Everything posted by Moontanman
-
Speculation: Envision of Future Travel Technologies
One quarter impulse is supposed to be 1/4 the speed of light, much better than what we can do now... but the point that "impulse drive" is fantasy as described in Star Trek stands Impulse drive in Star Trek is supposed to be a fusion drive that most of the exhaust and waste heat is expelled into subspace. NASA on the other hand has a different idea; https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2021/02/03/ultimate-ev-engine-this-nasa-funded-space-drive-requires-no-fuel https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/2018_Phase_I_Phase_II/Mach_Effect_for_In_Space_Propulsion_Interstellar_Mission/
-
Aternate life chemistry
It does seem to point out the versatility of Boron and in fact Boron does rival carbon in its versatility but Boron has some extreme drawbacks. The rarity of Boron is probably the most significant, free Boron is explosive in an oxygen atmosphere and Boron "oxide?" is a solid at the temps water is liquid but it does dissolve in water (makes your laundry squeaky clean as well) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry This may be interesting; https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265737139_Alternative_Chemistries_of_Life https://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/A/alternative_forms_of_life.html https://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/B/boron-based_life.html
-
Speculation: Envision of Future Travel Technologies
Most if not all of these technologies would require what is known as "Clark Tech" or from our point of view "magic" I have my doubts that a star trek like leap in technologies is in our future at any point. The entire premise of Star Trek was the discovery of a new layer of reality, warp tech, subspace tech, and sometimes they talk about hyperspace, that sort of reminds me of the leap mankind made after the discovery of magnetism and electricity the control or use of both. Our entire civilization is based on electricity and magnetism, I have severe doubts we will ever make such a discovery again or that there even is one waiting to be discovered.
-
What's the story behind your username?
Yeah the good old days, hypography has gone down hill rather drastically.
-
Idea for why potential aliens would have no reason to interact with us
Not necessarily, aliens of one or several species could inhabit the Kuiper belt living in O'Neil type habitats or many other configurations. They could indeed avoid planets for many reasons but a planet with a burgeoning civilization may tempt specialists to observe us, especially since they inhabit our solar system. This idea of inhabiting many planetary systems could suggest that the galaxy is full of intelligent life but planets would be avoided this still leaves room for colonization of the galaxy and nearly every star would be a candidate, not just stars with habitable planets. There are elephants that have taught themselves to speak human languages. On in Korea speak Korean, maybe when we taught apes to use sign language we were picking the wrong species.
-
What's the story behind your username?
No wonder i think of swans on a lake of tea when i read your name! I was born on a mountain raised in a cave... no wait that's something else. I was raised a hillbilly but my adult life has been spent on the beach.
-
What's the story behind your username?
many many moons ago I was awakened rather rudely on the beach under a full moon, I was naked with a bottle of tequila in the sand beside me. They asked me what I was doing and I said getting a moon tan, the rest is infamy.
-
Aliens from space (split from Time to talk about UFO's or now as the military calls them UAP's?)
No I haven't, is it on a streaming service channel? $20 bucks is a bit steep for me.
-
who created god?
I am a hillbilly, I apologize for my attempt at humor to try and defuse the situation. So you are asserting that if special pleading is part of the answer then it isn't special pleading? An interesting way to get around that logical fallacy. If the same instrument/person was being used for every measurement then you would have a point, this is not the case. Once the "measurement" has been made it isn't automatically accepted as fact, it has to be measured by many people using many instruments who are doing their best to prove the initial person/measurement wrong. It's called the scientific method and has done a pretty good job of sorting chaff from the wheat so far. I disagree, you are using a tactic often used by science deniers to muddy the water of any scientific theory, in fact I think your argument qualifies as solipsism, which in my personal view is a somewhat less that honest argument. I think you are certainly beyond an honest argument. Solipsism again?
-
who created god?
I didn't ask you who created god, the special exception is special pleading no matter if it is part and parcel of the definition. You seem to be good at answers that make little to no sense except in your own world, I would suggest you try to pull your head out and answer more clearly. No one here is fooled by vague attempts to sound philosophical.
-
who created god?
Special pleading anyone? Again special pleading. The egg, amniotes appeared before there were turtles. I'm not sure what you are saying here, care to elaborate? Again I do not understand what you are saying, can you elaborate in manner that us hillbillies can understand? Asking who created the flagellum or the ATP-proton pump is a loaded question. Such things are clearly the result of evolution via natural selection over vast periods of time no creator needed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_flagella
-
Transgender athletes
While acknowledge my experience in this is highly limited, I've known only one transgendered Male/Female, he/she was... trying to put this delicately, well I'll describe her, about 6'6, muscular, large breasts, huge feet and hands, almost a walking circus act. She went to our church I felt a lot of sympathy towards her, I had extensive talks with her and found out the transition had pretty much brought her life to a halt, she lost her kids to her ex-wife, lost her job because she couldn't stand the hostility from her co workers. Her life was a mess, a horrific mess. I hope it got better as time went on but I have my doubts, she left town for a job and I never saw her again. This was a horror story by any ones measure. This thread make me wonder if she would have been better off if the transition had started before or around puberty. One thing is for sure, the transition didn't affect her manliness and I have known very tall women before but she was a fish out of water for sure.
