Your diet

Appolinaria

I'm interested in other people's diets if willing to share. For example, what foods you stay away from/gravitate towards for health reasons.

Do you only buy organic food? Do you eat grains? Do you stay away from gluten? Do you stay away from dairy, even if it's organic? Do you use sugar? Use salt? Are you a vegetarian? Pescetarian? Do you drink only purified water? Do you drink alcohol? Do you eat 3 times a day? Do you consume the recommended amount of water?

Because I know it is good for me I tend toward lean meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, non-fat dairy, beans, small amounts of nuts, and healthy fats. I don't buy organic or avoid salt and sugar. My water comes from the tap. I don't take vitamins. I drink alcohol, usually Johnnie Walker Black scotch or Old Bushmills Irish whiskey, and beer. Most of my worst drunks have involved tequila. I don't drink much wine, and will try any food or drink. And most important, I never let a good diet get in the way of good food, no matter how bad it is for me. :rolleyes:

I am in no way a dieter, but I have made drastic changes within the last year. A couple years ago my diet consisted of toaster strudel in the morning, eating out with co-workers at lunch, then eating dinner at a restaurant with my girl friend. I gained 15-20 pounds within a few months.

To me this was unacceptable as this was the first time I truly had gained weight, and I slowly started changing my diet.

I do not normally drink milk anymore, I prefer soy milk (silk regular to be specific :) ). Not just because it's healthier but I also like the taste more than milk. I have pretty much separated myself from any form of soda, I normally drink at least 3-4 bottles of water a day, normally it's spring water but I don't really care. I always make sure to eat breakfast in the morning, normally cereal or some kind of yogurt (blueberry normally). I do not drink alcohol. Lunch normally consist of subway. Dinner is a toss up, it may be a home cooked meal, out to eat, or just me scrambling together what I can find in the kitchen.

Edited by NetSplitter

Because I know it is good for me I tend toward lean meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, non-fat dairy, beans, small amounts of nuts, and healthy fats. I don't buy organic or avoid salt and sugar. My water comes from the tap. I don't take vitamins. I drink alcohol, usually Johnnie Walker Black scotch or Old Bushmills Irish whiskey, and beer. Most of my worst drunks have involved tequila. I don't drink much wine, and will try any food or drink. And most important, I never let a good diet get in the way of good food, no matter how bad it is for me. :rolleyes:

Tequila is terrible, wah.

I am in no way a dieter, but I have made drastic changes within the last year. A couple years ago my diet consisted of toaster strudel in the morning, eating out with co-workers at lunch, then eating dinner at a restaurant with my girl friend. I gained 15-20 pounds within a few months.

To me this was unacceptable as this was the first time I truly had gained weight, and I slowly started changing my diet.

I do not normally drink milk anymore, I prefer soy milk (silk regular to be specific :) ). Not just because it's healthier but I also like the taste more than milk. I have pretty much separated myself from any form of soda, I normally drink at least 3-4 bottles of water a day, normally it's spring water but I don't really care. I always make sure to eat breakfast in the morning, normally cereal or some kind of yogurt (blueberry normally). I do not drink alcohol. Lunch normally consist of subway. Dinner is a toss up, it may be a home cooked meal, out to eat, or just me scrambling together what I can find in the kitchen.

Haha, I've scrambled things together when I've neglected going to the grocery store. What lasts longest, usually some strange concoction involving potatoes.

I try to stay away from all of those soy/fake meat products.

Spoken like someone who has never tried one which doesn't arrive in a plastic bottle. Good tequila is a very amazing thing to experience, and is to be sipped, not shot.

I just don't think I like it, in a plastic bottle or not. Plus, when I used to go out to bars, we would always get tequila rounds. So I equate just the scent of it with bad memories.

I used to drink primarily dark beers, vodka and champagne.

Spoken like someone who has never tried one which doesn't arrive in a plastic bottle. Good tequila is a very amazing thing to experience, and is to be sipped, not shot.

