Am asking a favor to any musician...

Externet

Hi.

Just found a partiture of a song my grandfather used to sing when I was a little kid, but no music.

I would like to beg any musician to play (perhaps piano?) and capture its mp3 for me to listen.

It will bring tears to me, meaningless to any other.

If within your skills, please try. Attached.

Thanks

post-295-0-13207700-1370031242_thumb.png

I don't usually read music, so I have to ask. In measure 19, B gets flatted. Am I supposed to remain in that key until the end of the piece?

Edited by Mondays Assignment: Die

Hi.

Just found a partiture of a song my grandfather used to sing when I was a little kid, but no music.

I would like to beg any musician to play (perhaps piano?) and capture its mp3 for me to listen.

It will bring tears to me, meaningless to any other.

If within your skills, please try. Attached.

Thanks

When I get back from taking my boys swimming I will make a recording for you. In the meantime, you can enjoy some of the music I've written and have posted here:

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/58404-music-theory-and-composition/

I don't usually read music, so I have to ask. In measure 19, B gets flatted. Am I supposed to remain in that key until the end of the piece?

There isn't a key change. The B flat is just an accidental. All of the Bs in that measure remain flat, but only for that measure. Afterwards, the Bs go back to the key of C major / A minor.

Edited by Daedalus

When I get back from taking my boys swimming I will make a recording for you. In the meantime, you can enjoy some of the music I've written and have posted here:

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/58404-music-theory-and-composition/

I let you take care of the recording.

A few or several years ago, as a child, I seemed set to become a musician. I quit trying because, in the long run, your talents die with you. Plus, I took two music theory courses and decided theory was lame. Now I just play free-style recreationally. Sometimes it improves my mood.

Ok... I have recorded the main melody with Pro Tools using the sound of a grand piano. I will analyze the music and create some harmonies for it so it will have an accompaniment to support the melody. I am wondering if you also want the second song from Cancons tradicionals a Mont-roig del Camp?

A casa d'un drapaire.mp3

Edited by Daedalus

Thanks a million, Daedalus, very nice of you.

The other song is of no interest, but thanks for asking.

I tried with an online 'Noteflight' program and got half way, good you came to the rescue.

I will somehow listen to it in another compfuser later, as "Murphy lives with me" and Linux refused to play beyond the first note blink.png Has to be some default tweak that I have to check...

"If anything can go wrong, it will" smile.png

Edited - added : Well, Murphy has been defeated again, heard it perfectly with no tweaking, no problem. Was just a compfuser hiccup...

-G R E A T !!!-

Edited by Externet

Thanks a million, Daedalus, very nice of you.

The other song is of no interest, but thanks for asking.

I tried with an online 'Noteflight' program and got half way, good you came to the rescue.

I will somehow listen to it in another compfuser later, as "Murphy lives with me" and Linux refused to play beyond the first note blink.png Has to be some default tweak that I have to check...

"If anything can go wrong, it will" smile.png

Edited - added : Well, Murphy has been defeated again, heard it perfectly with no tweaking, no problem. Was just a compfuser hiccup...

-G R E A T !!!-

You haven't heard the string quartet version I'm writing for you ; ) I don't mean to brag, but the harmonies I'm writing for it are awesome. I'll post it here in about 10 - 15 mins. Then, I will continue to write more harmonies for it because it is such a beautiful piece of music!!!

Here is the string quartet version that I wrote:

A casa d'un drapaire (string quartet).mp3

Edited by Daedalus

Well done!

Thank you zapatos. It has taken me about six hours to arrange the accompaniment, and the toccata is comming along nicely : ) I've modified the main melody to transition with the harmony in a much more pleasant way. The modification is located in the 9th measure (9 seconds into the song) where the instruments used to play the same chord throughout the whole measure. This made the transition to the 10th measure seem unnatural. However, the modification allows the song to flow nicely ; ) I will finish the toccata tomorrow. If anyone wants the music to this version of the song, I had Pro Tools save the sheet music and have posted it below. Enjoy!!!

post-51329-0-38934200-1370692696_thumb.png

post-51329-0-22041800-1370692707_thumb.png

A casa d'un drapaire (revised).mp3

Edited by Daedalus

It's the one piece of music Daedalus CAN'T analyze.

Actually, I could analyze the music if I really wanted to ; ) I can get the notes either by using software or just by listening to the music.

As for the piece of music being discussed, I really can't stand synthesized strings. They just don't sound quite right. However, I rendered the music for clavinet / piano, and made a much better recording by tweaking some settings in Pro Tools. I still haven't finished the toccata because I've been spending time with my kids. So, without further adieu, I give you a more folksy sounding recording:

post-51329-0-28416900-1370810450_thumb.png

If you do not want to download the attached .mp3, I have uploaded a video, including the sheet music, to

Furthermore, Externet was kind enough to translate the lyrics for me. Given the comical nature of the words, I couldn't resist reposting it here:

At a ragman house they made a great supper

we were invited to desserts

and I will tell you what we were given

rags, old iron scraps,

brogues, broken glass and espadrilles

rotten hats, rabbit furs,

and made such a great sauce

that we licked our fingers smile.png

A casa d'un drapaire (clavinet).mp3

Edited by Daedalus

Actually, I could analyze the music if I really wanted to ; ) I can get the notes either by using software or just by listening to the music.

Yeah, the smaller intervals in the the 14TET solo sound identical to normal 12TET half-steps. It's that recursive, high-pitched melody that intrigues me. Whatever temperament it's in, 7TET or 14TET, it doesn't approximate 12TET well, but that's what I like about it.

