I decided to take my first IQ test ever

Tom O'Neil

I reckon he won it fair and square... whilst making all of the moves for the GMs he was fully immersed in the game and probably got some good ideas which he tried out on the poor guy who was lowest rating. I have played my best games after watching some vids of classic games between top players from the past..... better when it is fresh in my head - leave it some time and I forget what I have picked up or loose confidence and start loosing again. Bobby Fisher and Tal are players to watch (for me at my level anyway - probably outdated now).

- edit - posted same time as LA... Yes, OK, so the guy was the weakest player - I still reckon that he had an advantage by watching the GMs play each other.

Edited by DrP

It is impossible that he won just by using the same openings. It can't be. OK, you made me look it up, I'm going to do it now.

Yes, you are correct. It was a long time ago. The one he won against was actually a weak player and he played a genuine game of chess against him, so that's how he managed an above 50% score.

https://youtu.be/rIAXIubSTkc?t=7m27s

Here's the explanation, starting from the timestamp.

EDIT: Crosspost with the two of you. So that has been resolved :D

Edited by Lord Antares

Not sure what you mean by this, but everyone can technically do it.

Even someone who doesn't know the rules of chess

The obvious way to do it is to play white against one and black against the other + copy the other player's move.

However, I suspect that a Grandmaster might refuse to play under those conditions; a computer wouldn't.

He seems to have suspiciously lost interest after I challenged him.

( all bets to be PAYPALled to Science Forums and donated to charity )

I prefer that the bets be donated to the winner ;)

I just logged in my 7 year old chess.com account to check out his profile.

His current blitz rating is 884 and rapid rating 1223. ROFL.

Now why would you state that your chess rating is 1700 and then link to your chess.com profile where everyone can verify that it, in fact, isn't? What was your thought process when you did this, Tom?

Hey MigL, bet large.

!

Moderator Note

Following from my last post.

The behaviour of members in this thread is embarrassing. Regardless of self-aggrandising nature of the OP (warranted or otherwise), the subsequent posts by people here abusing his intelligence and ganging up on him are absolutely not acceptable. I am honestly at a loss at the fact that I have to tell grown adults not to bully other grown adults, but I guess that's the position I'm in.

This thread is to remain closed. Discussions about chess and IQ may be found in other currently active threads on this forum. Please refer to those if you wish to continue what little discussion actually occurred in this thread.