Does life exist elsewhere in the universe?

blike

Does life exist elsewhere in the universe?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Does life exist elsewhere in the universe?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

I put yes, as considering the size of the universe it would be pretty incredible if there wasn't.

If the question were " Does intelligent life/ life anything like us exist elsewhere in the universe?" then my awsner would be not sure because I don't know nearly enough about biology to know.

It would be awfully difficult not to think that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.

Finding it, or it finding us, is another story.

The universe is so very vast that it would require super light speed velocities to explore even a tiny fraction pr. millinium and uncle Al says that nothing can exceed light speed.

I strongly believe that life has to exist somewhere else other then on earth. There is very low chance that we are the only once.

I am wondering if the other form of life is also trying to look for us?

Do you guys think life exist on Mars?:confused:

your dad on a pogos said "too many chances for there not to be."

http://www.linkdisabled.com is a good website which has many things detailing the chances of there being another planet like earth. Extremely low :P

Its pretty incredible that we even exist, given the perfection of our planet (especially after the formation of the moon).

A friend of mine and I made a website which is kinda about this topic for a competition (which we are yet to find out the results of :))

http://www.b-storm.net/science

Hope it helps

I was suprised we hadn't done this blatantly obvious poll yet.
Have we not ?

Poll: E.t. Do you think aliens exist http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10324

And I vote the same here as there:

I think life will arise everywhere there is a possibility' date=' not just by chance.

To have the Earth as the only place in the hole Universe with the correct circumstanses for life to arise must have lower odds than the opposite.[/quote']

means = Instant communication or travel

Yes, but do you suppose that that is possible?

What it comes down to is whether or not light speed can be exceeded. Do you think that humankind will ever reach that technological plateau?

your dad on a pogos said "too many chances for there not to be."

http://www.%%%%%%%%.com is a good website which has many things detailing the chances of there being another planet like earth. Extremely low :P

I'd consider it a personal favor if you didn't post links to spyware/malware filled search engine sites. Not only is it annoying to click on them, posting the link increases the listing on genuine search engines like Google.

means = Instant communication or travel
We don't need that to find life on Mars or Europa.

Also even if intelligent aliens where on a planet orbiting another star, the star could still be close enough for communication with lightspeed.

Not so long ago it could take a letter several years to travel, did it stop people from writing ?

With better equipment we might be able to see traces of life on other planets far away, also without fancy warpspeed.

If Universe is 13.7 billion years old and Earth is only 4.5 billion, then it's very possible that other planets was created before Earth, so there is plenty of time for any signals, created or natural, to travel to us with lightspeed. How many planets is there within a radius of say 2 billion lightyears from us ?

Life: yes, almost certainly.

Intelligent life: just maybe, but extremely rare.

It took over 3 billion years for life to graduate to complex metazoans. It took another 600 million years for intelligence to emerge. Said intelligence then set about causing the biggest mass extinction since KT boundary event.

So, it seems to take a damnably long time (and a bunch of chance events) to produce intelligence, which then promptly sets about destroying itself.

Yes' date=' but do you suppose that that is possible?

What it comes down to is whether or not light speed can be exceeded. Do you think that humankind will ever reach that technological plateau?[/quote']

If U can create wormholes and control them, then. ie. with todays theories. As we progress we will comeup with new possible theories.

Spyware? Malware?

Dude. thats my personal website.. plz give details, that should not be happening. its just a science thing I made for a competition at school.

heres the comp I entered.

http://www.amonline.net.au/eureka/schools_earth_sciences/index.htm

ITs run my macquarie university, amo = australian national museum... dude, thats a lrgit site. http://www.b-storm.net that is.. if you had problems plz detail, because it is seriously meant to be legit.

The probability of life being anywhere else seems very high to me. I cannot figure out why of such a huge universe... only our planet should be blessed to have intelligent life. That is the main premise for me to question this. One cannot be sceptical about it, though. I guess we still do not have enough means to explore the vastness of the universe. As my favourite quote says:

"I see what is, and ask: why? I dream of what could be, and ask: why not?"

I think we should keep questioning this until we are able to explore the entire universe… that seems light years away. :)

If U can create wormholes and control them, then. ie. with todays theories. As we progress we will comeup with new possible theories.

Do you believe in the existence of wormholes in space that can be used as shortcuts to other galaxies or to other regions in our own galaxie?