Ebola outbreak in US...unneccssary scare?

So a british nurse who treated ebola in sierra leone is once again in a critical condition, who has been allowed to mix all this time with the general population.

She is not contagious. (You will notice that there has not been a massive outbreak in Scotland.)

we now have thousands of potential carriers working their way across Europe/world.

You have evidence of these "carriers", I presume?

Edited by Strange

Obviously during the height of the outbreak dozens of surrounding countries were depopulated by ebola and a massive pandemic swept across Europe and North America.

Or at least that was what some people believed. It is weird how that has not happened. Still claiming that while the situation is stabilizing requires a very specific mind set. Working xenophobia into the whole thing is just the icing.

we can guess where these are(in Europe)

not being funny but condoms and Africans rarely mix.

You can indeed guess, but the idea that they are in Europe is spectacularly stupid.

If they were here we would have records of their entry at passport control. Almost all of them will, of course, be in Africa .

But the really important points you have missed are that

They are not infectious and

people are not the natural reservoir for ebola anyway.

You are right; you are not being funny.

It is however racist and, as such, a breach of the forum rules.

You can indeed guess, but the idea that they are in Europe is spectacularly stupid.

But the really important points you have missed are that

They are not infectious and

people are not the natural reservoir for ebola anyway.

You are right; you are not being funny.

It is however racist and, as such, a breach of the forum rules.

You Pompous prick, I am not racist, What have I said "racist", It is well documented that it as been a struggle to get Africans to wear condoms.( a cultural thing).

Dr Emilia Crighton, NHSGGC director of public health, said: "Pauline's condition is a complication of a previous infection with the Ebola virus.

"The risk to the public is very low. In line with normal procedures in cases such as this, we have identified a small number of close contacts of Pauline's that we will be following up as a precaution."

Yes, the risk is very low, but not non existent.

So you are saying you would sit your family in a room with "PAULINE"?

What I am saying is if ebola as reared it's ugly head again in Pauline, WHY DO YOU THINK IT WILL NOT IN THE THOUSANDS OF AFRICANS WHO WHERE INFECTED?

Have you not read of the thousands of "African" passports found that have been discarded in Europe,

https://floroy1942.wordpress.com/2015/09/08/the-great-syrian-refugee-hoax/

She is not contagious. (You will notice that there has not been a massive outbreak in Scotland.)

Not yet, but she is contagious, but she as been under close observation, unlike the many Africans who are making there way to Europe.

I get crucified for stating pauline is infected, And for saying "previously infected Africans" are in Europe,

People like you lot never see the problem before it's to late.

Ebola is not well adapted to us. The very thing that makes it so deadly is what makes it easy to spot and see that the person is treated and isolated.

You can discuss cultural acceptance and the affordability/availability of protective devices, without lumping a group of people together like that.

Way too much xenophobia lately. Most probably just want to find work so they can send remittances home and/or get themselves set up so they can bring their wives and children in relative safety.

I get crucified for stating pauline is infected, And for saying "previously infected Africans" are in Europe,

You do not get criticized for stating that she was/is infected, but the rest of your statements and especially your conclusions ("billions are going to die" really?). And if you think that level of scrutiny is considered crucifixion, well your threshold for criticism is fairly low then. Certain people like to see data that point to issues rather than extrapolating from a random point and let their gut do all the data analysis.

Otherwise you may end up with politicians that are publicly in favor of euthanizing infected people. Oh wait...

You Pompous prick, I am not racist, What have I said "racist", It is well documented that it as been a struggle to get Africans to wear condoms.( a cultural thing).

Yes, the risk is very low, but not non existent.

So you are saying you would sit your family in a room with "PAULINE"?

What I am saying is if ebola as reared it's ugly head again in Pauline, WHY DO YOU THINK IT WILL NOT IN THE THOUSANDS OF AFRICANS WHO WHERE INFECTED?

Have you not read of the thousands of "African" passports found that have been discarded in Europe,

https://floroy1942.wordpress.com/2015/09/08/the-great-syrian-refugee-hoax/

Not yet, but she is contagious, but she as been under close observation, unlike the many Africans who are making there way to Europe.

So, still a shed full of racism there.

Still, in answer to your question re. "So you are saying you would sit your family in a room with "PAULINE"?"

Strictly speaking I don't make decisions for my family- they can do that for themselves- so the only member of my family I can speak for is me. I'd happily do so, though I'm not sure what good it would do; perhaps I could read a nice book for her.

This"WHY DO YOU THINK IT WILL NOT IN THE THOUSANDS OF AFRICANS WHO WHERE INFECTED?"

is a logical fallacy EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE PUT IT IN CAPITAL LETTERS. Specifically, it's a straw man, since nobody actually made the claim you have attacked.

