Antony Howard Stark

The Collatz Conjecture has been proved. What next??

Hi friends I am a high school student from india and have been trying to prove the collatz conjecture. Physics and maths have always been my favourite and recently I have been able to develop a proof for this conjecture. What should I do? Whom should I send it to? What is its value? Please do help me out.

Edited by Antony Howard Stark

You would need to get it published in a mathematics journal. But that might be hard if you are not familiar with how to write a mathematics paper and a formal proof.

Alternatively, you could present your idea here and maybe someone can explain where you have gone wrong. :) 

That is probably a bit unfair; mathematics is one of the few areas where amateurs do occasionally make breakthroughs!

I feel that I should say something here. But I do not know exactly what.

The Collatz conjecture is extremely difficult and hard to prove. Some people would say that it might be impossible. A proof or disproof of the conjecture would be extremely interesting.

If you have an idea for a proof, you should certainly discuss it with somebody, and find out whether there is a hole in your proof suggestion. 

If you cannot find a mistake, it is still not a disaster if you send a written up version to a journal and it turns out to be wrong. Of course if it turns out to be correct it is just great, but I think you are not worrying much about that case anyway. 

The problem is that if you submit a manuscript to a journal, and it is not written in formally coherent way, then it could be summarily rejected, especially if you are dealing with a high-end journal. Which you naturally should be, if you propose to solve this conjecture.

Is there some way that you can give more information about your work, without revealing enough to enable somebody to steal it?

If you have a finished manuscript, I can recommend to submit it to the Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, of which I am an editor: www.combinatorics.org - we will take a look at it and recommend what you should do with it further, possibly guiding you all the way to final publication.

4 hours ago, Antony Howard Stark said:

Hi friends I am a high school student from india and have been trying to prove the collatz conjecture. Physics and maths have always been my favourite and recently I have been able to develop a proof for this conjecture. What should I do? Whom should I send it to? What is its value? Please do help me out.

First, you should show it to your local school mathematics teacher. Then he/she should show it to somebody on nearby university for verification..

24 minutes ago, Sensei said:

First, you should show it to your local school mathematics teacher.

Good idea.