Forum moderators and mental health

truth be known

I have nothing at all against moderators. Then again I have never received a warning or citation.

Anyway, while looking over these forums, I saw a notice of violation from a mod that went something like "What you are talking about is speculation and does not belong here" and this was in a topic of theoretical physics! blink.gif I find that mind bogglingly funny. Please go one post up and replay Picard face palm now.

I don't care what the Mod thinks he/she knows, it's wrong. No one here knows and I am certain that in another 100 years or maybe a thousand, we will have an entirely new set of laws that put his/her ideas to shame.

In the race to be so exact, the errors made in common subjects can be so far off as to be laughable. Take time, you know there is no proof at all that you can go back in time? But there is proof you can skip forward. Need proof? wait just a sec... And there you have it! (I thought that was funny laugh.gif) But it is proof!

My point is simply that we think we know so much, it fact we know far less (mostly theory about why the results we see) . So in fact, if what we know is simply what we believe, then closing the door on anyone that does not believe as we do is hypocrisy (I do understand the need to keep fanatics out).

Edited by Scotchmana

I don't care what the Mod thinks he/she knows, it's wrong. No one here knows and I am certain that in another 100 years or maybe a thousand, we will have an entirely new set of laws that put his/her ideas to shame.

They're not Grand Inquisitors enforcing doctrine. They're enforcing some semblance of scientific thinking and discussions normative to that discipline. Do you think they're not aware of the progress of science, and how much of what we know will be expanded upon, overturned, etc. by future science? It doesn't tell us anything useful to note that. It doesn't destroy current knowledge, because current knowledge is better than past knowledge. Knowing that the earth orbits around the sun in an ellipse is better than thinking it orbits in a circle, which is better than thinking the sun orbits the earth, which is better than thinking the earth is flat and illuminated daily by a celestial sun chariot. We're wrong about stuff. We're righter than yesterday. Get over it.

No mod here is closing doors on reasoned, informed discussion. They close doors on outlandish, baseless, worthless pontification. And out of a precautionary principle which generally airs on the side of respect for the free exchange of ideas, they sure as hell let a lot of it go.

Now. Everyone. Please. Back to innuendo.

Edited by PhDwannabe

They're not Grand Inquisitors enforcing doctrine. They're enforcing some semblance of scientific thinking and discussions normative to that discipline. Do you think they're not aware of the progress of science, and how much of what we know will be expanded upon, overturned, etc. by future science?

Really? I admit to not knowing what the original post content was, yet I do know something the Mod does not. In all of my arrogance, an ego is not me. Still I know the physics laws the Mod wished to protect and also that they are not worth protecting. The thread subject matter is a physics theory mistaken for a law that was never proven. Still it is about to be shattered in the next 20 years. Yes, I do know this to be a fact and would say more but forum rules restrain my claims. It seams that even stating what the thread was would be a forum violation in the face of accepted scientific dogma without sufficient proof to shatter the dogma single handily. That's rough. dry.gif

P.S.: Well I got my first Mod reprimand.

That explains why you were a bit... overenthusiastic, after coming over from Phi's place.

Overenthusiastic?! I've never met a woman like that! Perhaps you lack stamina?

Anyway, while looking over these forums, I saw a notice of violation from a mod that went something like "What you are talking about is speculation and does not belong here" and this was in a topic of theoretical physics!

We have a special section for those ideas that diverge from accepted science. See Speculations.

Now. Everyone. Please. Back to innuendo.

Is that Greek style or Italian?

Really? I admit to not knowing what the original post content was, yet I do know something the Mod does not.

This is off topic to this thread, but I'll bite.

As I repeatedly told you, Scotchmana, all you need to do is provide references to what you know that the mod (or any other member) does not so that the whole world can see how more knowledgeable you are without wondering if what you're saying is just your opinion (which at some point you admitted it was, case in point).

We expect this from all our users, be them members or moderators or admins. It's how things go 'round 'ere.

You chose not to, and were called out for it. Really, that's all there is to it.

Yes, I do know this to be a fact and would say more but forum rules restrain my claims.

No we don't, we just ask that you give us the reason for which you know it's a fact. I don't do dogmas, but feel free to shatter my catmas.

P.S.: Well I got my first Mod reprimand.