I drink a reposado called 1921. Very nice. It is not the one I get drunk on though because I wouldn't waste it by shooting it, and it costs too much to drink too much of at once.

Well, according to all the dieticians, I'm dead.

I don't eat fruit except some tomato based goo in things like pasta dishes.

I don't eat vegetables except potatoes, nuts and cereals (and I consider coffee and cocoa beans to be nuts).

About my only concession to "health food" is that I choose wholemeal versions of bread and pasta where I can.

I do drink milk (full cream of course) and fruit juice and, recently, take vitamin pills.

I'm not a big fan of beer but I drink practically everything else- particularly whisk(e)y.

I seem to have survived to 46 in better health than many, I'm not overweight and I have low blood pressure.

Annoying isn't it? :D

Well, according to all the dieticians, I'm dead.

I don't eat fruit except some tomato based goo in things like pasta dishes.

I don't eat vegetables except potatoes, nuts and cereals (and I consider coffee and cocoa beans to be nuts).

About my only concession to "health food" is that I choose wholemeal versions of bread and pasta where I can.

I do drink milk (full cream of course) and fruit juice and, recently, take vitamin pills.

I'm not a big fan of beer but I drink practically everything else- particularly whisk(e)y.

I seem to have survived to 46 in better health than many, I'm not overweight and I have low blood pressure.

Annoying isn't it? :D

Not annoying, Cuthber. Humans are built to survive.

• 2 weeks later...

Something else we agree on. :lol: May I recommend Joses "Reserva De La Familia" as an excellent agave?

As to diet I try to eat something from each of the four basic food groups each day. "Fat, Oil, Grease and Burnt crunchy bits." I firmly believe that the occasional meal that makes your arteries go "Clang" just by looking at it is a good thing. Think of bacon and eggs with the eggs nice and crunchy from being cooked in the bacon fat. ;)

Ideal breakfast before a big day working outdoors: 2 eggs, 2 full rashers of bacon, 2 sausages, 1/2 tomato, 2 hash browns, 2-4 slices of buttered toast, 1 litre of fruit juice and a huge cup of coffee. (Seriously)

In general.

Milk, full cream between 1 and 2 litres per day, either in coffee or as a straight drink. Milk is a great thirst quencher in a hot climate and the right biscuit dipped in milk can approach heaven. Tomatoes come in bottles of tomato paste for either Italian or Mexican cooking. Generally I'm what we call a "Meat and three veg" man. A good steak, or chops, or roast (basically any meat serving) with potato, carrots and peas or beans. Simple solid tucker that keeps a man going. But I do add fresh crushed garlic to just about everything I cook. (I seriously love my garlic.)

Cereal for breakfast and "Weet Bix" with butter and Vegemite as snacks.

Water, milk or fruit juice being the preferred drinks, water at least 2 litres per day. I rarely drink beer, much preferring tequila or single malts.

I'm 50 and generally called "insufferably" healthy.

As to diet I try to eat something from each of the four basic food groups each day. "Fat, Oil, Grease and Burnt crunchy bits."

If I agreed with everything you said in that post (in addition to this great quote) any more, I'd probably be seeing your face instead of mine when I looked in the mirror!

Although, I do enjoy tremendously fresh fruits and vegetables, and just about anything multi-grain.

1325227920[/url]' post='647701']

Something else we agree on. :lol: May I recommend Joses "Reserva De La Familia" as an excellent agave?

As to diet I try to eat something from each of the four basic food groups each day. "Fat, Oil, Grease and Burnt crunchy bits." I firmly believe that the occasional meal that makes your arteries go "Clang" just by looking at it is a good thing. Think of bacon and eggs with the eggs nice and crunchy from being cooked in the bacon fat. ;)

Ideal breakfast before a big day working outdoors: 2 eggs, 2 full rashers of bacon, 2 sausages, 1/2 tomato, 2 hash browns, 2-4 slices of buttered toast, 1 litre of fruit juice and a huge cup of coffee. (Seriously)

In general.