Do you actually understand why doing that makes you look silly?

"I get crucified for stating pauline is infected, "

No you didn't .

Try not telling lies next time you post.

"Not yet, but she is contagious,"

Clearly not true- because, if she were there would be other cases by now.

Again, try not lying next time.

"Have you not read of the thousands of "African" passports found that have been discarded in Europe, "

Who cares; have you not heard that most Africans are still in Africa?

How, exactly, do you imagine that the ones who happen to be carrying Ebola chose to move to Europe?

Do you imagine the virus somehow gives them the air fare?

Or was it just a lie again- based on nothing but prejudice against a race- or if you prefer- racial prejudice - or, as it's commonly referred to Racism?

So, still a shed full of racism there.

Still, in answer to your question re. "So you are saying you would sit your family in a room with "PAULINE"?"

Strictly speaking I don't make decisions for my family- they can do that for themselves- so the only member of my family I can speak for is me. I'd happily do so, though I'm not sure what good it would do; perhaps I could read a nice book for her.

This"WHY DO YOU THINK IT WILL NOT IN THE THOUSANDS OF AFRICANS WHO WHERE INFECTED?"

is a logical fallacy EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE PUT IT IN CAPITAL LETTERS. Specifically, it's a straw man, since nobody actually made the claim you have attacked.

Do you actually understand why doing that makes you look silly?

"I get crucified for stating pauline is infected, "

No you didn't .

Try not telling lies next time you post.

"Not yet, but she is contagious,"

Clearly not true- because, if she were there would be other cases by now.

Again, try not lying next time.

"Have you not read of the thousands of "African" passports found that have been discarded in Europe, "

Who cares; have you not heard that most Africans are still in Africa?

How, exactly, do you imagine that the ones who happen to be carrying Ebola chose to move to Europe?

Do you imagine the virus somehow gives them the air fare?

Or was it just a lie again- based on nothing but prejudice against a race- or if you prefer- racial prejudice - or, as it's commonly referred to Racism?

How is it "racism" Talking about "Africans" when the ebola crisis is from Africa?

Perhaps when I said Africans do not like to wear condoms? If the crisis was from America I would have used the same statement.

Bill Gates has a foundation that works in Africa to treat AIDS and prevent HIV infection. His research demonstrates that most Africans -- like most Americans -- don't wear condoms.

I

We do not yet understand what is happening with ebola, whether it is adapting/changing.

"we are going to see aspects of Ebola virus infection that we have not observed before",

Ebola experts said in August that around half of Ebola survivors in West Africa were already reporting suffering from chronic problems, including serious joint pain and eye inflammation that can lead to blindness.

“Due to the sheer scale of this outbreak compared to previous ones we are going to see aspects of Ebola virus infection that we have not observed before,” said Julian Hiscox, a professor of infection and global health at Britain’s Liverpool University. http://citizentv.co.ke/lifestyle/ebolas-persistence-in-survivors-fuels-concerns-102766/

Pauline the nurse has been visiting schools, she was in a school the "day before" she was "rushed back into quarantine", I would be worried has a parent of these children, but it seems you are quite willing to put children in front of someone who is not completely clear ebola (if risk is low) :confused:

events in UK, I would call British/Britains

events in USA, I would call American/Americans

EVENTS IN AFRICA, I CALL AFRICAN, Not nothing to do with "racism".

And yes there are thousands of Africans coming to Europe, many from the infected areas, and there will be some who have this virus still with in them.

It is the "ebola virus" that we are talking about, not race, the "Africans" are just the unlucky ones at the moment.

but once again you bury your liberal head in the sand.

There is nothing wrong with questioning events in the world without bringing "racism" into it.which "YOU" keep trying to do.

How is it "racism" Talking about "Africans" when the ebola crisis is from Africa?

Perhaps when I said Africans do not like to wear condoms? If the crisis was from America I would have used the same statement.

It isn't and nobody said it was,did they?

"Perhaps when I said Africans do not like to wear condoms? If the crisis was from America I would have used the same statement."

That's more or less my point.

People don't like condoms much, so pointing out that these people are African- as if that is the reason they don't like them- is racist.

People don't like condoms much, so pointing out that these people are African- as if that is the reason they don't like them- is racist.

but we "are" talking about Africans, and the advice was that if you where previously infected you need to wear condoms.

and those previously infected where "Africans".

There are many stats about condom use in different countries, Uk is one of the highest condom using nations,

America and Africa are some of the lowest condom using nations, it is not racism, just fact.

We know that people in Africa are often African.

So why point it out? Why mention it unless you think there's something specific that makes a difference?

Don't forget you still haven't explained this

"we can guess where these are(in Europe)"

I just mention it because it's plainly xenophobic.

