What do you think of the idea of a science-themed theme park?

Code42

This is an idea I've thought about for some time. I, for one, love theme parks, and I've always wanted there to be one that is fully science-based. It's fun to sit and dream up all the possible ideas one could put into some kind of attraction of this sort. I'm talking about the idea (hypothetical of course) of building a major theme/amusement park that is fully based on true representations of science (not science fiction or pseudoscience). This park would contain a myriad of thrill rides and the like, but would also contain mini museum-esque attractions, shows, activities, etc. All attractions would be centered around factual representations of true science, and would be presented in such a way as to inspire children and adults alike to explore and understand science. It would essentially be the antithesis of Ken Ham's Ark Encounter park. Of course, for this idea I'm taking some inspiration from some more minor attractions that are science-based such as the rocket museum in Hunstville, Alabama which contains science and engineering-based attractions with some fun rides and attractions. But this one would be completely a theme park of Disney and Universal proportions. There would be an area of the park that, for instance, would deal with biology, geology, paleontology, and evolution, another area about physics/quantum theory/relativity, another area about astronomy and space exploration, another area about technology/computer science/AI, another area about climate science, and then perhaps a "future" world that deals with speculation about the future, etc.

Of course this will never happen, but I find this idea fun to conspire on and dream up ideas. I thought it would be fun to run it past the guys here and see what you think/what ideas you might concoct.

Edited by Code42

What do you mean by science based? What would be an example?

Really, all theme parks are science based in that they are run by electricity with some impressive demonstration of spin, momentum, velocity etc. I struggle to see what beyond that could be science based, as it would qlmost certainly be based on some lighting and digital effects, which we already see in theme parks.

What do you mean by science based? What would be an example?

Really, all theme parks are science based in that they are run by electricity with some impressive demonstration of spin, momentum, velocity etc. I struggle to see what beyond that could be science based, as it would qlmost certainly be based on some lighting and digital effects, which we already see in theme parks.

Meaning that it would teach science, promote the learning of science, and ultimately strive to inspire it's guests to be interested in science. Not just inspiring interest in what science can do, but interest in the foundations of science, like free-inquiry, skepticism, evidence-based thinking, epistemology, etc. Edited by Code42

Teach how?

English is not my first language so forgive me if I am misunderstanding something, but to my knowledge, a theme park is a themed entertainment ride, such as rollercoasters, wheels, haunted houses etc. Is that correct?

If so, I don't see how they could actually teach science. That is something done in school, via documentaries etc. Some one-time science trip presentations for schools could be a good idea, but that's far from what you are suggesting, I guess.

Edited by Lord Antares

Teach how?

English is not my first language so forgive me if I am misunderstanding something, but to my knowledge, a theme park is a themed entertainment ride, such as rollercoasters, wheels, haunted houses etc. Is that correct?

If so, I don't see how they could actually teach science. That is something done in school, via documentaries etc. Some one-time science trip presentations for schools could be a good idea, but that's far from what you are suggesting, I guess.

It wouldn't "teach" in the sense of the word that you are invoking, as in college lectures and PhD dissertations. Obviously that would be an impossible waste of time of a project. Rather, it would simply be a theme park that is science-themed, wherein the attractions are based on accurate representations of scientific knowledge and are designed to promote and inspire the learning and passion for science and science-based thinking. Obviously, it couldn't possibly be perfect, but at least it would be a great attraction for children and adults alike to have fun and be inspired at the same time. It is really hard to communicate science to the general population. Many movies and theme parks, and other forms of family entertainment only focus on science fiction and depictions of science that are purely fantasy. I've always thought having a theme park that is grounded in real science would be both a fun and educational place for American families. Keep in mind, I am visualizing how utterly unscientific and oblivious to science-based thinking most Americans are. I just think it's time science entered the world of entertainment and tried to offer something fun and awe-inspiring that also was aimed at teaching real science to the broad public.

But like I said, this will never happen. It's purely hypothetical. But I am speaking about it in this thread as if I am planning to carry this out. It has been a fun little idea I've been tossing around in my mind for several years now. I've never really asked people for their opinions on this idea, so I'd like to see what the guys here thought. I understand (sort of) why you may not get about this idea, but I felt I had explained it pretty well in my original post. I would like not to get bogged down in the stuff you're talking about. I'd like to keep this thread mostly lighthearted and casual. But I would also encourage commenters to offer serious and honest answers. I would love to hear some of your ideas.

