Time Dilation

Handy andy

I do not believe in Time Travel. Can some one help.

Photons of light compress the space in front of them and stretch it behind them causing waves, the double slit experiment works with both electrons and photons, the effect in space is therefore the same. The track of photons in a gravitational field is bent by gravity (the stretching of space) An electron orbiting an atom in a radioactive clock will be affected by its movement in a gravitational field, as will any photons emitted.

Can time displacement not more correctly be explained by instrumentation error? If not why not?

Is time dilation and time travel not like the kings new clothes.

Just because every one else believes in a thing does not constitute an argument.

I posted this thread here because it might be the correct place for it, but like I said I am not a believer.

Does anyone? There are good reasons to think it is impossible.

Can time displacement not more correctly be explained by instrumentation error? If not why not?

You would need to explain how every measurement made with wildly different techniques (from muon lifetimes to GPS to Hafele-Keating to Pound-Rebka to particle accelerators to ...) shows the same errors that just happen to exactly conform to the predictions of theory.

How does that work? Exactly

Photons of light compress the space in front of them and stretch it behind them causing waves, the double slit experiment works with both electrons and photons, the effect in space is therefore the same.

So you don't believe we can accurately measure anything but you are happy to believe this stuff you make up?

The track of photons in a gravitational field is bent by gravity (the stretching of space) An electron orbiting an atom in a radioactive clock will be affected by its movement in a gravitational field, as will any photons emitted.

Sounds about right.

Atomic clocks do not rely on radioactivity for their measurements.

The clock changes from relativity are not instrumentation error. It is uniform with the parameters of relativity, and not dependent on the type of clock. How would different instruments uniformly have the same instrumentation error?

Just because every one else believes in a thing does not constitute an argument.

I posted this thread here because it might be the correct place for it, but like I said I am not a believer.

!

Moderator Note

This is not a section or a topic for "beliefs". If you have rational reasons why you oppose a concept like time dilation, post them here and support them as best you can with evidence.

Waving your hands is not science. More rigor, please.

Alternatively, it's perfectly OK to ask questions when you don't understand something, instead of claiming it must be wrong.

Think of it this way.

1 odd reading = 1 odd reading possibly instrument error.

16 odd readings from 16 different instruments that all have the exact same pattern = A pattern.

It is not instrument error.

And then multiply that 16 by the millions (billions?) of times that the measurements have been repeated.

The track of photons in a gravitational field is bent by gravity (the stretching of space)

If you accept this (or were you just listing other things you don't believe) then it is worth noting that the path of photons is bent by the curving of space-time, not just space. And so time dilation is also a necessary consequence.

Photons of light compress the space in front of them and stretch it behind them causing waves, the double slit experiment works with both electrons and photons, the effect in space is therefore the same. The track of photons in a gravitational field is bent by gravity (the stretching of space) An electron orbiting an atom in a radioactive clock will be affected by its movement in a gravitational field, as will any photons emitted.

For gravitational time dilation to be due to instrument error, it it would have to be because the operation of the clock was physically effected by the local gravity it was exposed to. In that case, the time difference between two clocks would be related to the difference in the strength of gravity that they feel locally. However, this is not what Relativity predicts, it predicts that the time difference will be related to the difference in gravitational potential, and not to the difference in the strength of gravity. To give an example, imagine two worlds, one the mass and size of the Earth, and one with 4 times the mass and twice the radius. Clocks are placed both on the surface and at a 6378 km altitude above the surface for both of them.

The surface gravity of both worlds would be 1g. On the Earth sized world the gravitational force on the 6378 km high clock will be 1/4 that of the surface clock. For the larger world, it will be 0.444 as strong at the higher elevation. For both worlds the higher clock will run faster, but the the difference in tick rate will be greater for the larger world, even though the gravity difference between clocks is less. In addition, If you were to compare the clocks sitting on the surface of both worlds, you would find that the clock on the surface of the larger world would run slower than the surface clock on the Earth sized world, even though both clocks are experiencing 1g of gravity.

You can even have a situation were the clock feeling the least g force is the one running the slowest ( such would be the case for a clock sitting on the surface of Uranus compared to one sitting on the surface of the Earth; The surface gravity on Uranus is slightly less than that of the Earth's, but a clock there would run slower than one sitting on the surface of the Earth.)

The point being that even if you are only performing experiments with clocks placed at various altitudes above a single planet (like the Earth), the pattern for the clock rates would be completely different if they were effected by local gravity strength instead of gravitational potential as predicted by Relativity. All the multitude of experiments that have been done give results that match the Relativity prediction. Thus rules out instrument error caused by gravity effecting the mechanism of the clock.

