Trump is the most smart American.

cheetaman

4 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Free food for the poor puts me in mind of "The grapes of wrath" - John Steinback, especially the part where the capitalists threw away food and guarded it, from the starving. 

Sounds pretty bad.

IMO a balance is that we, as a society, are obligated to take care of the poor. Housing, education, food. That being said, due to the sheer number of people who need help, we can give fewer people better help, or all of them worse help. We cannot, however, help all of them with good help at the same time(or at least not while military spending is 660 billion).

There are things we need to spend money on, however, at some point, we have to look at things and realize we have to turn down some programs because we can't afford them.

Like, the Pennsylvania Race Horse Development Fund. Helpful, but seriously, we could live without it and spend the money on other things.

I don't know about Trump being the "most smart American", but he looks and acts like an anti-Christ.  Nothing about him is Christ-like and yet he claims to be Christian.  What does Trump do for the "least of his brethren"?  He considers the least of his brethren as losers.  Trump wanted to call the Tax Bill the "Cut, Cut, Cut Bill".  Biggest cuts for the very wealthy, less big cuts for the moderately wealthy, and modest cuts for the rest of us.

Edited by Airbrush

On 4/8/2018 at 1:52 PM, John Cuthber said:

It seems to me that the problem pretty much starts when people compare education or care for the elderly/ poor with "the Pennsylvania Race Horse Development Fund".

I fail to see what you're getting at.

Nor why you seem to think I'm creating a problem.

Nor what that problem is.

Actually, I fail to see the point of this at all.

Please elaborate.

On 4/8/2018 at 2:11 PM, Airbrush said:

I don't know about Trump being the "most smart American", but he looks and acts like an anti-Christ. 

The Anti-Christ will be a lot more likable, I assure you.

31 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

I fail to see what you're getting at.

Nor why you seem to think I'm creating a problem.

Nor what that problem is.

Actually, I fail to see the point of this at all.

John can easily speak for himself, but there were two primary flaws with your post from my perspective. 

First was the idea of affordability. You began with a conclusion that social care is unaffordable then based the rest of your post on that starting premise. I, however, reject your premise as remedially false.

Now, I’d be foolish not to concede that our current approach is a horribly inefficient Rube Goldberg patchwork full of holes, and we can all agree that there are grifters and far too much graft leeching from our social systems today, but we very much could provide universal healthcare, some food, and basic shelter for all citizens right now if only we prioritized it... and we could do all of this without crippling or bankrupting our economy.

We have multiple examples of nations doing these things well today and for decades past and who still manage to sustain themselves and exist with robust economies, the Scandinavian countries being the most obvious examples, but there are others.

So, I reject your foundational premise as mistaken and counter assert that the only thing preventing us from doing right by our citizens and providing for everyone in the ways described above is politics, not economics. This is a political problem we’re trying to solve, not an economic one and you were IMO mistaken to base your argument around affordability concerns. 

Second, you were discussing our treatment of the elderly and the poor, yet the first example you chose was about horses and being wasteful with silly things related to them in Pennsylvania. We can all agree that wasting money on silly things is... well... is silly, but whether you meant to or not you essentially suggested that taking care of those elderly and poor humans most in need among us was also a silly thing like the PA Hirse Race Dev Fund.

I think you’re a good guy and didn’t mean anything disparaging, but that’s how it came across and I think that’s where John pushed back on you. Implicit in your post was the suggestion that paying for healthcare and taking care of our populace, elderly and otherwise, was a similarly silly thing like paying for that horse racing stuff in PA. It was an approach that lacked any semblance of empathy and which felt entirely too dismissive of those who most need us to stop dismissing them. 

Edited by iNow

1 hour ago, Raider5678 said:

The Anti-Christ will be a lot more likable, I assure you.

He can turn on the charm when he needs to.  Many people claim to like him, for example Geraldo Rivera told Bill Maher on the last "Real Time" that Trump has been good to him for decades, so why would Geraldo not like Trump?  And Playboy Bunny McDougal really liked him. :)

Edited by Airbrush

On 08/04/2018 at 6:52 PM, Raider5678 said:

That being said, due to the sheer number of people who need help, we can give fewer people better help, or all of them worse help.

When it comes to health care you could give more people better care and still save money. The USA must have one of the most stupidly inefficient systems in the world. By design. 

On 08/04/2018 at 6:52 PM, Raider5678 said:

or at least not while military spending is 660 billion

That is a huge amount of money but it isn’t the main problem.