Human-made barrier surrounding earth

Lord Antares

http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-space-probes-have-detected-a-human-made-barrier-shrouding-earth

According to this NASA research, we have built up a shield surrounding earth which alters the properties of space surrounding earth - one of the features being we are shielded from some forms of radiation.

This would, in theory, make it possible for someone else to detect artificial changes to space, indicating life.

Edited by Lord Antares

http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-space-probes-have-detected-a-human-made-barrier-shrouding-earth

According to this NASA research, we have built up a shield surrounding earth which alter the properties of space surrounding earth - one of the features being we are shielded from some forms of radiation.

This would, in theory, make it possible for someone else to detect artificial changes to space, indicating life.

Unless, of course, other lifeforms decide not to e.g. detonate nuclear weapons at high altitudes ;).

I don't think so it would seem like a minor change over time nothing big.

I don't understand what you mean, can you clarify?

It has been happening slowly over time but we have only now detected it.

Unless, of course, other lifeforms decide not to e.g. detonate nuclear weapons at high altitudes ;).

If this is a joke, it went over my head.

I don't understand what you mean, can you clarify?

It has been happening slowly over time but we have only now detected it.

Looking into space is an enormous amount of data. We can't process all the data we make I will assume aliens can but the change has been small changes over the course of years to be noticed they would literally have to be looking for us like we noticed that weird star and are looking at it all the time otherwise AI algorithms probably won't pick up on the small changes or will attribute it to natural phenomena. How do they distinguish between our atmosphere getting hit by rocks when they are not looking and a man-made change.

Edited by fiveworlds

Looking into space is an enormous amount of data. We can't process all the data we make I will assume aliens can but the change has been small changes over the course of years to be noticed they would literally have to be looking for us like we noticed that weird star and are looking at it all the time otherwise AI algorithms probably won't pick up on the small changes or will attribute it to natural phenomena. How do they distinguish between our atmosphere getting hit by rocks when they are not looking and a man-made change.

So the fact that we gather a huge amount of data from observations of space and we have used minute changes in that data to find exoplanets and other odd phenomena means that aliens can't do that? Are you drunk?

We can't process all the data we make I will assume aliens can but the change has been small changes over the course of years to be noticed they would literally have to be looking for us like we noticed that weird star and are looking at it all the time

????

What difference does it make if they are small changes over time or instant? If they look at it and see it, they will notice it, regardless of when they looked. To them, it could they have been an instant change for all they care. It doesn't matter which it is as the fact that there is an unnatural field will mean something to them, i.e. that there are indications of life on Earth.

Not reading anything about the sun being a source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_low_frequency

We can indirectly detect solar activity via our own VLF transmissions though.

I don't know if the military is going to keep using them to the same extent, but maybe a civilization would look to them for other reasons(radiation shield being a fav).

Edited by Endy0816

I doubt if aliens looking our way from extreme distances would be able to discern such a subtle change to our Van Allen belt, or work out what it meant.

Does the Van Allen belt actually affect anything that leaves the Earth? After all, we can't detect anything that leaves any exo planets.

The only reason we know that they are there is that they block some of the star's light, or give it a wobble.

And this is a huge difference locally, not a nearly imperceptible one.

But on another tack, I wonder if they could use VLF transmissions to protect against solar flares?

I doubt if aliens looking our way from extreme distances would be able to discern such a subtle change to our Van Allen belt, or work out what it meant.

Why do you doubt that? Because we don't have the technology for that means nothing to other possible civilizations.

If you assume that there is alien life, then you should assume that there's heaps of it from all around the universe. Chances are reasonable that some might look our way and be able to discern signs of life from what they would identify as an unnatural field.

Not reading anything about the sun being a source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_low_frequency

We can indirectly detect solar activity via our own VLF transmissions though.

I don't know if the military is going to keep using them to the same extent, but maybe a civilization would look to them for other reasons(radiation shield being a fav).

Anything warmer than very cold indeed should emit VLF radio signals.

The Sun is more than hot enough (by about a dozen orders of magnitude)

Anything warmer than very cold indeed should emit VLF radio signals.

The Sun is more than hot enough (by about a dozen orders of magnitude)

Only natural source I've ever read about is lightning.

Maybe its there and just not getting to us? I really don't know though and Google is only turning up results having to do with indirectly using it to track solar activity.

Why do you doubt that? Because we don't have the technology for that means nothing to other possible civilizations.

If you assume that there is alien life, then you should assume that there's heaps of it from all around the universe. Chances are reasonable that some might look our way and be able to discern signs of life from what they would identify as an unnatural field.

How would you detect that field? From a long way off, the Earth is very close to the Sun. And Mercury. And Venus. And Jupiter and Mars etc. There's a lot of random stuff coming from our direction.

You would have to ask an astronomer working in the field of exo-planets how you would go about detecting something so weak at such a distance. But that's why I doubt it. It's very low energy, at a huge distance, with lots of noise coming from close by.

It might be so small and indistinct that it's impossible to detect from the nearest exo-planet. Let alone the more distant ones. No matter what level of technology you have.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.