Skip to content

Moontanman

Senior Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Moontanman

  1. The gravity on this planet should be enough to hold onto helium, at least i hope so, if not I'll have to go with a oxygen nitrogen atmosphere like the earth. Humans will be limited to short stays on the surface, weeks, but will have mechanical exoskeletons to help them cope. The atmospheric pressure is equal to 330 feet below the ocean's surface on Earth which is doable but will have to have something to prevent nitrogen narcosis. .
  2. I am setting the stage for a series of short stories set on a large planet with a 10 bar atmosphere and a group of human researchers who live on the planet. I am trying to make the initial set up as accurate as possible. I am also trying to get a reasonable way to include helium in the atmosphere. Yess I did. My planet will rotate in about 36 hours.
  3. No, I am referring to the gravity at the surface, density would vary as the surface gravity differs on each object. The larger object would have less density, I used to have a site I could go to that would calculate these things for me after I plugged in the parameters. If i remember correctly the larger object would have 15.625 times the volume of the earth, the mid sized object would have 8 times the volume of the earth and the smaller one would have 1 times the volume of earth. which would mean the smaller object would have to have 2x the density of earth, the medium sized object would have the same density as earth and the largest object would have less density than earth. I can't remember the mass of the larger object but it seems as though it was someplace close to 12 times the mass of the earth. Thanks for the math but I am afriad it is beyond my limited ability. By vastness I am alluding to the volume and mass of the atmosphere, like how Saturn's moon Titan has a very large atmosphere, deeper than even earth's.
  4. The idea i am referring to is that a small dense object's gravity falls off faster than a large less dense object with the same surface gravity.
  5. I think I'd have to say "with all other things being equal" if that helps.
  6. Does the size vs the density of a planet have an effect on the extensiveness of the atmosphere? More specifically would an earth sized planet with 2x earths gravity have a more or less extensive atmosphere than a planet 2x the size of the earth with 2x the gravity of earth or a planet 2.5 times the size of the earth with 2x the gravity?
  7. Moontanman replied to iNow's topic in Politics
    Any chance Z refers to Zombies?
  8. Is the water green? Looks more like unicellular algae to me.
  9. I think you are correct, he sounds like a consort of Rosie for sure.
  10. Um no, actually this site is pretty good at pointing out when people are wrong as well as confirming when they are correct. You can learn quite a bit by being wrong but you have to own it.
  11. Wait a minute, earlier you implied that christianity was too soft, now you are implying that not having god is a problem. What is your religion? Are you an atheist?
  12. RIP for sure, Nichelle was my first crush as a little boy. She will be missed I am sure!
  13. Some place many years ago i read of such a mirror, not sure how big, but it was proposed to be a spherical mylar balloon, half or more transparent and the rest mirrored. Supposedly at the focal point it would be equivalent to a continuous nuclear explosion.
  14. What if that mile wide mirror was focused on at point on the earth's surface? wouldn't that do some environmental damage?
  15. It is a cephalopod, an octopus, it is not any of the things it mimics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimic_octopus
  16. I guess it will come down to how much we support Ukraine. If Russia uses nukes in Ukraine then the use of nukes has been normalised. I think the west and Russia would come to nuke blows almost immediately, if Russia's nuclear arsenal is as good as it's conventional arsenal the war will be short and a winner will emerge out of the radioactive rubble, Russia will be rebuilt with western money and emerge better than before. Typical modus operandi of the US. The whole destroy us all trope will be tested for sure. Then again maybe it will wait until we get battleships that can fire nuclear tip artillery hundreds of miles.
  17. Let us hope no one will do this.
  18. Yes i agree but using them would be suicidal, I would like to think even Putin is not insane enough to do that.
  19. Recent events in Ukraine would seem to indicate Russian military is a paper Bear with no tail. I'm not sure I can get behind the idea that russia is a threat to anyone but themselves.
  20. Would charge and or rotation change the size of the volume of the event horizon? Would a ring singularity form in a rotating black hole? Could charge expand the radius of the event horizon by electric charge repulsion? Since the electromagnetic force is stronger than gravity could sufficient charge cause a black hole to expand until it had no event horizon?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.