User Reputation System

No, I was just trying to understand what you meant here;

I don't like the fact that having only one point a day often causes members to make judgements that seem juxtaposed to the rep system's intent.

I've spoken with some members that tell me they'll come across a post they feel deserves negative rep, usually for insulting behavior, but they know they only have one point and may come across something worse later in the day, so they hold back. It keeps them from using the negative side of the system for what it was intended, to show other members that a post exhibited poor rationale or judgement that reflects on the user overall.

The current negative rep system is more of a quantitative approach rather than a qualitative one. To me, the whole system is supposed to nudge people in the right direction by peer pressure rather than staff intervention, which I feel is far more effective in the long run.

I wouldn't change the system by much. I'd recommend allowing two negative rep points per day. It would be fairly easy then to see if it caused more abuse or made the system more effective. I certainly wouldn't want it to be accessible for this purpose:

How can I get a listing of which post and who gave us a + or - ??

I've spoken with some members that tell me they'll come across a post they feel deserves negative rep, usually for insulting behavior, but they know they only have one point and may come across something worse later in the day, so they hold back. It keeps them from using the negative side of the system for what it was intended, to show other members that a post exhibited poor rationale or judgement that reflects on the user overall.

The current negative rep system is more of a quantitative approach rather than a qualitative one. To me, the whole system is supposed to nudge people in the right direction by peer pressure rather than staff intervention, which I feel is far more effective in the long run.

I wouldn't change the system by much. I'd recommend allowing two negative rep points per day. It would be fairly easy then to see if it caused more abuse or made the system more effective. I certainly wouldn't want it to be accessible for this purpose:

1 per day? really? I had no idea there was a limit at all. Should be more than that :x

I didn't even realise positive rep points had a limit. You must really enjoy handing them out. :P

yes i do enjoy giving out pos rep, I like to encourage people, neg rep is not something I enjoy but sometimes after giving evidence of what ever someone is asserting is wrong gets tiring to do over and over and over neg rep is a good way to show it and let off a little bit of steam in the process. I know that when i get neg rep it gets my attention quickly, I look carefully at the post I got neg rep on to see what I did wrong, i take neg rep far more seriously than pos rep.

I vote for three a day... oops I forgot this is not a democracy :unsure:

Possibly only people with a certain minimum positive reputation should get extra neg reps to hand out?

Edited by Moontanman

I agree with Ophiolite, a listing on which posts we have recieved positive or negative votes on would be nice.

But we should not be able to see who made those votes, it would only cause trouble and unfair revenges.

I agree with Ophiolite, a listing on which posts we have recieved positive or negative votes on would be nice.

But we should not be able to see who made those votes, it would only cause trouble and unfair revenges.

Yes. I do want to be clear that I don't want to know who cast either positive or negative votes, as it would tend to influence my own actions.

I like the idea of negative votes being scaled against the number of postives given, but suspect it might be difficult to implement. It might also be good to bar more than one negative vote against the same post from the same person on succeeding days. I believe I was the victim of this on one occassion.

And while we are on this subject I object to those 'wits' who have misdirections encouraging members to give them positive rep. This practice should be banned, especially when implemented by staff. You know who you are!!!!

And while we are on this subject I object to those 'wits' who have misdirections encouraging members to give them positive rep. This practice should be banned, especially when implemented by staff. You know who you are!!!!

You know, I started the "wit" misdirection trend to poke fun at those who were just openly asking for positive rep, and I can see your point. It honestly never occurred to me that anyone would take it seriously on a site with so many intelligent people.

Sorry you were fooled, Ophiolite, but thanks for the rep points! :P

I am removing mine, though. When you're right, you're right.

It might also be good to bar more than one negative vote against the same post from the same person on succeeding days. I believe I was the victim of this on one occassion.

It looks to me as if once I vote either way for a post I am barred from voting on that post ever again.

I would like to join with some of the others in saying this:-

If I go to my profile and notice a change in my points it would be nice to easily find which post caused the change. It would just be nice to see what had pleased or offended someone. The "name" of the person would not matter.