Edited by Code42

It wouldn't "teach" in the sense of the word that you are invoking, as in college lectures and PhD dissertations. Obviously that would be an impossible waste of time of a project. Rather, it would simply be a theme park that is science-themed, wherein the attractions are based on accurate representations of scientific knowledge and are designed to promote and inspire the learning and passion for science and science-based thinking. Obviously, it couldn't possibly be perfect, but at least it would be a great attraction for children and adults alike to have fun and be inspired at the same time. It is really hard to communicate science to the general population. Many movies and theme parks, and other forms of family entertainment only focus on science fiction and depictions of science that are purely fantasy. I've always thought having a theme park that is grounded in real science would be both a fun and educational place for American families. Keep in mind, I am visualizing how utterly unscientific and oblivious to science-based thinking most Americans are. I just think it's time science entered the world of entertainment and tried to offer something fun and awe-inspiring that also was aimed at teaching real science to the broad public.

But like I said, this will never happen. It's purely hypothetical. But I am speaking about it in this thread as if I am planning to carry this out. It has been a fun little idea I've been tossing around in my mind for several years now. I've never really asked people for their opinions on this idea, so I'd like to see what the guys here thought. I understand (sort of) why you may not get about this idea, but I felt I had explained it pretty well in my original post. I would like not to get bogged down in the stuff you're talking about. I'd like to keep this thread mostly lighthearted and casual. But I would also encourage commenters to offer serious and honest answers. I would love to hear some of your ideas.

How about a room devoted to wireless electricity.

Or a room for static electricity games.

Things like that.

It wouldn't "teach" in the sense of the word that you are invoking, as in college lectures and PhD dissertations. Obviously that would be an impossible waste of time of a project. Rather, it would simply be a theme park that is science-themed, wherein the attractions are based on accurate representations of scientific knowledge and are designed to promote and inspire the learning and passion for science and science-based thinking.

But how? How would you represent the forces of an atom? Or the laws of thermodynamics? Or gravity? Or calculus? These are the things science is about.

I can only see it working for biology. Maybe an evolution themed park ride. Now that I think of it, that would look good if pulled off right. You ride on a rollercoaster and as you progress, so does the scenery evolve from primitive to homo sapiens and other modern animals. I could see that working.

But I hope you realize this is not something that can be done for other sciences like physics, chemistry or especially mathematics as they are based on ideas, calculations and experiments, rather than anything visible per se.

So far, I like it for biology.

Edited by Lord Antares

I love the idea. Here in St. Louis we have a Science Center that is similar to what you are describing, but without all the rides. There are many interactive features that let you try out science for yourself. For example, in one location there are dozens of soft blocks laying around where spontaneous groups of visitors can work together to build free standing arches. An enclosed bridge over a nearby highway lets people use radar guns with the cars below and learn about that technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Louis_Science_Center

Another local place is called the Magic House which includes hundreds of hands-on exhibits and games introducing children to science and learning.

https://www.magichouse.org/exhibits/

Edited by zapatos

I love the idea. Here in St. Louis we have a Science Center that is similar to what you are describing, but without all the rides. There are many interactive features that let you try out science for yourself. For example, in one location there are dozens of soft blocks laying around where spontaneous groups of visitors can work together to build free standing arches. An enclosed bridge over a nearby highway lets people use radar guns with the cars below and learn about that technology.

Another local place is called the Magic House which includes hundreds of hands-on exhibits and games introducing children to science and learning.

Yeah, you've got the idea. I'm talking about building a huge version of that, comparable to Disney World or Universal Studios. I'm talking something huge. I personally think it would be very cool. Some people might think that it's silly, or that it might perhaps go against science in someway. But I think it would be cool to Propose it as a kind of educational adventure that is also loads of fun, like a museum meets an amusement park. It would be more of a concept park, but I think if done right it could be cool. It would be littered with little Easter eggs throughout the park, like choice quotes from famous scientists, and there would be a heavy emphasis on promoting actual science instead of science fiction and fantasy. I think it could definitely be cool. There could also be a "science camp" thing for both kids and adults.

The one I grew up with was Liberty Science Center.

The one I grew up with was Liberty Science Center.

Nice. Very similar to what we have here. I remember going when I was a kid, then as a teenager discovering the laser light shows on the ceiling of the planetarium at about the same time I discovered recreational drugs, then completing the cycle by bringing my children. Sans drugs of course. Fond memories.

Edited by zapatos

What I'm proposing is essentially one huge science center like those mentioned, but it's a full-blown theme park with thrilling rollercoasters and other high-end rides. It would just be one totally cool, pro-science, pro-science literacy park. Like I said, it would be the antithesis of Ken Ham's ridiculously stupid Ark Park.

