Posting a table

Should only need to change the last table tag to [/ta] and then place it all on a single line(pasting into and copying from the search bar should take care of this).

Thank you endy for being the only one interested to help, +1, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

I can certainly see why no one bothers to post tables, it is far to difficult.

It is just sad that I am not the real sufferer, because I can see what I want in my mind's eye.

I just cannot communicate it to those who would like to know.

Edited by studiot

Thank you endy for being the only one interested to help, +1, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

I can certainly see why no one bothers to post tables, it is far to difficult.

It is just sad that I am not the real sufferer, because I can see what I want in my mind's eye.

I just cannot communicate it to those who would like to know.

This:

post-100882-0-19221100-1424187457.png

generates this:

[table]

abc

ABC

[/ta]

But it looks like bug- different opening tag, than closing tag.. ?!

tr is shortcut from table-row.

td is shortcut from table-data.

Both are inherited from HTML tag names.

There is also th - table header/heading with bold text. But doesn't seem to work as expected either.

Edited by Sensei

Thank you Sensei for providing that background +1

It is no reflection on you personally, but a sad statement of 'progress' that I would expect an 8 year old with a paper and pencil to be able to draw a better table than that.

I certainly could at that age.

In Word or Frontpage I can make a simple table that where I can make the rows and columns of sensible size for the job, with or without separating lines, and then type the data into the spaces.

I particularly wanted to use this site's excellent superscript facility to display a table of quantities and their dimensions for a dimensional analysis in another thread so I might try your suggestions.

That was one drawback to endy's link (and also Word/Frontpage) - the table generator doe not allow this.

It is no reflection on you personally, but a sad statement of 'progress' that I would expect an 8 year old with a paper and pencil to be able to draw a better table than that.

I certainly could at that age.

I have no influence how this forum table looks like.

For instance raw HTML code:

post-100882-0-85702100-1424193037.png

Will show this:

post-100882-0-61171600-1424192757.png

You can make such file and call it index.html on disk, and open in web browser.

Then add parameter border

post-100882-0-77828200-1424193042.png

And there will be border around each row and cell of table.

How it looks like in forum, is up to programmers of forum..

Tables are used extensively on the main page and the styling for them is what is likely causing the visual issues. Honestly, I wasn't expecting that at all, tables are rarely used these days and never for layout.

and yes, the Parser is also wonky. Place all your code on one line and that will keep that giant block of white space from appearing. It seems to not even like vaguely acknowledging the alignment data. And no, I've never seen the 'ta' bbcode tag for tables anywhere ever before here.

It might be an idea to look at moving the forum content to another platform(keeping the same site and everything). Most of issues would be relatively easy to correct, but it would really be better to start fresh.

It might be an idea to look at moving the forum content to another platform(keeping the same site and everything). Most of issues would be relatively easy to correct, but it would really be better to start fresh.

I can think of another tech forum that has lost many long standing members because it wasted a lot of money trading 'up' and moving from Vbulletin to XenForo.

[math]\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}{{\bf{Acceleration}}} \hfill & {{\bf{L}}{{\bf{T}}^{{\bf{ - 2}}}}} \hfill \\{{\bf{Force}}} \hfill & {{\bf{ML}}{{\bf{T}}^{{\bf{ - 2}}}}} \hfill \\ {{\bf{Energy }}} \hfill & {{\bf{M}}{{\bf{L}}^{\bf{2}}}{{\bf{T}}^{{\bf{ - 2}}}}} \hfill \\ {{\bf{Pressure}}} \hfill & {{\bf{ M}}{{\bf{L}}^{{\bf{ - 1}}}}{{\bf{T}}^{{\bf{ - 2}}}}} \hfill \\{{\bf{Velocity}}} \hfill & {{\bf{L}}{{\bf{T}}^{{\bf{ - 1}}}}} \hfill \\ {{{\left( {{\bf{Velocity}}} \right)}^{\bf{2}}}} \hfill & {{{\bf{L}}^{\bf{2}}}{{\bf{T}}^{{\bf{ - 2}}}}} \hfill \\ {{\bf{Head}}} \hfill & {\bf{L}} \hfill \\\end{array}{\rm{ }}[/math]

Yippee, I'm getting there.

Now all I need is a way to see the code in a few weeks time, ie the next time I want to do a table.

Edit I just discovered that if you click on the above table the image overlay opens and includes the code.

Someone really ought to write a help section for the forum, explaining the functions, 'cause some are really cool.

Edited by studiot

<snipped away>

Edit I just discovered that if you click on the above table the image overlay opens and includes the code.

Someone really ought to write a help section for the forum, explaining the functions, 'cause some are really cool.

Regarding the overlay feature

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/3751-quick-latex-tutorial/?p=53785#entry53785

There are tutorials for latex and for quoting, and guidelines for posting in general and in speculations

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/3751-quick-latex-tutorial/

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/82164-the-quote-function-a-tutorial-in-several-parts/

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/86720-guidelines-for-participating-in-speculations-discussions/

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/7813-science-forums-etiquette/

[mp][/mp]

It doesn't help us when we "upgrade" and lose lots of functionality. It was due to the last major upgrade that I felt a quote tutorial was necessary

Thank's imatfaal, that's now created a bookmark trail for some useful other threads.

Others may also find these useful.

