The Essence of Energy

It is better to think of energy as the property of "stuff" that is to do with change and the potential for change. So matter in motion has energy, we have kinertic energy. But there are other systems that also carry energy, like electromagnetic waves, and don't forget we have potential energy like that due to gravity.

Edited by ajb

A coiled spring has energy even when it's not moving.

So does a battery or a dam full or water.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but....for example..a dam full of water that is not being released, a coiled spring that has yet to be sprung a battery that is not in use...are these not all examples, not of energy, but rather of "potential energy"? So, in other words, there might be a psychotic maniac with a gun who has the potential to kill someone but unless they do, they are not a killer. Having legs gives me the potential to move, to set myself in motion, but the potential for motion is not motion...

Correct me if I am mistaken, but....for example..a dam full of water that is not being released, a coiled spring that has yet to be sprung a battery that is not in use...are these not all examples, not of energy, but rather of "potential energy"? So, in other words, there might be a psychotic maniac with a gun who has the potential to kill someone but unless they do, they are not a killer. Having legs gives me the potential to move, to set myself in motion, but the potential for motion is not motion...

Potential energy is still energy.

Correct me if I am mistaken,

As swansont states, potential energy is a form of energy. That is why I said, informally, energy is the propery of stuff to do with change (including movement) or the potential for change.

The term "energy" is used to refer to different forms of work done or to be done (within a state of matter). Each form is distinctly defined and has its own sets of laws, such a thermodynamics. However the term is really applied when these laws interact with each other. Like when kinetic energy has friction the result will be heat.......The transition is the essence i suppose.

Everything could potentially said to be "in motion", even a spring on earth is spinning on its own axis around the sun, it also has alot of electrical activity within its atoms, whether these are forms of "motion" has no bearing on each form of energy.

The unifying feature of energy is that they act upon one another to create a force, which by definition relates to motion. So to some extent you are correct (though personally i'd say the essence is the relationship between the different forms).

Edited by DevilSolution

• 3 weeks later...

Per E=mc2, energy is also found in matter itself.

From Einstein Relatively Simple:

"Consider a matter particle such as an electron, which has a certain amount of mass. According to Einstein, this mass is a form of energy. How much energy? Measure the mass of the particle and multiply it times the speed of light squared. The calculated energy is called the particle’s rest energy."

Edited by IM Egdall

Energy is the ability to do work. Ability is nothing but a qualification and hence a functional entity. It has no form, structure or real existence. All functional entities exist in beholder's mind. They have no physical existence. Question arises; energy is ability of 'what' to do work?. To answer this question, there has to be an undefined entity that does work (on or about a matter-body). Then, energy can be defined as the stress produced in that entity, due to the work-done. Currently, energy is measured in terms of work-done on or about a matter-body. The work may be in any form like; motion, pressure, tension, etc. However, energy being the stress in the undefined entity, it cannot be equated to these actions. Energy is present wherever and whenever work is done. Work seems to be the real entity and energy its shadow.

Nainan

All functional entities exist in beholder's mind.

Is this your own theory?

'functional' has a particular well defined meaning in maths and mathematical physics.

Neither time (your other post) nor energy meet this definition.