event, he's right about this.

On 6/30/2023 at 7:14 PM, Sensei said:

his post is too ambiguous.

My general rule is, deleting something on the c drive is undesirable unless you know for certain what it does. Which is unlikely to happen without tiresome research, which rarely has a point. If you suspect something harmful, use a good anti-virus to scan the pc. Or there are various cleaner programs like IOBIT Advanced Systemcare available for free. 

I think, if it's working ok, leave it alone. Like the human body. You wouldn't be wise to cut bits off, just because you don't know if they do anything. 

9 hours ago, PeterBushMan said:

You are NOT smart, or you know Nothing about computer.

or You are NOT smart and you know nothing about computer.

Its name consists of 11 bytes in hexadecimal numeral system. 11 bytes * 8 bits = 88 bits. Which is a typical length for a certain type of hash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_hash_function

https://www.google.com/search?q=hash+"88"+bits+length

Although it can shorten a hash with more bits to less, cutting part of it, to make it harder to figure out what it was prior modifications.

The proper, untruncated, MD5 hash length should be 128 bits = 16 bytes = 32 characters in hex format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5

SHA-1, SHA-256 are longer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-1

160 bits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-2

256 bits

If you see such name on your drive, you should:

1) open regedit and search for this value either in ASCII and hexadecimal (byte) form.

2) use FileMon or equivalent to figure out which app opens and uses this folder:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/filemon

3) scan all content files for the existence of this name in some file. However, the chances of success are slim.

I would simply rename it to something else (i.e. append suffix, prefix) and then see what happens. Is it recreated? Some app starts misworking?

Edited by Sensei

I would say, if it bugs you so much you feel you have to try deleting the folder, then use one of the free backup programs like AOMEI backerupper to create an image file of the c drive, before you risk deleting the folders. 

At least that way, you can restore the drive, if it stops working, or goes haywire. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2023 at 9:04 AM, mistermack said:

I would say, if it bugs you so much you feel you have to try deleting the folder, then use one of the free backup programs like AOMEI backerupper to create an image file of the c drive, before you risk deleting the folders. 

At least that way, you can restore the drive, if it stops working, or goes haywire. 

I want to find out what are those files we have to keep.