However I didn't see anything about the subject of this thread, posting a table.

test

[math]{\rm{Head}} = \frac{{{\rm{Energy}}}}{{{\rm{Force}}}}{\rm{ = }}\frac{{{\rm{Energy}}}}{{{\rm{Weight}}}}{\rm{ = }}\frac{{{\rm{Pressure x Volume}}}}{{{\rm{Force}}}} = \frac{{{{\left( {{\rm{Velocity}}} \right)}^{\rm{2}}}}}{{{\rm{Acceleration}}}}{\rm{ = }}\frac{{{\rm{PressurexVolume}}}}{{{\rm{MassxAcceleration}}}}{\rm{ = }}\left\{ {\frac{{{\rm{Pressure}}}}{{{\rm{acceleration}}}}{\rm{x}}\frac{{\rm{1}}}{{{\rm{density}}}}} \right\} = {\rm{Length}}[/math]

Edited by studiot

[latex]Head = \frac{Energy}{Force} = \frac{Energy}{Weight} = \frac{Pressure \cdot Volume}{Force} = \frac{Velocity^2}{Acceleration} = \frac{ Pressure \cdot Volume }{Mass \cdot Acceleration} = \frac{Pressure}{Acceration} \cdot \frac{1}{density}=Length[/latex]

Different font from your version above - but a lot less work

Merged post follows:

[/mp]

[latex]\begin{matrix}Acceration & [LT^{-2}] \\Force & [MLT^{-2}] \\Energy & [ML^2T^{-2}] \end{matrix}[/latex]

If all your words were the same length you could just use a matrix or array

[mp]

And to best of my knowledge we don't have the tabular environment of latex enabled here.

If you post this

\begin{tabular}[t]{|l|ccccc|c|}\multicolumn{7}{c}{USAMTS Scores Round 1}\\\hlineName&\#1&\#2&\#3&\#4&\#5&Total\\\hlineJohn Doe&5&5&3&2&1&16\\Jane Doe&5&5&5&4&5&24\\Richard Feynman&5&5&5&5&5&25\\\hline\end{tabular}

into a Latex renderer you get a lovely table - but here you get nowt. This is from the Art of Problem Solving link that was quoted earlier

Thank you again, imatfaal, but I'm not sure of your point(s) here.

I am just testing a few things out using MathType, which I seem to have working for me for once.

Eventually I want use these items in a particular thread.

Thank you again, imatfaal, but I'm not sure of your point(s) here... <snipped>

I had forgotten you use a generator - it seemed a huge amount of work to render that series of equations - all those \rm{} tags. If you inspect my version and yours you will see there are about half as many characters in mine than in yours. But if you generate the equations in Mathtype then it doesn't really matter if the output is very verbose - although it does make editing very hard work. I just type my latex so the fewer keystrokes the better

Digging into things, it looks like the software developers are already giving the code a full overhaul when they release IP.Board 4.0(within few months). That should improve matters greatly.

Be afraid, be very afraid. The last minor version update was horrid - maybe the major version update will be better

• One of the most annoying traits of the input editor is that ,
  • depending upon the position of my mouse, the editor also starts off whatever icon my mouse pointer is headed, be it underline, strikeout, lists, links overlays

Wouldn't it be just fantastic if it was fixed so this did not happen.

• One of the most annoying traits of the input editor is that ,
  • depending upon the position of my mouse, the editor also starts off whatever icon my mouse pointer is headed, be it underline, strikeout, lists, links overlays

Wouldn't it be just fantastic if it was fixed so this did not happen.

Not sure what you mean. Click (once) in the big empty box to bring up the quick reply box or click the "more reply options" to open the full editor. I have never managed to turn on a style by accident when replying to a post.

Here is the result of (left) clicking once near the top of the "big empty box".

In this case it opens with the font size selector selected, but it could be any of the random options available.post-74263-0-78005200-1424363049_thumb.jpg

Edited by studiot

Have you ever tried telling the corporate IT environment that you want permission to install a particular program, not on their list?

Depending on the program they could tell you no. Some programs aka servers don't run properly at the same time and can cause one or the other not to work. Which could result in a particular it person to be fired if problems occur.

Edited by fiveworlds

• 1 year later...

TEST

[latex] \begin{matrix} \alpha & \beta & \gamma & \delta\\ \epsilon & \zeta & \eta & \theta\\ \iota & \kappa & \lambda & \mu\\ \nu & \xi & \pi & \rho \end{matrix} [/latex]

Procedure for Mathtype

For table create table from drop down list

Copy and paste table

Remove unneccessary coding

Edit 'array' to matrix'

Close up to continuous string

For matrix create brackets

create table and in placeholder and

reduce as above

Also remove extra 'math' and '/math' tags

math]\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
1 & 2 & 3 \\
4 & 5 & 6 \\
7 & 8 & 9 \\
\end{array}[/math
Becomes
math]\left[ {\begin{matrix}1 & 2 & 3 \\ 4 & 5 & 6 \\ 7 & 8 & 9 \\ \end{matrix}} \right][/math
[math]\left[ {\begin{matrix}1 & 2 & 3 \\ 4 & 5 & 6 \\ 7 & 8 & 9 \\ \end{matrix}} \right][/math]

Thanks elfmotat, when are you coming back?

Edited by studiot

Testing Testing Testing

Luv it Charon Y +10

(I saw that in the gravity thread)

But nope, test failed system still only awards +1

Actually I was preparing to answer in the tensor thread and I realised I had to revisit how to post matrices here.

SF doesn't parse my MathType output directly.

Edited by studiot