War with Denmark

fiveworlds

Oh, those good old times when wars were declared instead of "military interventions" being undertaken, and where you could see the guy you just stabbed bleed to death live instead of only having a screenshot of it. Sounds like an opportunity for a PR coup for politicians that need attentions: Negotiating a peace treaty between Denmark and whomever they may be at war with.

Edited by timo

Of course we all know that there is only one country in the world whose residents think that everyone on the Internet speaking English is from their country. But one day those arrogant Indians will learn that just because they are the largest English-speaking country in the world, not everyone comes from there >:D

Edited by timo

A link to the information is appropriate in situations like this. http://www.per.gov.ie/launch-of-public-consultation-on-largest-repeal-of-legal-instruments-and-orders-in-irish-history/

The obsolete orders listed (4500+) for removal include:

• Declarations of war against Denmark in 1666 and against France in 1744,
  • An Order from January 1801 setting out the styles, titles and arms of the United Kingdom,
  • A Proclamation of 1817 reserving oatmeal and potatoes for consumption by the “lower orders of people”,
  • A Proclamation of 1690 prohibiting officers and soldiers from engaging in duels
  • A Proclamation of 1661 prohibiting drunkenness, cursing, swearing and profaning on the Lords’ Day,
  • A Proclamation of 1676 which concerned the hearing of claim of persons transplanted to Connaught and Clare,
  • A Proclamation of 1668 offering a pardon and reward for taking dead or alive named rebels who fail to surrender by a designated date,
  • A Proclamation of 1819 directing that all shipping from Boston, New York and Baltimore should be subject to quarantine
  • An Order of 1801 providing for a general fast and thanksgiving in England and Ireland,
  • An Order of 1815 providing that a prayer of thanksgiving be offered for the victory at the Battle of Waterloo,
  • A Proclamation of 1820 declaring the death of George III.
  • Proclamation of 1665 appointing the first Wednesday of every month as a day of fasting & humiliation on account of the bubonic plague in London.
Edited by fiveworlds

What does this even mean? Was there an order to declare war, or was that actually executed, and was war actually declared?

I am not sure what is the topic of this thread. I believe from the link that it is related to pre-independence orders in Ireland, but I am not sure what that means, or what the legal status is of those orders.

On a side note, I am sure that somewhere in Brussels there are some rules that state that it is not allowed for EU members to be at war with each other. At least, that would make sense in my opinion.

Irish legal history not being my strong point I would be guessing - but if this would be dealt with under common law there is no need to repeal old laws most are impliedly repealed by new laws, cases, or constitutional conventions (or in Ireland's case Constitution). I would be also very surprised if there were no later act around independence which drew a line through swathes of legislation enacted by the Parliament/King of England, then of Britain, then of United Kingdom; although in general common law systems don't bother - they just ignore old law.

A war with Denmark is a horrible thought...just think of the loss of bacon.

Bacon is probably why war was being declared in the first place. Before the discovery of oil, bacon would have been a great reason to invade.

A little dyslexia when pulling up your link gave me a great idea for a line of pastries. Who wants a bacon danish made with Danish bacon?

Irish legal history not being my strong point I would be guessing - but if this would be dealt with under common law there is no need to repeal old laws most are impliedly repealed by new laws, cases, or constitutional conventions (or in Ireland's case Constitution). I would be also very surprised if there were no later act around independence which drew a line through swathes of legislation enacted by the Parliament/King of England, then of Britain, then of United Kingdom; although in general common law systems don't bother - they just ignore old law.

Correct http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pre-acts.html

Old laws were repealed however after they had been read through by a number of presumably very bored people. The remainder have yet to be repealed or are to be decided.

Edited by fiveworlds

Of course we all know that there is only one country in the world whose residents think that everyone on the Internet speaking English is from their country. But one day those arrogant Indians will learn that just because they are the largest English-speaking country in the world, not everyone comes from there >:D

Ah! So it was Ireland you were poking fun at. And here I thought you were criticizing Americans for jumping to conclusions. >:D

Not going into details of my cultural prejudices: I am indeed surprised that it is Ireland that declared war on Denmark. I though the Irish were either too polite to declare war on others (if sober) or too busy fighting each other (if not sober) to declare war on Denmark. :P

Edited by timo

... or too busy fighting each other (if not sober) to declare war on Denmark. :P

Indeed, at the risk of sounding xenophobic, Irish people I have met in the United Kingdom seem not to be exactly sober and very willing to get into an argument or a fight. A few years ago I went to an Irish club on Christmas day and yes, the Irish there tried to start a fight with us. If it happens again I will remind them that they are angry with Denmark and not Wales.

Ok, at the risk of sounding serious and on topic, bacon has nothing to do with this thread, as Danish bacon exports of any significance across the North Sea only started in the 19th century.

Instead, this declaration of war is most likely linked to the Second Anglo-Dutch war, in which Denmark fought on the side of the Dutch, while Ireland was ruled by England.

This was already linked to by fiveworlds, but he posted only a link, with no text at all, so I assume that most of you just skipped that post. (fiveworlds, people don't always like to click links here... please just write it down in one or more sentences).