Don't forget you still haven't explained this

"we can guess where these are(in Europe)"

I just mention it because it's plainly xenophobic.

These Africans?

several "high-risk" people linked to recent patients in Guinea and Sierra Leone had been lost track of.

I cannot find link, but it was something I read a few months back, officials who where trying to find these "high risk" people, and where told they had gone to Europe,

First, the hundreds of thousands of Syrians fleeing the war back home, whose stunning flight into Europe has seized world attention; and second, the "hundreds of thousands" of much poorer, less educated newcomers who have also fled dire circumstances in Africa. http://time.com/4031569/migrant-crisis-europe-african-refugees/

I am not saying all previously infected "Africans" have come to Europe, but there will be many who have, nothing against them, just that it does bring a greater chance of another ebola outbreak.

Edited by sunshaker

Your comments are offensive, ignorant, stupid, paranoid and generally unwarranted.

From the BBC article: "But there are now so many survivors in West Africa - around 13,000 - that if there was a major risk then we would know about it."

Do you have any evidence that many people from the countries where Ebola was a problem are making their way to Europe? Or are you just going to keep repeating idiotically ignorant assertions?

I cannot find link, but it was something I read a few months back, officials who where trying to find these "high risk" people, and where told they had gone to Europe,

As you can't provide a source, I don't see any reason not to assume it is another of your made-up "facts". But the text you quote says "several" not thousands or many. And as that was while the epidemic was at its height, they have either been found and treated or they didn't have the disease.

I am not saying all previously infected "Africans" have come to Europe, but there will be many who have, nothing against them, just that it does bring a greater chance of another ebola outbreak.

You have provided no evidence "many" previously infected people have come to Europe. Also, because they are previously infected, they pose no significant risk.

I thought that you recently said you were leaving this forum. Please do.

Your comments are offensive, ignorant, stupid, paranoid and generally unwarranted.

my comments where none of the above, your comments are insulting, you seem to lack any "real" awareness of how the world works.

I said "Africans do not like wearing condoms, it is not racist, it is a fact.

Bill Gates has a foundation that works in Africa to treat AIDS and prevent HIV infection. His research demonstrates that most Africans -- like most Americans -- don't wear condoms.

Do you have any evidence that many people from the countries where Ebola was a problem are making their way to Europe? Or are you just going to keep repeating idiotically ignorant assertions?

"There are people escaping conflict in Nigeria, Chad and Ivory Coast. And a man from Sierra Leone, Abu Bakr, who says both his parents died in last year’s ebola outbreak."

The bread and water – just three-dozen 500ml bottles – ran out after two days. With nowhere to move, men in the middle of the boat simply urinated onto their neighbours. “They pissed on all our clothes,

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/17/death-mediterranean-africans-migrant-sea-libya

We know that ebola can hide and come back, has the nurse Pauline has just proved,

There are 100,s of boats crammed with Africans heading to europe, with squalid conditions as above, "awash with urine",

Ebola is a severe, infectious often-fatal disease in humans and nonhuman primates ... stool, urine, sweat etc.

Even some one has dumb has yourself must understand the potential for further transmission of the virus in these conditions.

No one expected nurse Pauline to start showing signs of ebola again, This is a new side of ebola we do not understand,

Also, because they are previously infected, they pose no significant risk.

Significant risk???, A risk is a risk.

We do not understand this new form that ebola has taken, we do not yet understand the "risks".

This thread is about "Ebola" , and the risks to America/Europe, not race!

I thought that you recently said you were leaving this forum. Please do.

You and your little "clique" do nothing but put anyone down who do not follow your 1 dimensional views on this or any other subject, You take a tiny part of any conversation in many threads and turn it nasty and insulting,

REP POINTS ARE NO LONGER WORTH EVEN USING IN THIS FORUM, If anyone down votes one of your or your "cliques" nasty posts it gets reps up, once one of you attack a post the rest come like frenzied sharks for the kill.

There is no longer any free or original thought in this forum, you scare it away or ban it. It is why many of you use "sockpuppets" to make it look like this forum is still alive. I may or may not leave, but ban me and I have no choice,

Edited by sunshaker

"There are people escaping conflict in Nigeria, Chad and Ivory Coast

None of which have had any recent cases of Ebola.

. And a man from Sierra Leone, Abu Bakr, who says both his parents died in last year’s ebola outbreak."

So he is therefore not a risk either.

We know that ebola can hide and come back, has the nurse Pauline has just proved,

She is not contagious.

No one expected nurse Pauline to start showing signs of ebola again, This is a new side of ebola we do not understand,

It is not a new aspect of the disease, as the news reports about her case make clear.

Significant risk???, A risk is a risk.

So I suppose you are terrified of being trampled by a unicorn, as well.