One roller coaster name could be "The Large Hadron Collider", and there could be an attraction that has guests competing at Mars rover driving, and there could be a ride that takes guests on a journey through the "March of Progress" that shows the evolution of life on Earth etc. with life-like sets and animatronics. Every attraction could ask kids some very thought-provoking questions at the end and give them something to think about as they leave. The gift shops could sell telescopes, chemistry sets, astronomy kits, crystal-making kits, science books for both children and adults, and all sorts of cool stuff. There could be an attraction similar to Disney's "Carousel of Progress" that takes guests on a journey through the history of science, highlighting the most important scientists in history from Galileo to Newton to Darwin to Einstein etc... I know personally that I, as a visitor, would want to be spend all my time there. It would be a super cool place.

Also, like I said before, it could have a "science camp" similar to "space camp" where kids and adults alike could come spend a week or so and do fun sciencey stuff.

Surely I'm not the only one visualizing a museum with go-karts and fried dough.

Visualize something more like a science-themed Universal Studios. Very large-scale and big budget. Like Jurassic Park/World, but with real stuff.

But how? How would you represent the forces of an atom? Or the laws of thermodynamics? Or gravity? Or calculus? These are the things science is about.

I can only see it working for biology. Maybe an evolution themed park ride. Now that I think of it, that would look good if pulled off right. You ride on a rollercoaster and as you progress, so does the scenery evolve from primitive to homo sapiens and other modern animals. I could see that working.

But I hope you realize this is not something that can be done for other sciences like physics, chemistry or especially mathematics as they are based on ideas, calculations and experiments, rather than anything visible per se.

So far, I like it for biology.

You're over-thinking it. Of course you could never simulate those things accurately. That's not what I'm suggesting. What I'm saying is that there would be rides that are science-themed and contain scientifically-accurate information. Of course you could have rides for physics and other sciences. You don't have to literally simulate the "forces of an atom" in order to have a thrilling ride that contains accurate information about it. Edited by Code42

Unless you have an actual .Jurassic Park with real dinos made from dino-DNA, you fundamentally misunderstand your key demographic and the business case isn't there. You'd never recoup the front-end capital investment required to execute.

Unless you have an actual .Jurassic Park with real dinos made from dino-DNA, you fundamentally misunderstand your key demographic and the business case isn't there. You'd never recoup the front-end capital investment required to execute.

Apparently I do misunderstand my key demographic. Who are you suggesting they would be? And why would I not be appealing to them?

Apparently I do misunderstand my key demographic. Who are you suggesting they would be? And why would I not be appealing to them?

Children.

In majority children of intellectual parents, who have vision about mental development of their offspring.

For the same reason why family goes to zoo, to see wild animals. Lonely adults are minority.

Children visiting museum usually pay nothing in preschool age (when they're the most interested in learning about world), and half the price in school age.

In my city, the closest thing we have to a science theme park is the Franklin Institute. From my youth, I recall multiple hands-on science exhibits, a planetarium, a walk-thru heart, and even a ride through our digestive system. It was always and continues to be a thrilling visit for both children and adults.

There's a place here in Austin called the Thinkery which is close to this and we're members and take ours there regularly.

https://thinkeryaustin.org/

We're also about to move to the midwest and I plan to checkout the Science Center of Iowa quite soon: http://www.sciowa.org/

Should I one day find myself in Austin, I will most certainly make a visit there a priority.

It's probably a stupid idea, but I still find it fun to think up cool new ideas for It.

I'm not talking about merely a science center like you guys are talking about. I'm talking about a full-blown theme park. Something that would attract the intellectual and non-intellectual alike. It could potentially he get laypeople interested in science.

Edited by Code42

In my city, the closest thing we have to a science theme park is the Franklin Institute. From my youth, I recall multiple hands-on science exhibits, a planetarium, a walk-thru heart, and even a ride through our digestive system. It was always and continues to be a thrilling visit for both children and adults.

I went there, I think it was last summer, to see a Pixar exhibit they were showing. Neat place.

It could potential he get laypeople interested in science.

I highly doubt that. A science center does a much better job at that than a theme park. At science centers, you may actually learn something. A theme park is there for the entertainment and flashy effects.

What might happen is people would get hooked on the Tesla coils, gravity rollercoasters or whatever and would soon lose interest when they find out what level of mathematics and devotion it requires. A science center is a better indication of that and one is more likely to stick to science after showing affection for it in a science center than in a theme park.