Milk, full cream between 1 and 2 litres per day, either in coffee or as a straight drink. Milk is a great thirst quencher in a hot climate and the right biscuit dipped in milk can approach heaven. Tomatoes come in bottles of tomato paste for either Italian or Mexican cooking. Generally I'm what we call a "Meat and three veg" man. A good steak, or chops, or roast (basically any meat serving) with potato, carrots and peas or beans. Simple solid tucker that keeps a man going. But I do add fresh crushed garlic to just about everything I cook. (I seriously love my garlic.)

Cereal for breakfast and "Weet Bix" with butter and Vegemite as snacks.

Water, milk or fruit juice being the preferred drinks, water at least 2 litres per day. I rarely drink beer, much preferring tequila or single malts.

I'm 50 and generally called "insufferably" healthy.

I sautée everything in garlic, sometimes add it chopped raw to things. Pretty sure it's antibacterial and good for your heart ontop of being essential for hearty comfort food.

Haha I've had Weetabix. My friend and I would dump a pound of sugar on those with milk. You're definitely British.

The wife and I tend to make a lot of our food ourselves - as both a health and environmental decision.

She bakes our bread, usually rye sourdough made once a week.

We tend to not buy meat and only eat meat I've hunted. This means I shoot a couple of deer per year, field dress them and send them to the abattoir for processing. We have a couple of chest freezers full of Bambi. Venison and jalapeno salami is amazing.

We both make our own beer - usually partial mash brews and have a few on the go at any given time. I'm also partial to a nice single malt scotch or small batch rye whiskey.

We try to grow some of our own herbs and veges but mostly buy those.

1325263751[/url]' post='647751']

The wife and I tend to make a lot of our food ourselves - as both a health and environmental decision.

She bakes our bread, usually rye sourdough made once a week.

We tend to not buy meat and only eat meat I've hunted. This means I shoot a couple of deer per year, field dress them and send them to the abattoir for processing. We have a couple of chest freezers full of Bambi. Venison and jalapeno salami is amazing.

We both make our own beer - usually partial mash brews and have a few on the go at any given time. I'm also partial to a nice single malt scotch or small batch rye whiskey.

We try to grow some of our own herbs and veges but mostly buy those.

Where do you live, if you don't mind?

I'm on a see food diet, i see food and i eat it. Actually i do eat a lot of seafood, I live on the coast and i can get fresh seafood everyday and I love fish, shrimp, crab, oysters, clams and several other odd things i can catch myself. I also go for local produce and freeze it in season so i can have it out of season. Oysters are in season now and I've eaten a boat load so far this season. New years even will be oyster night for sure. I just baked a batch of eggnog biscuits, they are really great but eggnog is out of season so this will be the last batch.

1325268923[/url]' post='647773']

I'm on a see food diet, i see food and i eat it. Actually i do eat a lot of seafood, I live on the coast and i can get fresh seafood everyday and I love fish, shrimp, crab, oysters, clams and several other odd things i can catch myself. I also go for local produce and freeze it in season so i can have it out of season. Oysters are in season now and I've eaten a boat load so far this season. New years even will be oyster night for sure. I just baked a batch of eggnog biscuits, they are really great but eggnog is out of season so this will be the last batch.

Cool. I recently became a pescetarian after about 5 years of being a vegetarian. Don't care at all for shrimp and most fish. However, pan seared (borderline burnt) scallops are delicious, same with mussels in a nice broth, clams done right are good. Never had oysters, how do you prepare them Moontanman?

Cool. I recently became a pescetarian after about 5 years of being a vegetarian. Don't care at all for shrimp and most fish. However, pan seared (borderline burnt) scallops are delicious, same with mussels in a nice broth, clams done right are good. Never had oysters, how do you prepare them Moontanman?

