When did Jesus die?

ydoaPs

The Gospels give us some information by which we can date when the crucifixion was. The Last Supper was (depending on which Gospel you read) either a Passover dinner or the night before. Passover starts on the first full moon after the spring equinox. Immediately following the crucifixion, the Gospels say there was an eclipse. Eclipses, full moons, and equinoxes are all calculable.

This should be enough to find the date. When was it?

We have a date. It is good friday the friday before easter. In 33AD

Does the traditional date match the criteria put forth in the Gospels? We also have a traditional date for Christmas, but it doesn't match what the Gospels say. Christianity has had a habit of stealing holidays from pagans.

Does the traditional date match the criteria put forth in the Gospels? We also have a traditional date for Christmas, but it doesn't match what the Gospels say. Christianity has had a habit of stealing holidays from pagans.

Oh yes yes i remember about christmas and has we have repeatedly stolen pagan holiday dates. I forgot about such then. The gospels say one thing and the followers from hundreds of years later make a holiday saying something else. (Likely due to their lack of knowledge on it and ability to research it then they had to comprimise.) Thanks for reminding me, I could try and calculate it myself and see what i get compared to others.

As a funny aside, we even have an oddly specific traditional date for the creation of the universe. YHWH is said to have created the universe on October 23, 4004BC at 9AM. I think it was a Tuesday.

Oh yes yes i remember about christmas and has we have repeatedly stolen pagan holiday dates. I forgot about such then. The gospels say one thing and the followers from hundreds of years later make a holiday saying something else. (Likely due to their lack of knowledge on it and ability to research it then they had to comprimise.) Thanks for reminding me, I could try and calculate it myself and see what i get compared to others.

If it helps, the eclipse was around noon.

It's a trick question. Jesus is still alive in the hearts of all who have faith.

I'd post a Fry face, but I *am* sure.

A traditional date for the universe? I think not, There was once a guy that decided to use biblical genealogy to calculate the start of the world and he calculated some time around 1600 that it all began 6k years ago. BUT even so i don't believe that it is as traditional as christmas or other holidays. Even though that is accepted by many christians i think that they are miseducated. I am indeed a christian but i do not believe that it was created then. I believe that the universe is much older. As you will read in genesis chapter 1 the world was created before Adam and Eve and they were created on day 6. BUT do they have to be days in the terms we know them? Remember they did not exist until at least day 2. The universe could indeed be MUCH older

On March 19th 33AD there was an eclipse that peaked at roughly 1PM, "The sky darkened" from roughly noon to 3PM according to the scripture. I guess i can start there.

And it was also a total eclipse.

Not unless Israel is south of the Equator.

Not unless Israel is south of the Equator.

But you're talking about a all-powerful God who somehow fathered a son who could walk on water - surely he could've turned the world upside down to make the story consistent.

Ok well we cannot rely on the information that the eclipse lasted 3 hours because a 10 minute eclipse is a very long eclipse.

But that can't be right, the gospels say it lasted from the 6th hour til the 9th hour, consistently in Matthew, Mark and Luke.....unless of course that you are pointing out that the biblical information is unreliable :rolleyes:

But that can't be right, the gospels say it lasted from the 6th hour til the 9th hour, consistently in Matthew, Mark and Luke.....unless of course that you are pointing out that the biblical information is unreliable :rolleyes:

Unreliable?! I think you mean infallible.

It must be because hours were much shorter back then. Does the Bible ever mention how many hours were actually in a day? Because the days must have been incredibly long if the world was created 4000 years before Jesus.

No i am not saying such, Biblical information is just misinterpreted A LOT, Most of the time you cannot see things litterally.

If you can't read the bible literally, then how do you determine if an interpretation is valid?

If you can't, then any interpretation is valid and therefore the bible can't be used for any sort of reliable inferences about historical events. Which really calls into question the whole Jesus divinity thing.

At least I got some free jelly beans today.

Edit:

22 member(s) have a birthday today

apollo2011, J0n, EvolvEarth (27), Ozzy, Azathoth (28), BioHazard21 (21), johnbonds (68), route89 (61), Melanydac (40), SidikHokin (25), MIDOxRI, jeford06 (25), adenjeff142 (27), NETWHITEHOX (24), BaipsRibkip (23), clubby (20), Singularitarian1992 (20), FVFV (19), jZellaChaneyd (24), Hidopioro (23), vkillion (22), Geoffrey1 (29)

Congrats.

Edited by Ben Bowen

• 3 weeks later...

As a funny aside, we even have an oddly specific traditional date for the creation of the universe. YHWH is said to have created the universe on October 23, 4004BC at 9AM. I think it was a Tuesday.

That was the date published in 1650 by the Archbishop of Armagh.

The calculation is called the Ussher chronology.

Since YHWH exists outside of space and time (in fact created them), I find it humorous that so many people insist that he wear a watch.

Edited by DrDNA