Would anyone trust Windows to run a gas boiler?

studiot

I should probably point out that this isn't exactly speculation. Before I went to college, I built, tested, operated, and maintained nuclear reactors and associated primary and secondary equipment. I kinda know what I'm talking about.

I haven't questioned your credentials, just asked if there was a capacitor inside that stored enough power to trigger any mechanisms for safety. I was mainly talking about closing off the gas supply to the chamber as i guess it would eventually leak.

I'm trying to remember how the sparky's at work wire up the boilers but i havent really looked, if the current stops then i guess the boiler has a little capacitor with enough power to switch the locks?

It would be an odd design that relied on that.

They usually use a solenoid valve that's is opened by an electric current, but closed by a spring.

that way, if there's a power failure, or the cable is cut or whatever, the gas is switched off.

It's called failsafe.

If you are really feeling paranoid, you out two valves in series.

But, of course, that makes the system more complex- see my earlier post.

Would I trust Windows to run a boiler ? Certainly.

I'd be more worried about the hardware than the software.

Wouldn't want components to fail, so I'd use very low power components like a Baytrail Atom processor that'll work with passive cooling, and certainly no spinning disks.

But isn't Windows overkill ?

A clean install of 10 takes up 30 GB of disk space ( Win 95 took about 100 MB ). Most software problems are software compatibility issues, but if the system is used solely for controlling the boiler, there won't be a problem. I certainly wouldn't suggest loading Flash ( or other problematic software ) and watching on-line video/animations on the same computer.

As for power failures, equipment is designed for fail-safe operation. So valves would fail open or closed depending on which minimised harm.

( no I don't work with nuclear power, but Phosphine is pretty nasty stuff )

Edited by MigL