What does everyone think is the ideal age to get married?

Mr Rayon

What does everyone here think is the ideal age to get married?

How young is too young and how old is too old?

There are also people who decide early in life that they never ever want to get married.

What are some reasons that make people not want to marry?

What is the rough proportions of people who do end up getting married in the US/Europe/your country?

Overall, is it a bad thing to get married?

Do you prefer to get married one day or not get married at all?

Well I think you should give yourself some years to build a stable life, explore the world a bit, get a job and then you could get married if you want that. Personally I don't really see the point of marriage but I could still get married nothing against that. Since you just use lots of money that could be used doing something to do with the one you love. And getting married just alone (little money) is fine. But going back to the age I would say 26-28. That would be enough time to be fully educated in most educations and time to travel a bit.

I would say that 32 is ideal, but biology says that 20 is more appropriate--I'm really not a fan of the biological approach. >53 is unusual and is really just a statement about not wanting to be old (with exception), somewhat akin to not being a fan of the biological approach. I think it sucks that some people who are loving and caring people, and who want to be in this sort of close relationship, never find someone.

In this period of time 24 and above are considerable. Well whatever might be the age the minimum age difference between a husband and a wife should be in between 10 - 20 years but that's not maintained.

Some people like living alone. The cause might be people are more interested in there lives they are living or they don't like to be dominant over someone. They might not want unusual pressures.

No, It's not a bad thing to get married.

Biology says that a sexual relationship is a must for a man to keep him fit but that's not essential for women.

What does everyone here think is the ideal age to get married?

How young is too young and how old is too old?

In Australia, the legal age is 18. Personally, I think that there are very few people at the age of 18 who have the mental maturity to really commit to such a thing. If you'll excuse the anecdote, although I myself am only 23, I am a far cry from the person I was when I was 18. I've grown a bit, developed a bit more and learned a number of things about myself that have significantly changed the way I perceive my life. More importantly though, has been the change in the way I relate to the people and things within it. I have had a number of close relationships with friends and family change or end completely simply because the value I once held in these interactions was altered or gone, which is a direct result of the changes within myself. While that may all be anecdotal, I suspect that that type of situation is not too uncommon in people around my age and younger.

There are also people who decide early in life that they never ever want to get married.

What are some reasons that make people not want to marry?

I myself am not particularly fussed about the idea. I don't object outright and if it ever came to pass that I was with someone who asked me and who I was comfortable with spending the foreseeable future with, then I would say yes. At the same time, it's not the be all and end all for relationships for me and, 'will you marry me?', is not a question I would ever actively seek out.

I suppose the main reason is that I just don't see the need. It's a piece of paper that gives you a few extra legal perks (doubley so if you're trying to get residency in you partner's home country) and one that doesn't seem to really hold much value to most people of my generation except as some vague symbolic artifact and the cost of the wedding itself. Perhaps I'm just a cynic. I don't celebrate valentines day either and very, very rarely do I do anything for anniversaries.

What is the rough proportions of people who do end up getting married in the US/Europe/your country?

From the Australian Bureau of Statistics:

totalmarriages.png

I also found this:

totaldivorces.png

And this, which I think is particularly interesting:

age.png

Overall, is it a bad thing to get married?

No.

Do you prefer to get married one day or not get married at all?

Couldn't care either way.

(...)From the Australian Bureau of Statistics:

totalmarriages.png

I also found this:

totaldivorces.png

(...)

Incidentally, I tried to compare the 2 graphs (marriages versus divorces)and noticed they just can't be juxtaposed. The scale along the vertical is different from one graph to the other, and I hate that (sorry for the Australian Bureau of Statistics).

So I made a quick transformation and obtained this one:

Shot004.jpg

I suppose you cannot compare marriages and divorces on the same year because it takes some time (usually) before divorcing. So the correspondance between the 2 graphs should be seen along some diagonal, according to the average marriage duration before divorce.

I don't think there is an ideal age for all people. It's like most things, different for every person. Marriage is a blend of being your own person and learning to work well as a partner.

I think a lot depends on if you plan on having children. Children teach you much about yourself, so it can be a great benefit to have them when you're younger and not too set in your ways.

No matter what age you are, I think you need to be happy without needing anything or anyone. If you can be fascinated with just looking around at the world, learning and wondering about it, then everything else is just icing on the cake. If you can do that, then your life is enhanced by everything new you bring into it, including people with whom you want to share it.

There may have been a little wet humor to my dry comment. However, I don't see any great benefit to marriage as you describe. I think it depends on the person. I'm fairly ambitious, particular, and require little attention. In fact, the only pets I like are those that take care of themselves and require little attention, such asa cat, or a more wild species.

In contrast, my wife requires considerable attention, something that is sometimes difficult for me.

Guess it above all depends on your level of dependence/codependence.

I don't see any great benefit to marriage as you describe. I think it depends on the person.

If you look at it more practically from a legal standpoint, there are at least 1,138 benefits conferred on a married couple that an unmarried couple (or, unfortunately still in most US states, a homosexual couple) is restricted from receiving.

http://www.nclrights.org/site/DocServer/2004GAO.pdf?docID=1161