You really didn't. Not yet. Why, do you want one?

Phi, dude, I told you, when you borrow my whip, clean up the residue, the drycleaner's starting to ask questions.

Phi, dude, I told you, when you borrow my whip, clean up the residue, the drycleaner's starting to ask questions.

Don't flame me, I didn't borrow it. Hellooooooo, one big eye left, I don't USE whips anymore!

But I did borrow dave's cattle prod, if you wannabe trying some Italian.... ;)

Btw, I saw your reply to my message about those pills the vet gave my bull that made him service every cow I have, then break down the fence and service all my neighbors cows. I don't know the name of the pills, but they sort of taste like peppermint.

Btw, I saw your reply to my message about those pills the vet gave my bull that made him service every cow I have, then break down the fence and service all my neighbors cows. I don't know the name of the pills, but they sort of taste like peppermint.

They weren't supposed to be taken orally!

ROFL!

This is a fantastic thread.

First of all, it certainly showed that the OP was right. All the mods that replied here show that they can't control their vicious instincts, and should they seek psychiatrict help.

Secondly, it also shows we absolutely adore trolls. Can we keep this one, please, please, please, please, please ??

So many ways to respond to this.

You know that mooey is really a 57 year old bloke right?

Aren't we all?

With access to Mission: Impossible disguises.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Internet_dog.jpg

And in case you're wondering, we all look like our avatars.

I had wondered who was starting all the rumours that I was a dead, nobel prize winning, male chemist from America.

If nothing else, I guess I have good grounds to skip the rest of my Ph.D. and assume tenure somewhere. That's how it works, right?

I had wondered who was starting all the rumours that I was a dead, nobel prize winning, male chemist from America.

Soooo... you're not Bobby "the Burner"? And you say he's dead?! That explains why you haven't responded to my blackmail threats. I guess I can throw all those naked pictures away....

Soooo... you're not Bobby "the Burner"? And you say he's dead?! That explains why you haven't responded to my blackmail threats. I guess I can throw all those naked pictures away....

That was one time. One time. And I don't regret a moment of it.

And don't lie to me, you'll stuff them in the sock drawer with the rest of your SFN collection. All I ask is that you keep me away from Capn'; I'm allergic to ginger, even in photographic form.

And don't lie to me, you'll stuff them in the sock drawer with the rest of your SFN collection. All I ask is that you keep me away from Capn'; I'm allergic to ginger, even in photographic form.

Or in a folder labeled sock drawer, for the digital stuff.

Wow, I mean WOW!!! Thanks for the new pictures! You're right, you have NOTHING to regret. I now know the true meaning of chemical hardening! We should definitely get together and discuss a new, um... activity series for my... metal. And my titration process should produce a cumplete reaction for both of us.

Nice mole, by the way.

And don't lie to me, you'll stuff them in the sock drawer with the rest of your SFN collection.

HA! My socks are two drawers down! :P

All I ask is that you keep me away from Capn'; I'm allergic to ginger, even in photographic form.

No problem. The Cap'n has a rather low flash point anyway. In fact, there's rumor he's homogenous.

Wow, I mean WOW!!! Thanks for the new pictures! You're right, you have NOTHING to regret. I now know the true meaning of chemical hardening! We should definitely get together and discuss a new, um... activity series for my... metal. And my titration process should produce a cumplete reaction for both of us.

Nice mole, by the way.

Let's make like a rotaxane and thread some macrocycles.

Failing that, I think we can both rest assured that many end points will be had in any future titrations (we're scientists; we have to repeat our experiments in the name of statistics, remember?) :P

HA! My socks are two drawers down! :P

I hardly think it matters.

No problem. The Cap'n has a rather low flash point anyway. In fact, there's rumor he's homogenous.

Mooey strikes again.

Let's make like a rotaxane and thread some macrocycles.

Nasty, Nasty! I don't think all these pesky physicists [they've taken over the staff, definitely a conspiracy] are ready to see that yet. They might keel over and die at the mighty awesomeness of the rotaxane insertion.

Men with smaller R-groups also get intimidated by women who proudly expose their macrocycles.

*anyone who doesn't follow this should google rotaxane and look at pictures to catch the innuendo.

755px-rotaxane_methods_of_synthesis.png

Shield your eyes children.