-
Transgender athletes
What about women who have transitioned to be male, are they competitive?
-
Transgender athletes
I can remember playing sports with girls when I was young, got my clock cleaned by a girl playing football when I was 13, she was 13, by the time I was 15 she was no longer able to dominate me physically, in fact we went to several dances together and she was significantly smaller than me by then. Base ball might be a different thing, girls were completive with boys, in sand lot baseball, all through high school.
-
Transgender athletes
I'm not going to read all 1200 posts in this thread but I would like to ask if anyone has thought of the idea of letting trans kids participate in a order by themselves? This is all above my pay grade, maybe i will skim through the posts after all.
-
What are you listening to right now?
Oh shit it's those sparkly shoes again, send you straight to hell! Must be a great car!
-
The Futility of Exoplanet Biosignatures
Any bio markers seen by telescope would have some doubt attached to them. Right now there is a biosignature on Titan and a pretty good idea of how life could be possible in liquid methane/ethane. We will have to visit Titan either by robot or in person to be sure.
-
The Official JOKES SECTION :)
- Congressional UFO Hearing
That is a very good point, but when asked about this it was said that aliens are not being ruled out. I think it would be a step to far at this point to name aliens as a probability but the ones that are inexplicable, and not from lack of data, are being labeled "unknown" at some point the label "unknown" becomes quite provocative of something extraordinary. I think we may have crossed that line, only a continuing investigation will sort out the wheat from the chaff.- The Official JOKES SECTION :)
- Congressional UFO Hearing
I over stepped, out of 400 current sightings being studied one was ascribed to a partially deflated balloon... many pilot reports contained the info that the objects were traveling against prevailing winds and or were reacting to the jets and maneuvering at high speeds and therefore could not be balloons. this was not part of the hearing. I had seen these from other sources and mixed them up, I apologize.- Congressional UFO Hearing
This is true, the sensors are not ideally suited for UAP's but they are suited to identify other aircraft and have detected the UAP and have given enough info to warrant more study simply because they cannot identify the UAP. This has resulted in the admission of a need for further study. I would have to assume these tests/comparisons have been done since most of these UAP's currently under study lack any explanation. Balloons are specifically mentioned as being ruled out and birds seldom appear as hollow clear spheres with opaque cubes inside them that can fly among the jet aircraft and exceed their speeds.- Congressional UFO Hearing
Point taken. UFOs/UAP's were in a similar category of vague and hard to study, now they are being studied from more than just vague reports. I think there is a comparison to be made, it was often said UFO's consisted of nothing but anecdotes but now there is evidence in the form of radar and other sensors as well as human eyes and videos made by the military, not just civilians with polaroids. https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/report-no-explanations-for-uap-but-they-threaten-flight-safety/ The congressional hearing describes the investigation.- For Moontanman and all the Canadians here.
Come on man, just because I was caught exposing my genitals to the Moon light before it was popular in conservative circles.- Congressional UFO Hearing
Good link, it should however be said that meteorites were poopooed for a long time and although it was eventually solved it wasn't solved by people who refused to even look at the evidence and tried to ridicule anyone who did try to investigate the phenomena. I doubt it's reasonable to require possession of an actual alien space craft for analysis before realizing we might have something extraordinary going on. Right now we have recent photos of objects that simply cannot be explained by conventional means. Sightings by qualified observers, radar contacts, interactions with military jets, and professionals who are saying these objects actually pose a danger to military aircraft. I have to admit that the idea of some type of military hardware that most people are unaware of should still be the main go to but this cannot be said to be true of all present or past sightings. At what point to the contradictions between what is possible for us and what is not begin to point to something extraordinary? Luckily it would appear that a real investigation is going on and results could be forthcoming soon, let us hope it's not adversary technology and turns out to be ours. One thing is, IMHO, misidentification of conventional aircraft is getting less and less likely as the evidence mounts. https://nypost.com/2018/08/07/hundreds-of-school-kids-who-saw-a-ufo-and-their-story-was-ignored-for-50-years/ https://nypost.com/2018/08/07/hundreds-of-school-kids-who-saw-a-ufo-and-their-story-was-ignored-for-50-years/ There is another sighting that is new and little info is available that I know about as of yet but a triangular craft was seen and photographed leaving the ocean, soaring into the air and up and out of range of the super hornet that was witness to the craft, it was recorded on radar as well. I am investigating this and as soon as I get a link to the info other than a you tube video I will share it. - Congressional UFO Hearing
Important Information
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.