Can science prove God ?

cornel

Science proves God?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Science proves or increases the chance for a God to exist?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • Is something that science can't properly explain
    • Science disproves God

1 hour ago, AIkonoklazt said:

You took up the question, so now it's to you.

OK. Why would you expect a Geiger counter to measure length? How is it you've heard the term Geiger counter but not know what it is such that this would be a reasonable question?

p.s. this thread needs more memes

No, not really

2 minutes ago, swansont said:

OK. Why would you expect a Geiger counter to measure length? How is it you've heard the term Geiger counter but not know what it is such that this would be a reasonable question?

The same reason you expect science to do some metaphysical proof.

2 minutes ago, swansont said:

No, not really

Yes, really.

image.png.bbe141ab3a48f362a3e42c9501f96402.png

2 minutes ago, AIkonoklazt said:

The same reason you expect science to do some metaphysical proof.

Do I, in fact, expect this? What's your evidence of this?

Remember, it isn't true just because said so - that's not an argument. Back up what you say. (I read that somewhere)

Also, a Geiger counter could be used to measure a length, under certain conditions. Using it as a Geiger counter. It's not difficult to envision it, IMO, leveraginge the 1/r^2 nature of a point source of radioactivity.

5 minutes ago, swansont said:

Do I, in fact, expect this? What's your evidence of this?

Remember, it isn't true just because said so - that's not an argument. Back up what you say. (I read that somewhere)

What do you mean? It's the title of the entire thread. Did I just miss someone doing it?

6 minutes ago, swansont said:

Also, a Geiger counter could be used to measure a length, under certain conditions. Using it as a Geiger counter. It's not difficult to envision it, IMO, leveraginge the 1/r^2 nature of a point source of radioactivity.

Not the Geiger counter I was talking about. I want one that measures in Geigers (see above previous screenshot)

image.png.f63a4a286be51bcbbc0e43a6c98a7a4d.png

6 minutes ago, AIkonoklazt said:

What do you mean? It's the title of the entire thread. Did I just miss someone doing it?

It’s not my thread, and 

Not the Geiger counter I was talking about. I want one that measures in Geigers (see above previous screenshot)

I’m really not in the mood to tolerate you being obtuse.

(I am reminded of the phrase The failure mode of “clever” is “asshole”)

So don’t expect my continued participation in this little game

1 minute ago, swansont said:

It’s not my thread, and 

I’m really not in the mood to tolerate you being obtuse.

(I am reminded of the phrase The failure mode of “clever” is “asshole”)

Obtuse? You mean the point in this entire thread where someone "proved God" via science?

image.png.d87c6fbe6d65916dbe2015e701e7b772.png

I'm reminded of "how many fingers am I holding up?"

You dehydrated?

27 minutes ago, swansont said:

So don’t expect my continued participation in this little game

It's not a game. The Internets is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

image.png.74a1e731a41a751b795cc8b7fefb5da2.png

13 hours ago, zapatos said:
23 hours ago, mar_mar said:

life begins with the first heartbeat and the first breath.

I'm glad to see you are pro-abortion.

I assume, you mean some connection there, but, definitely, it is well hidden.

And what are you glad for?

12 hours ago, Bufofrog said:

It is your opinion that is what the Bible says.  There many Christians that think only humans have souls.  I was just curious what your take was.

I can ask you questions on pure phisics, not religious, but you won't like that. And I was told not to bring this up. So, let The Bible for those, who want to read it.

Edited by mar_mar

4 hours ago, mar_mar said:

So, let The Bible for those, who want to read it.

I've read the bible and the lessons are there for all to read, most of which don't really include god, well, not the good ones; the bad ones need a little more thought to understand the author's intention, and guess what, the author isn't god.

TBH mate, if you're hearing or seeing god, you'd be more likely to start a new religion.

Please feel free to preach your heart out, just please recognise the source of your enlightenment and let people make up their own mind; sometimes abortion leads to a sunlit upland, for the parent, and not the hell that child would have to suffer from a malicous/unprepared/unwilling/disinterested/unable parent...

Edited by dimreepr

6 hours ago, mar_mar said:

I can ask you questions on pure phisics, not religious, but you won't like that.

Why not?

And I was told not to bring this up.

I don't know what 'this' is but don't bring it up if you've been asked not to.

16 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

Uh, what?

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Non-Overlapping_Magisteria

most proposed gods' alleged effects on the material world are, of course, material, and can be studied much in the same way that all science really just detects real-world cause and effect relationships. In this sense, critics reject the "non-overlapping" aspect of the two magisteria and conclude that if the two genuinely didn't overlap, supernatural entities would have no effect on the real world and thus their existence, or not, is a moot point.

I can ask you questions on pure phisics, not religious, but you won't like that. And I was told not to bring this up. So, let The Bible for those, who want to read it.

!

Moderator Note

Just noting that most people who can't defend their assertions and are told not to bring it up again for that reason choose to view it as censorship, or that we don't want to discuss their idea because it's too challenging. I don't know what you're referring to, but if it was an admonition from staff, it's because you were unable to persuade anyone that your idea was valid. THAT is why you were asked not bring it up again. You don't get to use your idea in other threads if you can't defend it in your own.

7 hours ago, mar_mar said:

So, let The Bible for those, who want to read it.

I’ve read it several times. It’s a large part of the reason I’m an atheist today.

Did you have a specific section or at least book you’d like US to focus to focus upon seeking validation of YOUR point? Maybe at least define which of the numerous versions of “THE Bible” you’re “citing.”

And how come bibles don’t exist if the color red doesn’t exist? You’re horribly inconsistent to the point of absurdity. 

57 minutes ago, mar_mar said:

Ok. As your wish. I don't have an intention to prove or to preach anything. This is only a matter beliefs.

In case you missed it, this is a SCIENCE discussion forum. Nobody asked you to PROVE anything. If you believe something and want to share it here, you need to show people that your idea has merit. THAT is what you've failed to do. 

Preaching may not have been your goal, but when you insist your faith is reasonable after we've shown evidence that it's not, it's clear that no amount of reason or critical thinking will persuade you. That's called Soapboxing, or Preaching. It's not confined to religion, either. Many people become adamantly convinced they're correct. Evidence is the deciding factor.

But that's pretty typical with faith-based beliefs. You're convinced you're right, and we're convinced you can't support your beliefs. And with each post you make, we see more evidence that supports our conviction. 

Even worse, you've set up this really damaged feedback loop, where you think your faith is weakened by questioning it. It's like an engineer who refuses to inspect a bridge because that would mean he doesn't trust it not to fall down. Do you find bliss in such ignorance?

1 hour ago, AIkonoklazt said:

"MOOT POINT," says the non-colander-donning hoomahn...

A self-professed wiseman recently said (within the last 60 minutes, IINM):

Why are you replying if you don't have a point? Are you forgetting that "making a point" is "making a point regarding the topic at hand?"

Do you have the ability to not respond to a thread in which you have no actual argument to contribute to?

19 hours ago, iNow said:

A self-professed wiseman recently said (within the last 60 minutes, IINM):

Why are you replying if you don't have a point? Are you forgetting that "making a point" is "making a point regarding the topic at hand?"

Do you have the ability to not respond to a thread in which you have no actual argument to contribute to?

Self-proclaimed? Certainly you jest!

Well, isn't the FSM still being in the sky somewhere the "point?" I don't see how anything being moot actually proving or disproving the existence of anything metaphysical, FSM included.