Why are you voting for Kerry?

blike

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was quite impressed by his MTV interview. I like his plans for college, which affect myself and my fiance, who has been turned down for a pell grant, because apparently 14,000/y is too much to be needing help.

I like his plan to reduce the tax burden on the middle and lower classes, shifting it to the big spenders, who honestly, are not gonna miss a few extra dollars. Also I feel Kerry will more strongly support scientific research, and perhaps even take this global warming thing serious.

And yes, I mostly want bush the hell out the office. He has made a mess of this country, pissed of the world, and doesn't really have a damned thing to show for it. We have a new federal cop department, less privacy, long waits at airports, and a kid from right up the street can still sneak weapon like objects onto an airplane. We've got a former ruler of a country out of power, yet the guy who dealt a pretty nasty blow to our country is still walking free, perhaps planning the next. And marching him out NOV 1 will not change my mind, only verify conspiracys IMO.

We've gone to war in two countries, we're talking about going to war in a third, which will likely require the draft. I mean, I understand people believe we are living in the end of times, Jesus return or whatever, but that doesn't mean we have to force it to come. Bush, and his comments show me he clearly lets his beliefs decide his choice, and in this day and age, well, simply put, so does Bin Laden.

and I personally feel that any person who follows a belief system which claims to plan destruction to our planet, need not be in charge of one of the most powerful countries on earth.

Not trying to pick on bush, but these are reasons I'm voting for John. I'd vote nader if I thought he has a chance.

well, i cannot vote quite yet, but i will explain why i support him. also, let it be known that before kerry, my choices were dean, kucinich and edwards in order of most favored to least favored.

kerry has a better grip on the issues than bush. rather than blaming events for our problems or denying problems as bush has, kerry has addressed the problems we have and designed plans for fixing our problems. not all policies i agree with completely, but i believe his policies are more favorable than any other candidate including nader. while nader is a good economist, he is tunnel-visioned and not so good with other topics. so, simply put, i believe kerry represents me better than any alternative.

I'm not voting in the US, but I would assume one great reason would be that he's not Bush???

Quite. I think that's why many people will vote for him this time around. If I was American, I sure as hell would.

I'm not voting in the US, but I would assume one great reason would be that he's not Bush???

I agree. I'm not old enough to vote, but if I were I'd vote for Kerry. I would've liked to have see Clark in the election, but that didn't happen. Either way, I believe a chimp may have been a better choice than Bush.

But Kerry seems fairly competent. I do like his plans for taxes, like DRZ said. Which conflicts greatly with Bush's tax cuts for the rich.

Plus, Kerry has seen war. It seems to me that if someone has actually seen war they will be less likely to actually start a war (especially a pointless one).

well, to be honest i dont really like kerry, but bush is just a piece of crap, everything about him and his party bother me greatly....they let their ultra christian beliefs dictate what we do as a country. john ashcroft spends 8 grand of taxpayers money to drape a naked statue...because god intended everyone to wear clothes, even though we were born totally exposed....bush limits the expansion of stem cell research which would greatly REDUCE the amount of painfull illnesses and deaths that plague this country, all because he has faith in something that has been cut off from the government. not only that, but he sponsors only southern sporting events, which, no offense, nascar isnt a sport....where was he during the superbowl? only 200 million of the 300 million people in america tune in....he pushes his image to all the southern folk, and they vote for him because he's a likeable guy...he barbeques, he fishes, he hikes, he "roughs it", his image, everyone i talk to who is a bush supporter cannot give me a good political reason for supporting him, all they say is that he's not afraid to stand up against terror...pfft, thats a farse, something created by fox news, im sure there are terrorists trying to plot destruction in america, but they've been doing that since forever...only difference now is that bush can't stop what clinton and those before could. bush is not a good leader, he is a spiritually motivated extreemist. going after saddam was unprovoked, we were attacked by osama bin laden, this is what they told us, however, osama bin laden hides out in afghanistan, so we are told, why then are there a mere 20,000 troops in afghanistan, compared to 140,000 in iraq...where did the mission change? sure, a war on terror includes all fronts, but, shouldnt we finish the search for the primary terrorist, before we go hunting other ones? bush is a buffoon and he makes every american look bad. if kerry wins he will be a mediocre president, but thats a hell of a lot better than what bush has been, and i'll take it....

first, let me state that i agree that bush is the worst thing that has happened to the world since stalin.

i have one technical nitpicking statement to make that is important however:

they let their ultra christian beliefs dictate what we do as a country.

they do not represent true christianity just like the kkk doesn't represent christianity, the zionists do not represent judaism, al qaida does not represent islam and the actions of india 50 years ago did not represent hinduism.

As I've stated in another thread, I consider myself a moderate libertarian. Many libertarians lean Republican rather than Democrat, but for this election, I'm going to vote Kerry over Bush. I think libertarians who vote Republican are kidding themselves. Bush has outspent Clinton's 8 years in just 4, and lest anyone wish to attribute the spending to two wars, just remember that the war in Iraq was not necessary and recall that Reagan fought no wars and still spent like a liberal. It's a joke to think that the Republican party is the party of small, efficient government. The Democrats are all about big spending, but at least they're honest. And frankly, if my tax dollars are going to waste, I'd rather they go to social programs like education and healthcare than increasing the size of the world's most powerful military force or building a missile defense shield that doesn't work and knowing full well our enemies would rather use a suitcase nuke than launch a missile.