It looks to me as if once I vote either way for a post I am barred from voting on that post ever again.

That seems logical. I've never tried to vote again later, either positive or negative. Certianly you are barred from doing it immediately. My interpretation of some events a few months back may be faulty.

Yes, everyone would be derailing the discussion and abusing those who gave negative.

But, it can be highly insightful for some to know who agree with them and who not.

Yes, everyone would be derailing the discussion and abusing those who gave negative.

But, it can be highly insightful for some to know who agree with them and who not.

But then you could feel too guilty to vote negative on a bad post that person makes later on, at least I would...

I agree with this one too, I have refrained from voting positive because I was discouraged by the member's begging for rep in their signature.

Edited by Spyman

I have seen in some circumstances a post getting neg point, then getting pos. (result null) then getting more pos. (result +2) then getting neg. again, the result of the fight being null. It would be very interesting to keep all the vote history, and not only the result. For example "this post got 3 neg. and 3 pos." instead of "0".

Edited by michel123456

I have seen in some circumstances a post getting neg point, then getting pos. (result null) then getting more pos. (result +2) then getting neg. again, the result of the fight being null. It would be very interesting to keep all the vote history, and not only the result. For example "this post got 3 neg. and 3 pos." instead of "0".

That is an interesting suggestion. I have given positive rep to posts, not because I felt they deserved it, but to counter negative rep that they certainly didn't merit.

Yes, that would be nice, but it could also be showed with votes made, like in the example Rep:0 Votes:6 or maybe 0(6).

Edited by Spyman

There are two separate issues here:

1. Finding out which of your own posts got rep

2. Finding out who gave you that rep

We should not confuse these three matters, and we should evaluate these as two separate issues.

Personally (so, speaking as a member, not staff) I agree with the position of several others here: it would be useful to see which posts received the rep, both positive and negative. With such knowledge, it becomes easier to focus on your own strengths and weaknesses...

It is only useful to find out who gave you the rep, if you know that member a little better. So, it's pointless for new members, but possibly useful for people who have been around for a while.

If we would have names with the rep, then I propose that we also allow the rep-comments again, like we had a few years ago.

However, in my opinion (as a member), point 1. seems more important at the moment.

Just my 3 cents.

There are two separate issues here:

1. Finding out which of your own posts got rep

2. Finding out who gave you that rep

Actually with Moontanman's and Michel's suggestions we have four issues.

The other two are:

3. The most suitable limit of negative votes each day

4. The possibility to view how many votes made on any post

I use the rep system quite a bit and I do feel that it would be useful to see where/why rep had been administered, a notification maybe?

I also feel that perhaps you should be able to see on your profile a breakdown of rep received rather than just a total (for example: If you have rep + 10, it could be made up of 40+'s and 30-'s)

I am also one of the people who will hold on to my neg vote for the day just in case and have sometimes used it and then seen a far worse post which then gets forgotten.

I would also like the ability to change my vote, I have often tried to click + (or even the reply button) and hit - by mistake. Like editing posts this could be timed to avoid misuse maybe?

I would also like the ability to change my vote, I have often tried to click + (or even the reply button) and hit - by mistake. Like editing posts this could be timed to avoid misuse maybe?

I have already made a different thread for that problem in Suggestions, Comments and Support:

Changeable Votes of Reputation For a short duration after voting

Edited by Spyman

I use the rep system quite a bit and I do feel that it would be useful to see where/why rep had been administered, a notification maybe?

The notification may be possible. I seem to recall getting messages via the notification system on reputation changes when we first switched to the new software. I can't remember if the link took you to the post in question or not, but I think it did. Perhaps this got switched off somehow.

The notification may be possible. I seem to recall getting messages via the notification system on reputation changes when we first switched to the new software. I can't remember if the link took you to the post in question or not, but I think it did. Perhaps this got switched off somehow.

I'm pretty sure the old system notified but the new one does not.