I listened to the youtube link. I admire your ability and willingness to analyze and compose music. I don't care much for ground-level composition because there's barely any wiggle room, especially when someone else gives you the melodic line. At this stage, it's still a skeleton IMO. I would at least need to hear it in a different voice besides snyth guitar.

But I really don't know how you do it. I hated music theory.

I listened to the youtube link. I admire your ability and willingness to analyze and compose music. I don't care much for ground-level composition because there's barely any wiggle room, especially when someone else gives you the melodic line. At this stage, it's still a skeleton IMO. I would at least need to hear it in a different voice besides snyth guitar.

But I really don't know how you do it. I hated music theory.

To be fair, I have been playing and writing music for over 22 years. In addition, I come from a very long line of musicians on my father's side of the family. My father plays bluegrass on the fiddle / violin, my cousins play violin, my aunt and uncle play piano, my grandfather played violin for the Detroit Philharmonic, my brother plays guitar, and I play guitar and piano. I was also the president of the honor choir in high school, which does wonders for tuning ones ear and helps me play / write the music I hear in my head. Furthermore, I studied many of the greats such as Bach, which also helps one to develop an understanding of the theory. So, I guess you could consider me to be a Maestro because I also teach music, especially to my sons (have to keep the family tradition going) wink.png

As for the music feeling a little incomplete, I will build up the composition as I find time to do so. It's just one of those things I love to do : )

I don't care much for ground-level composition because there's barely any wiggle room, especially when someone else gives you the melodic line.

I find that's not entirely true. It really depends on one's ability to hear other harmonies and melodies that would fit the music. Whether you create an original piece of music or make an arrangement of someone else's music, it's really the same process.

Edited by Daedalus

Thanks for the complements. *takes a bow*

After speaking with my father, who is a bluegrass fiddle player and somewhat of an authority on folk music, I made two changes. He suggested changing the original melody in the seventh measure to fit better with the music of the violin, and that I should change the tempo from Allegretto (100 BPM) to Allegro (110 BPM). He also reminded me to file my copyright. So I did as he suggested, and as most always when it comes to music, dad was right : )

The seventh measure of the melody, which occurs about 7 seconds and 34 seconds into the song, is melodically and harmonically correct. However, it was a little lacking rhythmically in how it relates to the violin music. So instead of playing four 8th notes, I removed the last note and replaced it with two 16th notes. The tempo change, although very slight, allows the 16th notes in the violin music to progress more smoothly. While this may seem like nitpicking, to a musician it can make a difference. Of course, it really is a matter of opinion, but I personally like the changes and I hope everyone else does as well.

Here is the the

for those who do not wish to download the .mp3 file:

I noticed that the video renders over the picture of the sheet music when you click to view it. To solve the problem, I have posted it here (edit: It seems that you have to scroll down far enough so that the video is no longer on the screen. Then, you can click the image of the sheet music to view it without the video rendering on top of it):

post-51329-0-94413000-1371095717_thumb.png

Due to the success in arranging the music for this song, I've decided to take other folk songs and repeat the process. Once I have enough songs for an album, I will upload the music to youtube and post it in my thread, Music Theory and Composition, for everyone to enjoy. happy.png

A casa d'un drapaire.mp3

Edited by Daedalus

He also reminded me to file my copyright.

Darn, I thought about translating your sheet music onto my keyboard and uploading that (I like the sound of my keyboard better). Maybe I'll make something of my own from the first piece of sheet music uploaded... if my laptop's soundcard will cooperate.

I liked your piece more once you gave the melodic line a different voice (and sped it up). The melodic line does some interesting things.

Darn, I thought about translating your sheet music onto my keyboard and uploading that (I like the sound of my keyboard better). Maybe I'll make something of my own from the first piece of sheet music uploaded... if my laptop's soundcard will cooperate.

Hehehe... Thanks for the complement, but I encourage you to only use the original melody in your arrangement of the music. Although I wouldn't mind you using my work for non commercial use, it doesn't really help you discover a new and unique arrangement based on your interpretation of the original work. Creating your own arrangement is an exercise that will help you progress as a musician, and helps build upon your existing knowledge of music theory and composition. However, you could use the rythmic structure of my music to see if you can find different harmonies and melodic lines that create a different feel. It would still be a derivative work, but that would also be a good exercise into understanding how I used these structures to create the music.

I liked your piece more once you gave the melodic line a different voice (and sped it up). The melodic line does some interesting things.

My goal for this composition was not only to build upon the original work, but also leave the orignal melody intact so that anyone who knows the original tune will be able to recognize it within my own work.

Edited by Daedalus

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the the

for those who do not wish to download the .mp3 file:

Quaint! In the most positive connotation of the word! biggrin.png Sounds like something you'd hear in a film score (wherever folk songs are appropriate).

I'm thinking about playing this with a friend just for the experience of doing some different music. Though we're far from virtuosic, this is a very nice piece and I'm interested in trying something unique.

Also, on the sheetmusic can you add the instrument labels by their respective staves? It helps eliminate any ambiguity people might have when they encounter the sheetmusic. Plus, it's just a bit odd seeing the first line without that initial spacing, but that's just me.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Amaton

Quaint! In the most positive connotation of the word! biggrin.png Sounds like something you'd hear in a film score (wherever folk songs are appropriate).

I'm thinking about playing this with a friend just for the experience of doing some different music. Though we're far from virtuosic, this is a very nice piece and I'm interested in trying something unique.

Also, on the sheetmusic can you add the instrument labels by their respective staves? It helps eliminate any ambiguity people might have when they encounter the sheetmusic. Plus, it's just a bit odd seeing the first line without that initial spacing, but that's just me.

Edit: Typo.

Thanks for the complement! As for your question, I'll PM you a version of the sheet music with the names of the instruments I used to record the song. happy.png

Edited by Daedalus