Is time dilation and time travel not like the kings new clothes.

Sounds about right.

Atomic clocks do not rely on radioactivity for their measurements.

The clock changes from relativity are not instrumentation error. It is uniform with the parameters of relativity, and not dependent on the type of clock. How would different instruments uniformly have the same instrumentation error?

I Agree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_clock

Think of it this way.

1 odd reading = 1 odd reading possibly instrument error.

16 odd readings from 16 different instruments that all have the exact same pattern = A pattern.

It is not instrument error.

I am looking at it this way the instrument does not take into account it is affecting and being affected by the influence of gravity, it is not going slower through time, it is merely being affected by the stretching and contraction of space by it, which is slowing down its clock rate, giving the appearance of time dilation.

Atoms are full of space, gravity waves can be created by photons moving through space, as they can by electrons moving through space, Space appears to have a memory of what has passed, see the double slit experiment it is now possible, to get the same result firing a single photon at a time 10 seconds apart, the double slit experiment also works with electrons and larger particles.

And then multiply that 16 by the millions (billions?) of times that the measurements have been repeated.

If you accept this (or were you just listing other things you don't believe) then it is worth noting that the path of photons is bent by the curving of space-time, not just space. And so time dilation is also a necessary consequence.

My wife has told me a 1000 times not to exaggerate.

Time dilation is not necessary to support a theory, it either happens or it doesn't.

For gravitational time dilation to be due to instrument error, it it would have to be because the operation of the clock was physically effected by the local gravity it was exposed to. In that case, the time difference between two clocks would be related to the difference in the strength of gravity that they feel locally. However, this is not what Relativity predicts, it predicts that the time difference will be related to the difference in gravitational potential, and not to the difference in the strength of gravity. To give an example, imagine two worlds, one the mass and size of the Earth, and one with 4 times the mass and twice the radius. Clocks are placed both on the surface and at a 6378 km altitude above the surface for both of them.

The surface gravity of both worlds would be 1g. On the Earth sized world the gravitational force on the 6378 km high clock will be 1/4 that of the surface clock. For the larger world, it will be 0.444 as strong at the higher elevation. For both worlds the higher clock will run faster, but the the difference in tick rate will be greater for the larger world, even though the gravity difference between clocks is less. In addition, If you were to compare the clocks sitting on the surface of both worlds, you would find that the clock on the surface of the larger world would run slower than the surface clock on the Earth sized world, even though both clocks are experiencing 1g of gravity.

You can even have a situation were the clock feeling the least g force is the one running the slowest ( such would be the case for a clock sitting on the surface of Uranus compared to one sitting on the surface of the Earth; The surface gravity on Uranus is slightly less than that of the Earth's, but a clock there would run slower than one sitting on the surface of the Earth.)

The point being that even if you are only performing experiments with clocks placed at various altitudes above a single planet (like the Earth), the pattern for the clock rates would be completely different if they were effected by local gravity strength instead of gravitational potential as predicted by Relativity. All the multitude of experiments that have been done give results that match the Relativity prediction. Thus rules out instrument error caused by gravity effecting the mechanism of the clock.

I have no problem with what relativity predicts, my problem is the interpretation of time dilation.

Paraphrasing "as stated by experts on the forum space is nothing but a void which forces travel through".​ As I have mentioned on other threads I view space as being a substance, which all forces are transmitted through. From my viewpoint this is mostly wordology, both viewpoints are stating the same thing almost.

Relativity predicts, that the time difference will be related to the difference in gravitational potential, from my viewpoint this potential is produced by one of two mechanisms, one being the actual contraction of space (a substance ) around masses or galaxies, the other being by a disturbance of space around molecules atoms photons of light etc This disturbance acting like a vibration in sand which heavier objects will sink into. With both these ideas a graviton is not required, and space is a medium, all be it very hard to detect other than how it affects other atoms through gravity waves or the stretching and relaxing of space.

As I stated above I have no problem with relativity, it is the interpretation of time dilation I have an issue with. I just do not believe time slows down or speeds up, I think it is a misunderstanding of how forces are transmitted by space.

I need to have a think ref your examples. But need more info such as how long is the year and what is the spin rate of your earth sized planet and your imagined planets, what is their radius from the sun. Has the time dilation on Uranus been measured?

None of this rules out instrument error caused by gravity potential differences effecting the mechanism of the clock.

Thank you all for your responses, but as of this moment I still do not believe in Time dilation, other than the clocks slow down and speed up due to the fact they are moving through space, and how space is stretched around the clocks.