I'm voting for Kerry for 4 reasons:

1. A return to Clinton-era economics (the best part of Clinton)

2. A bigger investment in skilled labor & high tech employment

3. A sounder approach to foreign relations

4. He's not Bush

I favored Dennis Kucinich in the beginning because he has a much more "for the people" approach to government, something I feel is lacking in this country. Big business should be able to take care of itself, it's the common person who needs protection in the form of government oversight and standards for environment and business practices.

I hate that it will be big business that gets any major party cantidate elected.

Btw, here is a funny link for Anti-Bushies/Blairies.

The problem is that the US people don't realise how Bush has managed to turn the world against the US. If I ask around (in the UK) pretty much everyone now has a negative opinion of the US.

The intelligent folks realise that it is not the US people who are (entirely) to blame (although they must shoulder some responsibility) but instead their government. And the more 'western' coutries are never going to turn their backs on the US because our economies are so interlinked.

But if you ask the ordinary people, they are amazingly anti-US. The US is almost universally hated. Even if Europe still supports the US on many issues, it is now done because of necessity rather than a common bond or any feeling of friendship.

A desire to reverse thia is imho enough reason to vote for Kerry.

But if you ask the ordinary people, they are amazingly anti-US. The US is almost universally hated. Even if Europe still supports the US on many issues, it is now done because of necessity rather than a common bond or any feeling of friendship.
Did you feel this way 5 years ago? I'd really like an honest answer from all the non-US folks here.

Did you feel this way 5 years ago? I'd really like an honest answer from all the non-US folks here.

No, definitely not. I did think that Americans were rather loud, pompous, arrogant and overbearing (:D) but I did not see America as a rampaging imperial force bent on focing the world to its will. (Well, maybe a little, but only in terms of the behaviour of its corporations rather than its government.)

No, definitely not. I did think that Americans were rather loud, pompous, arrogant and overbearing (:D) but I did not see America as a rampaging imperial force bent on focing the world to its will. (Well, maybe a little, but only in terms of the behaviour of its corporations rather than its government.)
Americans, imho, view themselves as the good guys who want to show everyone else how to do things right. Our intentions are good, but we fail to realize that if everyone in the world consumed resources at the irresponsible rate we do, the world would be stripped bare in a few generations.

I think the main fault (besides our lack of awareness) lies with how huge we've let our corporations get. They have the capital resources of some small governments without the oversight, checks and balances we require from government. Now that they also control television, newspapers and radio, we hear what the corporations want us to hear. Even our entertainment is geared towards making us even better little shoppers. We're rampant consumers instead of concerned citizens and I think this blinds us to the agendas our leaders keep hidden in their back pocket along with their wallets.

As part of the 90% left over, I'm not real happy about it. The one that really steamed me was when he sent us all tax refunds in 2001. I got a check for $600 with propoganda that made it sound like it was from Dubya himself. What most people didn't realize was that the following year we had to give that money back in taxes as part of the whole underhanded scheme (plus being taxed for the refund!). And rather than just letting his announcements over television carry the message, every taxpayer was sent a first class letter informing us of Dubya's generosity. A second letter informed us that the checks would be sent out imminently. Then of course, the checks themselves were cut and mailed first class, rather than simply credited to our taxes. A huge amount of money spent so he could look like a saint.

His dad pulled the same deferred tax crap but was smart enough not to spend millions mailing actual checks with redundant notices.

How do you know that? What is your reasoning behind this?

What does that have to do with Kerry?

War on two fronts is much more difficult. We could have sent more troops into Afganistan and Pakistan.

In a striking about-face' date=' the Bush administration has acknowledged that Earth is warming, and that the most likely cause is burning fossil fuels. The "U.S. Climate Action Report" acknowledged that global warming would "most likely" destroy alpine meadows, barrier islands and coral reefs. It may also cause the disintegration of southern forests. In the West, a decline in snow cover is expected to worsen water problems.

While growth of farm crops and forests is expected to increase, so will storms. Warming will also increase heat stress, air pollution and diseases transmitted by insects and rodents. Nonetheless, the report did not call for measures to combat warming, like conserving fossil fuels or finding alternative sources of energy. Rather, it said Earth and earthlings should [b']adapt[/b] to warming.

Kerry isn't this stupid.

Kerry quote on GLOBAL WARMING

Calling the Democratic Party "soft-money lazy," he vowed to embark on a taxpayer-funded effort equal to the Cold War defense buildup to wean the country off fossil fuels.

"In the late 1940s and early 1950s, the leadership of America defined a threat," Kerry told participants at the EnvironDesign 7 conference. "So what did we do? We took a large amount of our national treasure - your tax money - and we held it out there and said, 'We need to be safe.'"

this is great, just as i expected, this morning while i was watching the news, they came up with a report that osama was ready to be captured...they now have him pinpointed and its a matter of days to a month before american forces move in on him....HAH, what a crock of bull. we've had him for a while, now dubya is going to say we just captured him by some brave heroics and we've ridden the world of a large part of terror...hmm, i cant wait to see his approval rating skyrocket because of all these dumbass voters who actually trust their government...i think there should be an extensive investigation into this report.