A Cartoonist with a Questionable Sense of Humor

Bill Angel

I thought that the use of Albert Einstein's Image in this political cartoon to be disturbing and inappropriate:

See: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/05/16/3244059/jpmorgan.html

The image the cartoonist used is clearly derived from a well known portrait of Albert Einstein by Yousuf Karsh:

So what are some of the problems that I see this political cartoon's usage of Einstein's image?

Einstein was a theoretical physicist, not an experimental chemist.

Einstein never wore a white lab coat while working.

Einstein was not pre-occupied with money, and never worked for a bank.

Einstein was not dumb.

The banks claim that they are so clever that they don't need regulating- they can do it themselves.

Yet they screwed the whole world's economy.

It's ironic to compare them to Einstein precisely because he was actually clever whereas the banks just claim to be clever.

The fact that it's an entirely different field (finance vs. physics) isn't the point.

I assume it is hinting at Einstein's theoretical contribution to the Manhattan project - great Nobel prize winning thinking used/misused/abused (del per political views) to potentially world destroying consequences, and they used this Einstein parallel cos no one would recognize Fischer Black or Myron Scholes

My guess would have been that JPMorgan Chase was relatively well-regarded among banks for a while, until it had an "oops." If even the good banks screw up occasionally, what does that say about the bad ones?

Funny how everyone's interpretation of the irony is different.