The main way is to steam them until they just barely open and then dip them in various sauces (I like butter, hot vinegar or wasabbi grated up and sprinkled over them) or just eat em right out of the shell, I like em raw too but they are difficult to get into raw. I collect my own clams and a species of mussel that lives in the sand, pen oysters are good, cockles, conch, I love crayfish, crabs and shrimp. How have you eaten shrimp? Fried or boiled big difference in taste. As for fish, I like flounder, grouper, spots, croakers, cobia, shark, Spanish mackerel and pompano. If I can cook them on the beach when I catch them bluefish are good as well.

Mmmmmm two dozen hot eggnog biscuits..... now for that home made dewberry jam....

1325272785[/url]' post='647785']

The main way is to steam them until they just barely open and then dip them in various sauces (I like butter, hot vinegar or wasabbi grated up and sprinkled over them) or just eat em right out of the shell, I like em raw too but they are difficult to get into raw. I collect my own clams and a species of mussel that lives in the sand, pen oysters are good, cockles, conch, I love crayfish, crabs and shrimp. How have you eaten shrimp? Fried or boiled big difference in taste. As for fish, I like flounder, grouper, spots, croakers, cobia, shark, Spanish mackerel and pompano. If I can cook them on the beach when I catch them bluefish are good as well.

Mmmmmm two dozen hot eggnog biscuits..... now for that home made dewberry jam....

I've had them sautéed and fried. I don't like the crunchiness of shrimp.

It's pretty sweet that you can catch your own dinner.

Although I am currently about 20lbs overweight, I don't believe in maintaining a strict diet. Most strict diets are almost impossible to maintain, and I really do not have the time to fuss about things that I can not control.

For me maintaining a healthy diet is centered around controlling the quality of the foods that I eat. I avoid eating any processed foods, no processed cheeses, no boxed or frozen dinners, and so on. I don't however, avoid things like chocolate, chips, and ice cream. I currently have a plate of soft chocolate that I made from cocoa, sugar, and butter, sitting in the fridge and I am consuming it in bites. If I don't make it myself I go to a bakers, or specialty shops like Thomas Haas chocolatier. I most often snack on fruits, quality cheeses, and fresh breads. I really like olives.

I eat meat a fair bit. Most of my dishes involve a cut of meat and some vegetables. I eat more meat because this is what I am attracted to. I feel most satisfied with what I have eaten when it involves meat. Meat with sauces that is. I like my salmon with hollandaise, lamb with chocolate raspberry, duck with a wine reduction, southern fried chicken with gravy and corn bread, and so on. I try to cook my meats as little as possible, but ensure that meats like chicken are cooked to safety standards. I simply sear my steaks on the stove and consume them blue rare. Sushi is also one of my favorites.

If it's not a meat dish then it is a casserole or pasta. I try to make the classics like moussaka and dolmades, or lasagna. I can't believe how disgusting lasagna can be made, and how people order noodles with sauce from pizza shops and call it lasagna. Some of the best pizza shops make really terrible lasagna, and that said, I always order my pizza and do not bother to make it myself. Sometimes I will pick up a bottle of wine if I am making something fancy, and will try to complement the dish with an equally thought out dessert.

I think if the concern is maintaining a diet to improve the quality of ones health, one should instead focus on incorporating more exercise into each and every day. I refuse to drive, I have never held a driver's license, and walk whenever I can. I try to keep myself enrolled in physical activities, either holding a gym membership, or taking martial arts, or whatever. I tend to take jobs where I am not sitting all day and where I am involved physically with the work I am doing. This last bit is about to change and I will have to spend more time in the gym.

I've had them sautéed and fried. I don't like the crunchiness of shrimp.

It's pretty sweet that you can catch your own dinner.

Steamed or roasted oysters are noting like sauteed or fried, i mean really not even close. Shrimp are crunchy? That doesn't sound good to me either.