If you fly off in a space ship and return to the planet after aging for 10 years, everyone on the planet will have aged exactly the same amount as you when you return. Time dilation is not time travel, it is a misunderstanding of how the instrument is affected by space.

Just repeating the same thing doesn't make it any more plausible.

Please explain exactly how all instruments and observations can be affected by the same errors?

I am looking at it this way the instrument does not take into account it is affecting and being affected by the influence of gravity, it is not going slower through time, it is merely being affected by the stretching and contraction of space by it, which is slowing down its clock rate, giving the appearance of time dilation.

Why would all the different mechanisms (and things with no "mechanism" such as photons or muons) be affected in exactly the same way?

And if the clocks were actually slowing down due to some mechanical change, then we should be able to detect this.

Atoms are full of space, gravity waves can be created by photons moving through space

Can they? Citation needed.

Space appears to have a memory of what has passed, see the double slit experiment it is now possible, to get the same result firing a single photon at a time 10 seconds apart, the double slit experiment also works with electrons and larger particles.

Apart from being nonsense, how is this relevant to the topic?

My wife has told me a 1000 times not to exaggerate.

Time dilation is not necessary to support a theory, it either happens or it doesn't.

I am no exaggerating. How many times a day do you think mobile phones use GPS?

We observe time dilation happening. It is also a necessary consequence of Maxwell's equations. And they seem to work.

As I stated above I have no problem with relativity, it is the interpretation of time dilation I have an issue with. I just do not believe time slows down or speeds up, I think it is a misunderstanding of how forces are transmitted by space.

So it seems like we have to choose between a highly accurate theory and your gut feeling.

I think most people here will stick with the science.

Time dilation is not time travel, it is a misunderstanding of how the instrument is affected by space.

No one says it is. That is a misunderstanding of what the theory says.

I think his question, in essence, is as follows:

Let's say you have 5 different clocks in 5 different frames of reference. How can you compare them absolutely if time is dilated for all 5 frames of references? That other guy (John Lesser, I believe) was asking the same question.

I used to have this problem myself. It kinda creeps up on you sometimes because Einstein's relativity is so counter-intuitive at certain points and that's because our brains are stuck in an environment here on earth which does not reflect relativistic nature of reality at all. Since always, for thousands of generations we are stuck in that environment and our brains are tuned to perceive reality how it is presented to us - non-relativistically. Even a genius like Newton was not able to break that cage and it took Einstein 250 years later to notice what is really going on. It is fun to try to understand how time dilation and length contraction works and how GR and SR works in general. Treat it as an exercize for your brain. Start with that time dilation is a fact for moving, relativistic frames. Time really does run slower for fast moving objects - it really runs slower. There is a multitude of films on youtube which graphically explain how this works, maybe you can find something that will help you get your mind on the right track of thinking.

Then stop saying "An electron orbiting an atom in a radioactive clock"

Then you have a problem with relativity, because there are no forces involved in an inertial coordinate system. And it's incumbent on you to show that there are forces and how they affect atoms, in some quantifiable way, if you want to continue this discussion.

Then stop saying "An electron orbiting an atom in a radioactive clock"

Then you have a problem with relativity, because there are no forces involved in an inertial coordinate system. And it's incumbent on you to show that there are forces and how they affect atoms, in some quantifiable way, if you want to continue this discussion.

Would electron orbiting nucleus be better, at defined energy levels which can transition to higher or lower energy levels.

OK I have a problem, because the methods in which one would prove space is a substance that is affecting the movements of clocks, are the very methods used to claim time dilation, when they may be evidence for space as a substance.

I have a couple of experiments in mind I would like to discuss, I will find some links and come back with in the week.

I used to have this problem myself. It kinda creeps up on you sometimes because Einstein's relativity is so counter-intuitive at certain points and that's because our brains are stuck in an environment here on earth which does not reflect relativistic nature of reality at all. Since always, for thousands of generations we are stuck in that environment and our brains are tuned to perceive reality how it is presented to us - non-relativistically. Even a genius like Newton was not able to break that cage and it took Einstein 250 years later to notice what is really going on. It is fun to try to understand how time dilation and length contraction works and how GR and SR works in general. Treat it as an exercize for your brain. Start with that time dilation is a fact for moving, relativistic frames. Time really does run slower for fast moving objects - it really runs slower. There is a multitude of films on youtube which graphically explain how this works, maybe you can find something that will help you get your mind on the right track of thinking.

That sounds religious, I do not do religion. But am working on my lack of belief.

