Scientifically accurate Scy-fy movies

Silvestru

Hello forum,

Can you give me examples of pretty scientifically accurate scy-fy movies?

I know Kubrick was a physics enthusiast so he was trying to make his movie science as accurate as possible.

Any other examples?

I thought 2010: The Year We Make Contact was good. One problem here is that I know some areas of science better than others. The Andromeda Strain seemed good to me, but it could have holes in it miles wide on the medical / biological front and I wouldn't have necessarily caught them.

I watched Passengers last night, and it was largely good on that front. I thought they made a couple of mistakes re: gravity and the ships spin, but nothing that just really fouled up my disbelief.

That said, I don't think I scrutinize for that as much as some people - I just enjoy the movies. :) I enjoyed the Jack Reacher novel series by Lee Child, but an acquaintance of mine who knows guns just couldn't even read them because of what he thought of as gross inaccuracies in firearms realism in the books. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Inaccuracy of that sort bothers me much worse when it has to do with computer technology. Black Hat nearly made me gag.

I know Kubrick was a physics enthusiast so he was trying to make his movie science as accurate as possible.

It helped that the screenplay was based on an earlier work and co-written by Arthur C. Clarke. Movies based on any of the hard SF writers should be scientifically accurate.

Hello forum,

Can you give me examples of pretty scientifically accurate scy-fy movies?

Any other examples?

The Martian is an excellent example.

I heard much praise about The Martian, but the unbelievable part there is that NASA would spend money and risk the lives of crew to potentially save Matt Daemon. :P

Someone did an analysis of how much money was spent to save him between The Martian and Interstellar (also had decent physics in it) and other movies where he was retrieved from a distant place (those two make up the bulk of it)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/saving-matt-damon?utm_term=.nj4jeryvrn#.jo9gYr7br2

Also, those movies show that Matt Damon + airlocks is a bad combination.