Kentucky Derby shock

Genady

Sounds like a fairy tale, too: a little known horse from a small stable, entered the race at the last minute because some other horse was disqualified - won the biggest upset since 1918.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

His stud duties will be off the charts I reckon now. I've never seen anything like that: to have so much energy in reserve near the end.

My spouse expressed a similar opinion - at least about never seeing anything like that.  

On 5/8/2022 at 8:01 PM, Genady said:

Sounds like a fairy tale, too: a little known horse from a small stable, entered the race at the last minute because some other horse was disqualified - won the biggest upset since 1918.

OTOH, it sound's like the start of a myth. 😉

On 5/8/2022 at 9:52 PM, StringJunky said:

I've never seen anything like that: to have so much energy in reserve near the end.

Whoever runs or rides in front has to fight the wind, and those who are in the back are in the areodynamic tunnel created by them (smaller air resistance), therefor save the energy.

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

Whoever runs or rides in front has to fight the wind, and those who are in the back are in the areodynamic tunnel created by them (smaller air resistance), therefor save the energy.

Yes, I've seen that with pelotons in cycling, but I've not seen a horse turn the power on that much, and judging by the YT comments neither have many others.