Let's say you have 5 different clocks in 5 different frames of reference. How can you compare them absolutely if time is dilated for all 5 frames of references? That other guy (John Lesser, I believe) was asking the same question.

Who is John Lesser

Just repeating the same thing doesn't make it any more plausible.

Please explain exactly how all instruments and observations can be affected by the same errors?

Why would all the different mechanisms (and things with no "mechanism" such as photons or muons) be affected in exactly the same way?

And if the clocks were actually slowing down due to some mechanical change, then we should be able to detect this.

Can they? Citation needed.

Apart from being nonsense, how is this relevant to the topic?

I am no exaggerating. How many times a day do you think mobile phones use GPS?

We observe time dilation happening. It is also a necessary consequence of Maxwell's equations. And they seem to work.

So it seems like we have to choose between a highly accurate theory and your gut feeling.

I think most people here will stick with the science.

No one says it is. That is a misunderstanding of what the theory says.

I Agree repeating the same thing does not make it more plausible. Just because you have something working, the explanation of how it actually works does not need to be correct or believed like a religion.

I will come back to your comments next week. I need to pay attention to my family for a couple of days or so.

Edited by Handy andy

OK I have a problem, because the methods in which one would prove space is a substance that is affecting the movements of clocks, are the very methods used to claim time dilation, when they may be evidence for space as a substance.

I have a couple of experiments in mind I would like to discuss, I will find some links and come back with in the week.

You could start with whether we are moving through the substance or at rest with it, but those experiments have been done.

You could start with whether we are moving through the substance or at rest with it, but those experiments have been done.

As you are aware I think the discussion ref substance of space has merit, but I would take the discussion a different way, using what is acceptable science(or at least on the edge of acceptable).

I think all accept Gravity is caused by the stretching and distortion of space, (the ball on a mat analogy). All things are affected by gravity, even photons of light, are attracted to each other. Both Bosons and Fermions cause and are affected by gravitational fields.

http://iopscience.io...630/18/2/023009

The double slit experiment has memory of what has passed, if photons are fired every 10 seconds the wave effect still appears, electrons used in the double slit experiment also generate a wave effect.

There is something from the fringe areas of science called the Aspden Effect where when a motor, after running five minutes or more, is switched off and the machine is stopped, you can restart it in the same or opposite direction and find that it now has a memory in the sense that it will require less energy to restart it provided that the time lapse between starting and restarting is no more than a minute or so. Harold Aspden was into the concept of aether or space being a substance.

Looking into an atom it is full of space with fermions and all manner of sub atomic particles moving around, these will be affected by gravity also. In space or at high altitude away from a gravitational field, their interactions with each other will only be affected by the space around them and inside of them. Not by the gravitational field of a planet for instance.

All forces are vectors, normally gravity is considered to be scalar but a photon of light with a gravitational potential well directed towards it, is moving at light speed compressing space in front of it and stretching space behind it, in its wake. A fermion moving in space will do the same. When an atom consisting of fermions is moving into a gravitational well the movement of its fermions are affected by the stretching of space. Atomic clocks slow down, If an atom is moved at a tangent to a potential well at different levels, the speed of movement across the potential well affects the atoms making up atomic clocks and they slow down. This is measured as time dilation, it is not an actual slowing of time.

Time Dilation or Time slowing down is not actual time slowing, it is just the measured time slowing.

I mentioned above if an astronaut was sent of into space and aged physically 10 years, then came back to planet earth, he would find all his friends there only having physically aged 10 years also, regardless of whether his clock on his space ship says only a year has passed.

I am still a disbeliever, and think Time Dilation is the Kings new cloths. I will try and come up with a stronger argument, over the next few days.

I think all accept Gravity is caused by the stretching and distortion of space, (the ball on a mat analogy).

The stretching of space-time. Without the time component, you wouldn't get gravity.

The double slit experiment has memory of what has passed, if photons are fired every 10 seconds the wave effect still appears, electrons used in the double slit experiment also generate a wave effect.

There is no evidence space has memory.

Time Dilation or Time slowing down is not actual time slowing, it is just the measured time slowing.

What is the difference? If I measure something and get a different answer, doesn't that mean that the thing I have measured has changed?

I mentioned above if an astronaut was sent of into space and aged physically 10 years, then came back to planet earth, he would find all his friends there only having physically aged 10 years also, regardless of whether his clock on his space ship says only a year has passed.

If his clock has measured 1 year, then he will have only aged by one year.

Or are you saying the atoms in his body are not affected in the same way as the atoms in his clock?

I have made research from experimentation in mechanic and the result is !~ Every systeme that belong to the same axis; time is the same.../ 2 systems that belong to a different Axis ../ time is different

Edited by Roger Dynamic Motion

I have made research from experimentation in mechanic and the result is !~ Every systeme that belong to the same axis; time is the same.../ 2 systems that belong to a different Axis ../ time is different

Maybe you could try using Google translate. Your English is often rather hard to understand.

The stretching of space-time. Without the time component, you wouldn't get gravity.

There is no evidence space has memory.

What is the difference? If I measure something and get a different answer, doesn't that mean that the thing I have measured has changed?

If his clock has measured 1 year, then he will have only aged by one year.

Or are you saying the atoms in his body are not affected in the same way as the atoms in his clock?

You can have time, but not time dilation it is instrument error:) Just what do you think is the cause of gravity? Would you agree it is caused by space transmitting a force.

Ref memory Can you explain a wave effect without waves. Waves are result of something that has passed, they are like memory. The wake of a boat is in effect a memory of the boat going past. Waves in the double slit experiment are created by photons.

What I am saying is that the accuracy of the clock is being affected by its movement through space and position in a gravitational field. My atoms in my body do not last longer because a clock runs slow on a mantel piece. What on earth makes you think a slow running clock will make you age slower.

All fermions and bosons are affected by gravity wells, they all create their own gravitational fields as they move. What makes you think that the movements of fermions in an atomic clock wont also be affected, by being in a gravitational field or moving through it.

Time dilation is instrumentation error caused by clocks moving through gravitational fields. " its the kings new clothes"

Edited by Handy andy

What I am saying is that the accuracy of the clock is being affected by its movement through space and position in a gravitational field. My atoms in my body do not last longer because a clock runs slow on a mantel piece. What on earth makes you think a slow running clock will make you age slower.

Why are the atoms in a clock different from the atoms in your body?

What makes you think that the movements of fermions in an atomic clock wont also be affected, by being in a gravitational field or moving through it.

What makes you think that the movements of fermions in a human body wont also be affected, by being in a gravitational field or moving through it.

Why are the atoms in a clock different from the atoms in your body?

What makes you think that the movements of fermions in a human body wont also be affected, by being in a gravitational field or moving through it.

The atoms in a clock are a machine, they are not alive and self replicating.

Why would organic matter age any slower because a clock ticks slow. Your body is not a machine wired to a clock, it is organic.

No, you have it all wrong.

It's not that movement makes clocks incorrect, it's that there is no universally correct time.

A slowed down clock is correct when moving. You are speaking of universal time which ypu would compare to "moving" times, but there is no such thing.

This has been brought up a billion times here and it comes from the lack of understanding of relativity.

And yes, you would actually age slower in a moving frame of reference. It's not just that only clocks run slower. That would make no sense.

So, the atoms in a machine are different from the atoms in a human body. Got it. That makes perfect sense.

After all, we hardly know how atoms work. The idea that they are colonies of little reproducing animals should revolutionise chemistry. I expect your Nobel Prize is already on the way.

Edited by Strange

Why would organic matter age any slower because a clock ticks slow. Your body is not a machine wired to a clock, it is organic.

You have it backwards.

A fundamental fact of the Universe is that light speed will always be measured to be the same (in a vacuum etc).

It follows from this that time (and distance), compared between relatively moving observers, can't be the same.

Clocks are just something used to measure time. They do something consistently repeatedly, and this is used to measure. It doesn't matter what the clock is, clocks will all experience the same dilation (when compared between relatively moving observers).

A spaceship could have several clocks, one with a wind-up spring, another with a quartz crystal resonating, one atomic clock, a burning candle, and a drop of water into a container ... all would be equally affected by relative motion. Those clocks with their different mechanical and chemical workings are not all coincidentally affected the same way by some mundane classical physics; the relative motion doesn't cause some weird physical effect on the clocks, it's a consequence of the constant speed of light, on time itself.

So, your objection "Your body is not a machine wired to a clock, it is organic." is irrelevant. The spaceship pilot is him or herself another one of the clocks on the spaceship! The biological and chemical processes in the pilot are just another thing that is affected by the passage of time. A generation ship (i.e. a colonisation spaceship) could be sent out with a new-born baby on board. When that baby teethes, when they experience puberty, when they experience menopause, when they die, could all be used a milestones of time. They'd "agree" with the on-board clocks (and calendars) of the spaceship, and be just as "time dilated" from the point of view of a relatively moving observer.

Relativity, from the constant speed of light, shows that time dilation will occur. There is no specification in relativity of what type of clock is "being dilated", as it's not a mundane physical, chemical or biological effect on the clock.